Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOA Rules and Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two Founder's Series Powerwall 2's sitting in my garage that I'd like to install, but local electricians are quoting around $10k for a 100->200amp panel upgrade and two Powerwall 2's installation (it seems overpriced to me, given Tesla stating average costs are $2500-4500, plus let's say another $3k for the panel upgrade).

Given Tesla's recent price drop to $8200 for the 4.08 kW solar system, I am thinking about paying the non-refundable $100 from Tesla to get a quote for installing the 4.08 kW system with the two Powerwalls that I already have and the panel upgrade, and possibly get a sub-panel too for essential loads (I want to back up my recently installed Lennox XC16 2-stage AC rated at 109 LRA but with a Soft Start installed, although I've read some threads about negative experience with Lennox). I can't find how much Tesla will charge for installation-only on the Powerwalls, as well as the panel upgrade costs. Given electrician rates in my area, I'm wondering if it won't be significantly more expensive to just get solar and the Powerwalls installed by Tesla (since I'll get the federal tax credit too).

Now before I go ahead and pay the $100 to get Tesla's quote, I decided to go through the HOA rules first (Southern California, SCE, townhomes with attached side walls). Most of the rules are reasonable (such as requirements to have homeowner liability insurance coverage, installers need to be licensed and properly insured, I'd be responsible for damages to common areas, etc). However, there are two points that seem pretty absurd:
  • The HOA may require the solar system to be installed by its chosen contractor.
  • If it's necessary to remove the solar system to perform maintenance or repairs to areas that the HOA is responsible, I have to pay to have the solar system removed and reinstalled with 15 days of notice. If I don't have the solar system removed within 15 days, the HOA can go ahead and remove/reinstall the solar system at my expense, and I'm responsible if they damage any component of the system during removal/reinstallation.
I highly doubt they have a chosen contractor for solar, so I'm not really worried about that clause. However, for the second clause, I understand that the solar system is my responsibility, and if there are any roofing issues with the HOA that I'll have to get involved, but getting the panels removed within 15 days would depend on Tesla's schedule (unless I scramble to find another solar company that would be willing to remove/reinstall solar, and I have no idea how much either Tesla or another solar company would charge for that work). The HOA replaced the single roofs in the neighborhood around 10 years ago (we had some leak issues earlier on given it doesn't rain in our area all that often, but those have since been resolved), so I can't think of why they would make us remove them, but you never know with HOAs. I'm also slightly worried about going with Tesla as the installer given their customer service not being the best in the industry, especially if I have any leak issues when it eventually rains.

I'm curious if others have navigated through unreasonable clauses in their HOA Rules when attempting to install solar. I haven't decided if I want to proceed, or will just end up putting the Powerwall's up for sale (and hope to recoup at least enough cost to pay the taxes on them, but I'm not sure how much Tesla will list the value of the gift for on taxes yet).

Is this a single family home, or some sort of attached home where you share a roof with someone else? Mandating their own installer makes it sound like it must be some sort of attached dwelling, where they are protecting all owners interest that are NOT the people installing solar.

I personally wouldnt be trying to navigate putting solar on an attached dwelling, if that is what this is. Im sure its possible, but I wouldnt want to deal with those headaches.. especially if something happens during install.

If its a single family dwelling, that makes zero sense that they would mandate what contractor someone uses on their own personal property.. never heard that before.... so I am guessing its attached. If so, then all I would say is good luck with it, i am sure you can navigate it if you want to and are diligent but I dont have that kind of patience.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Unfortunately, the HOA rules seem reasonable, if the OP is living in a community where that community has shared ownership of the roof. In that case, the HOA is responsible for protecting the interests of all owners - and those rules are doing that.

Just like the HOA has the right to require their approval prior to installing the system, they also have the right to approve who will be doing work on shared property.

This should be addressed when selecting the solar installer - that installer must commit to meet the HOA rules, including committing to remove the system within 15 days (at the owner's expense), if requested by the HOA.

If the HOA is difficult to work with, that should be a factor in deciding if solar should even be installed.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I doubt the HOA would send a handyman to remove the solar panels, so it’s unlikely that they could get them removed faster (hiring a qualified solar contractor) than you could unless you willfully delayed the call…

Bump.

I live in a townhome as well and am curious if anyone else has had any luck getting PV installed. A few years back I informally asked and essentially it was a non-starter. It didn't bother me at the time because I was nowhere near ready to pull the plug. But I may want to someday.

We do have shared roofs, and the HOA owns and maintains the roofs. Fortunately, they just replaced all of the roofs less than two years ago, so there should be little concern for them having to access the roof.

I am just curious if anyone has managed to make this work.

Join the HOA board and start a serious discussion about how the townhouses should incorporate solar on an individual or shared cost basis, get some ideas written down.
If there's a clubhouse or similar, start with proposing solar there, as a cost savings investment.

Join the HOA board and start a serious discussion about how the townhouses should incorporate solar on an individual or shared cost basis, get some ideas written down.
If there's a clubhouse or similar, start with proposing solar there, as a cost savings investment.
I’ve thought about do that for this reason among many others. So yes definitely a good idea. I just need to get my butt in gear.

I don't know the law in Pennsylvania but in California the Solar Rights Act limits the control an HOA can exert over solar installs.
I have already found a number of items in our HOA contract that are illegal, such as prohibiting tv antennas on the roof (fcc prohibits this). IronI ally they don’t seem to have problems with homeowners sticking satellite dishes anywhere they want, even ground level.

I have already found a number of items in our HOA contract that are illegal, such as prohibiting tv antennas on the roof (fcc prohibits this). IronI ally they don’t seem to have problems with homeowners sticking satellite dishes anywhere they want, even ground level.
Yep, over the years I had to fight my HOA on satellite dishes, OTA antennas, and ham antennas. I won them all. :) Plus 6 10 foot nutcrackers in my backyard facing the lake.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar