Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOA won’t let me install a wall charger (miami) [townhouse]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys, i live in a villa, its like a townhouse but without garage so my parking spots are in front of the driveway, HOA won’t let me install any charger due to the cable will be on the sidewalk(they said its safety hazard) and thats not part of my property, has anyone had this type of problem with the HOA? Thanks

Attachments

• 36EE2A68-865E-4009-A773-7BAE54D79095.jpeg
    36EE2A68-865E-4009-A773-7BAE54D79095.jpeg
    692.6 KB · Views: 563
Hello guys, i live in a villa, its like a townhouse but without garage so my parking spots are in front of the driveway, HOA won’t let me install any charger due to the cable will be on the sidewalk(they said its safety hazard) and thats not part of my property, has anyone had this type of problem with the HOA? Thanks
Some states would override HOA on EV rules.

I agree that underground cabling is a solution.

If there’s no dedicated parking space then the HOA might want to work with Charge Point to install public sidewalk chargers.

Last edited:
That is a safety issue. You will probably need to pay to have power run under the sidewalk and mount the wall charger on a pedestal at the front of your spot. The will probably work with you on some sort of solution that doesn’t involve cables running above ground.
Already told this to the HOA but the answer was that is gonna ruin the aesthetics of the villas because of me having the pedestal in front of my parking lot 🤦🏽‍♂️

Yes, everyone with a public parking space like that will have that same problem. You can not drape an extension cord across common property to charge your car.

You will be looking at either using public charging, getting the HOA to do shared charging for all owners, or putting an underground cable run from your panel to your parking space for either $$$$ or $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Note the requirements in the FL legislation I linked below. Also check whether Miami has any further protections. I'd take the time to do the formal process the HOA prescribes, taking all the requirements in the legislation into account and referencing it. Its one thing to informally tell you no, it's another to do so officially and have to put the reasons in writing. You can include photos of other installs at other developments to counter the aesthetic objection. Use the wall connector with the 8 ft. cord to keep that part as tidy as possible.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and danarcha