Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOA, Solar City, and a Red Delivery Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red delivery button and email showed up today. Problem is that I'm still waiting for Solar City to get back to me on inspecting my condo's garage/electrical so we can put an installation plan in front of my HOA. HOA is all ready to approve (pending some small concerns) but only has monthly meetings and next is coming up at the end of the month. After another call to tell them about the button, Solar City says they should be able to talk to me tomorrow about scheduling the site audit. Hopefully that all works out, otherwise I'll have to get creative about charging for a while.

I know that I can delay delivery for up to thirty days. Anyone know when that clock starts? Is it possible to get a better delivery window (than what the mvpa provided) without triggering that clock? Tried calling PS at Tesla but their phone system seemed to be a bit flakey. Will follow up via email. Any other advice? Never really thought I'd get the car so fast! Oh well, it's a good problem to have. :biggrin:

P9332, finalize button 12/3, signed 12/25, P85, delivery button 1/17

Red delivery button and email showed up today. Problem is that I'm still waiting for Solar City to get back to me on inspecting my condo's garage/electrical so we can put an installation plan in front of my HOA. HOA is all ready to approve (pending some small concerns) but only has monthly meetings and next is coming up at the end of the month. After another call to tell them about the button, Solar City says they should be able to talk to me tomorrow about scheduling the site audit. Hopefully that all works out, otherwise I'll have to get creative about charging for a while.

I know that I can delay delivery for up to thirty days. Anyone know when that clock starts? Is it possible to get a better delivery window (than what the mvpa provided) without triggering that clock? Tried calling PS at Tesla but their phone system seemed to be a bit flakey. Will follow up via email. Any other advice? Never really thought I'd get the car so fast! Oh well, it's a good problem to have. :biggrin:

P9332, finalize button 12/3, signed 12/25, P85, delivery button 1/17

I took delivery yesteday and I have a HOA meeting next week to present the solar city plan to install a NIMA 14-50 plug. I was going to try and put a HPWC in but after Solar City monitored the panel for the circuit they told me that the 14-50 was a beter option. Especially if I ddin't want to trip the brekers for the condo's Pool equipment. for a Condo asthetically the 14-50 will blend in more, so less for the HOA to complain about. Metering will be done just before the plug and not at the pannel room for easier access for the meeter reader. a remote monitoring solution was looked at but was cost prohibitive. Now all I have to do is presnet the plan to the HOA and allow them time to comment before proceding with the install. HI State law prohibits them from denying the install, but it must comply with HOA poicies. with my HOA it comes down to: New Condo + New EV Paradigm = No Policy:wink: (yet. they are working on one):rolleyes:

Guys, thanks for your stories. I'm in a similar situation with my HOA. They are the only thing holding up my signing my pre-MVPA. But my HOA is very very slow. I've been working with them for 15 months. Still no approval. I'm now finally in the last stages. Would you mind sharing the proposal presentation slides you might have with me so I can borrow the format/content. Of course not interested in the details of it, just the format, arguments, etc. I can use in mine. Lt me know if you are willing to share and PM me. I've done some presentations for them already, but need to do one last final one with the details from the electrical contractor to install the 14-50.

Thanks if you can share!

HI State law prohibits them from denying the install, but it must comply with HOA poicies. with my HOA it comes down to: New Condo + New EV Paradigm = No Policy:wink: (yet. they are working on one):rolleyes:

CA state law is fairly similar and I made sure to *very nicely* inform my HOA board and management company of this. Basically I said that CA has given us guidelines that we must follow in SB209 and ensured that everyone had read it. Still, just as you said HOA doesn't really have a policy. I started discussing this with them as soon as I received my "time to finalize" email and while at first the management company was a bit apprehensive, after doing some research and discussing it with me and the board they seem very cooperative and even a bit excited about it. (My fellow home owners on the board were definitely very excited by it. The last condo meeting kept getting side tracked as they were asking me more and more about the car itself and not the installation.) :smile:

My experience with Solar City has been a bit mixed. It started out very good, they were very responsive, understanding with the HOA, and helpful; but since I signed a contract I haven't heard much from them. They required a contract before coming to do a site audit, which they still haven't done. I also plan to get a 14-50 installed and connected to my existing meter. But I still need to know if its technically possible and how we can run the conduits in a way that my HOA can approve (of all things this seems to be their main concern). I have 30 days to cancel with Solar City but only a few days left in that. I know they're busy, but I just want to get this done and approved before my car arrives. I think you're very brave getting your car before the 14-50 is installed, though I'm sure it'll work out. :smile:

Anyhow, no need to go into further details, but predictably this purchase definitely gets quite a bit more complicated when there are more parties involved.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in a similar situation with my HOA. They are the only thing holding up my signing my pre-MVPA. But my HOA is very very slow. I've been working with them for 15 months. Still no approval.

15 months! Ouch! I think I'm lucky, it only took about 15 frantic days to get my HOA on board (though not yet officially). CA law backs me up, I don't know about AZ. At first I thought it might take months, but basically after meeting directly with the board the HOA (really the management company) seemed to start coming along nicely.

I'm now finally in the last stages. Would you mind sharing the proposal presentation slides you might have with me so I can borrow the format/content. Of course not interested in the details of it, just the format, arguments, etc. I can use in mine. Lt me know if you are willing to share and PM me. I've done some presentations for them already, but need to do one last final one with the details from the electrical contractor to install the 14-50.

I'm not really even at that stage yet. I met with my HOA's property manager in person once to go through the electrical room and take pictures for Solar City. She and I discussed possible issues; this open discussion was very helpful. I then met with my HOA board, but as I mentioned in my previous email, those guys were basically sold when they heard the name "Tesla". :wink:

The only form I have is my HOA's architectural review form, and I haven't yet filled it out. It's a pretty standard, generic, and mostly empty form, but I can probably dig it up and PM it to you if you still think it would somehow help. Solar City has agreed to supply wiring diagrams, etc. after the site audit so I can attach them. My HOA also needs Solar City's licensing information and they had their lawyers draft an access agreement for Solar City to sign (still pending that signature, I think). Anyhow, if I do hear back from Solar City soon then I hope to have this information ready by the end of the month. I can probably PM it to you if I have it and you still need it then.

Ryan, they just asked me to fill out the arch review form (they only appointed arch review committee members last month). Sadly, my HOA didn't jump on this idea of supporting EVs. Don't know why. The building is full of affluent, progressive minded folks. Perfect EV owner demo. 25 or so units (out of 104) are still unsold and having a policy on this would only make the place more attractive to prospective buyers. I even had a deal to get 2-4 Blink stations for shared use installed for free (really completely free) with Ecotality, and they couldn't/wouldn't find spots to install them. Just sad. So I'm now going the personal outlet route. I am the only EV owner in the building thus far though.

AZ doesn't yet have a law requiring them to allow EV charging. So they can take their own sweet time. And are.

Thanks for the offer for help with docs. Seems like you aren't needing to do much convincing, so not the same as what I need. So, I'll spare you the trouble of sending for now. Thanks!