Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hokie Model S Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going twice myself (Marshall game and Duke game), but not planning on driving the Tesla. Although I think it would be really cool, it is just not practical due to lack of chargers. I was at the "Drive Change in Virginia" event at RIR, and hopefully with the help of a new Virginia governor and administration (to include the DMV Commissioner!!!), Tesla will get an exception to sell cars in Virginia, and the Superchargers will come! Jim

Any Model S owners heading to Blacksburg this fall for Hokie football? I would love to drive mine down there, but the charging options don't look great.

You could always wait until the Nov 30 game and utilize the excellent facilities that UVA has installed in the central grounds garage :)
Seriously though, take a look at plug share, there are several public charging options in Blacksburg and many along the way. Looks like it's about 210 miles one way from Winchester. Do you have a 60 or 85 battery? I have done 210 miles in my 60 but on I-81 the higher speed would eat up range and you would want to plan a stop for lunch/dinner on the way down and back. If you're a VaTech alum, you should politely harass the school to put in chargers. Maybe pointing out the fact that UVA has a solar powered charger in their parking facility would inspire some friendly competition!

You could always wait until the Nov 30 game and utilize the excellent facilities that UVA has installed in the central grounds garage :)
Seriously though, take a look at plug share, there are several public charging options in Blacksburg and many along the way. Looks like it's about 210 miles one way from Winchester. Do you have a 60 or 85 battery? I have done 210 miles in my 60 but on I-81 the higher speed would eat up range and you would want to plan a stop for lunch/dinner on the way down and back. If you're a VaTech alum, you should politely harass the school to put in chargers. Maybe pointing out the fact that UVA has a solar powered charger in their parking facility would inspire some friendly competition!

I have an 85, so getting there shouldn't be an issue. Just worried about getting home :). I think we'll take the ICE down for the first game and see what our options look like. 60k people coming into Blacksburg for the weekend might result in the public charging optIons being in higher demand than normal. Especially since I'll need to charge all night.

I think I will send a note to the alumni association about putting some chargers into the commuter lots!

Biff: OUCH!!!!

Isletime: Actually, I was at Tech this past weekend (raining the whole game, but at least Tech won!), and I was pleasantly surprised at the EV charging options in Blacksburg (to include the Inn at Virginia Tech, where I am staying for two days)...and they are all free. So, emboldened with that knowledge I can charge once I am there, I am planning to drive my P85 to the Duke game in late October. Looking right now at stopping at the Natural Bridge KOA to get a 50 amp charge for an hour, and go eat at the Pink Cadillac (a 10 minute walk from the KOA).

Plug Me In: Thanks for letting us know! I see you on PlugShare, too.

I'll be heading down in my 85 next week for the UNC game. This will be my longest one way journey to date. If all goes well I'll probably drive to the Duke and Maryland games as well.

That weather last week was brutal. You have to love 3OT when all you want to do is dry off. Tonight's game left me feeling pretty good about Tech's prospects for the remainder of the year.

Isletime: Let me know how your journey went, and how charging in BBurg goes. I have a 55 mile or so longer drive than you (255 miles from my house to BBurg), so I would be very interested in how many kW you used on your trip.

Good trip down. We made it with about 30 miles to spare on a full charge. I averaged between 70-75 for most of the trip. We stayed at the Holiday Inn right across from the Inn at Virginia Tech and I charged at the Kroger gas station right behind our hotel. Two J1772 spots at 30A. It took about 11 hours to get back to full. I checked out the spots at the Inn as well. I would probably feel better about my car sitting there, but the gas station wasn't too bad and it's pretty well lit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381019679.196870.jpg

Regarding that same driving route, I live in Roanoke and travel to Haymarket frequently via I81 to 66. It is about 210 miles. Can that drive be made one way on a single 85 KW charge at I-81 speeds while battling the trucks? Can it be made in winter?
I want to buy a Model S but I have to make this drive every month so it is kind of a big deal to me and it is making me hold back.

Regarding that same driving route, I live in Roanoke and travel to Haymarket frequently via I81 to 66. It is about 210 miles. Can that drive be made one way on a single 85 KW charge at I-81 speeds while battling the trucks? Can it be made in winter?
I want to buy a Model S but I have to make this drive every month so it is kind of a big deal to me and it is making me hold back.

I've made the trip twice now and have had about 30 miles of range left on the trip down to Blacksburg, and about 40 left on the return. The trip is 208 miles door to door. I've heard that I should expect a 10-15% hit in the winter, but I haven't driven mine in cold weather yet to verify.

@Study Joe,

I've taken a trip with somewhat similar distance and terrain (Frederick MD to Pittsburgh PA) and no stop to charge in between. It's ~200 miles with about 500' net elevation gain and lots of hills. The two times I've gone so far, I've used 220-230 miles of rated range for that segment, so perhaps 330-350 Wh/mi, with 2-4 additional passengers in the car. In each case I used minimal air conditioning (but it was on the whole time) and I generally kept my speed consistent with traffic flow (5-10 mph over).

Since I actually start the trip in northern VA and therefore don't leave Frederick with a full charge, I'm not convinced I could make the trip in the winter, at least not without a supercharger or other additional stop, or a MUCH longer stop in Frederick. (Both times so far I've spent 60-90 minutes charging while I ate dinner.)

The good news for you is according to Plugshare/Recargo, it looks like there are several charging options along I-81, e.g. Staunton, Harrisonburg, and a couple rest stops, so if your rated range appears to be dropping faster than you're comfortable with, you could stop and pick up some additional power. The key for you, though, will be having a place (and enough time) to recharge in Haymarket before you return to Roanoke. For my trip to Pittsburgh, I realized I had to charge for at least 13 hours (@20mi/hr) in order to get back to 100% (range charge) and make it back to Frederick, where I could pick up another 20-30 miles of range during dinner and then finish the trip back to DC/NoVA.

Thanks for the advice. My parents live in Haymarket, so I was thinking if I install a 240 V line or even a high power wall charger at their place I could use it as a recharge point. I would have to look at the cost though. I often stop in Harrisonburg at the Starbucks on Port Republic. It would be great if they had a charger near there, but I think the Harrisonburg Electric Company charging site is a good distance from there. I am a JMU grad, so I am thinking of getting in touch with the alumni association and asking if the university has considered an EV charging point especially given their focus on technology in recent years. It would definitely be a great charging point for travel to Blacksburg as well.