Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold 90 days after OD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to change my MYLR order to a P but I’m worried that it might come before my current lease is up in July.

The current delivery date for my MYLR is June/July so that lines up perfectly.

SA is telling me that the P will come in March or April and that it’s impossible to place a hold 90 days after the OD.

MY OD was 12/4 and he’s telling me that after 3/4 if I try to place a hold I will have to cancel.

Is this true? I’m a bit surprised because this is NOT what my SA said when I placed the OD back in December.

Please advise thanks!

So I ordered mine in October 21 with delivery of august 22 which is what I was looking for also because I want it after may when I get my bonus. Then in the app I get a date of fen - march. I called SA and said that this is way off the mark and they said they can put it on hold until august for me since that was original delivery date. Next, I get email from Tesla around feb 15th stating that I need to remove from hold by feb 26th or they will cancel order. If I put this on hold again they will also cancel order. I called SA about the email. SA said they changed policy and they can’t do anything other than doing another order. I would lose my $250 and would have to pay $2k more for the change. From what I understand any change is a new order. So you will lose the $250 and have to pay the new car price. Basically you get the car when they have it ready for you or you have to forfeit your $250. They aren’t going to care about your situation.

Sigh, it is actually stipulated in the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement (at least mine as of 1/6):

If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.

As much as I hate it, I think it's fair, especially in this market. I put my order on hold recently and the longest they would do is 30 days. The policy does go on to state that you may be offered the option to reconfigure your vehicle at the current price which I guess at least makes sure the $250 doesn't go to waste.

To be honest, I wish Tesla would switch back to the original reservation system from the Model 3 which was $1,000 reserve, $5,000 to convert to build. Even if it was $250 to reserve, the $5k or some other sizable amount basically states, yes I'm ready and I'm going to put skin in the game. I think it would give them better control over their production forecasting than having to layer on multiple unpublished policies to crack down on holds. Unfortunately, I think most consumers also extend themselves and rely on trade equity for a down payment so that would probably flatten the order curve.

My main thing is why give an estimate that is 8 months off. If you don’t know your production that well then you should honor your original date. They are already off by their 90days. Also why not have your SAs trained up to properly handle the situation up front?

Reactions: Gutta420