Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hold" and friction braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have started to try standard regenerative braking and try to come to a stop by slowly releasing the accelerator pedal when I come to a stop sign or a traffic light. But I have noticed two things.

At a stop sign sometimes it does not come to a full stop and it becomes a rolling stop unless I hit the brake and stop for a moment and then apply the accelerator. Sometimes we have cops here who hide behind the bushes, waiting to give a ticket for these rolling stops since they have evidence on camera and it is easy money for their department. How do people manage to come to a full stop at the stop sign and then restart. Especially if there are a few cars in front of you at the stop sign and it is stop and go.

The second situation arises in the morning rush hours while I slow down and come down to 0 or 1 mph but the lights take 2-3 minutes to change. If I keep my foot on the accelerator it tends to creep forward. If I let it go it sometimes tends to roll back. I found the least stressful thing to do is to press the brake till the hold sign comes on. Then I take my foot off and wait for the lights to change and press the accelerator to release the hold.

Does these 2 situations add much to friction braking or is it just a blip in the pad use.

I have started to try standard regenerative braking and try to come to a stop by slowly releasing the accelerator pedal when I come to a stop sign or a traffic light. But I have noticed two things.

At a stop sign sometimes it does not come to a full stop and it becomes a rolling stop unless I hit the brake and stop for a moment and then apply the accelerator. Sometimes we have cops here who hide behind the bushes, waiting to give a ticket for these rolling stops since they have evidence on camera and it is easy money for their department. How do people manage to come to a full stop at the stop sign and then restart. Especially if there are a few cars in front of you at the stop sign and it is stop and go.

The second situation arises in the morning rush hours while I slow down and come down to 0 or 1 mph but the lights take 2-3 minutes to change. If I keep my foot on the accelerator it tends to creep forward. If I let it go it sometimes tends to roll back. I found the least stressful thing to do is to press the brake till the hold sign comes on. Then I take my foot off and wait for the lights to change and press the accelerator to release the hold.

Does these 2 situations add much to friction braking or is it just a blip in the pad use.

Teslas do not have "true" one pedal driving. You need to engage the friction brake using the brake pedal to go from 5mph to 0. Its "possible to coast to a stop (before a few people chime in here and say "I do it!") but its not designed to stop you completely with regen braking. The "regular" way to do it is the way you described. Let off the go pedal, slowing down, and then engage the friction brake at the end of that to stop (and press it a little harder to enter hold mode).

Then, get ready to press the go pedal to go.

Your getting there :) . I knew you could do it :D

Most of the miles on my M3P are freeway. It will be interesting to see what pad life is with minimal braking from the pedal.

I think near the beginning, Elon was saying "lifetime" (rofl).... but I am expecting to get 100-150k miles at least out of my brakes since the vast majority of my braking is done using regen, with the friction brakes used to go from 5 mph to 0 when needed. Every couple of months, I go and re "bed in" my brakes because when I need to use real brakes, I want them to actually grab.

Reactions: Phlier
I think near the beginning, Elon was saying "lifetime" (rofl).... but I am expecting to get 100-150k miles at least out of my brakes since the vast majority of my braking is done using regen, with the friction brakes used to go from 5 mph to 0 when needed. Every couple of months, I go and re "bed in" my brakes because when I need to use real brakes, I want them to actually grab.

Why a "rofl?". I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes on these cars lasts the life of the car (unless tracking, of course).

Why a "rofl?". I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes on these cars lasts the life of the car (unless tracking, of course).

I just find the idea of "lifetime" anything somewhat humorous. They very well could last the "lifetime" of the car... but it depends on what that lifetime is, and how someone drives and uses or doesnt the friction brakes. I know people who have BMWs that burn through their brakes in 30-40k miles, and I know people with the same model car and brakes who dont have to change them for 80-100k miles.

Brakes is an item that depends on how one uses it, so just having a blanket "lifetime" statement for something like that I find humorous. I expect my brakes to last probably 200k miles on this car.. maybe more hopefully.

Reactions: VoyageWOCarbon

Simple answer for your two scenarios... if you are going less than 5mph when you use the brakes...brake pad usage will be a "blip in the pad use"

Reactions: Kamban
I've been doing rolling stops FAR more than I was in my ICE car - I'm just waiting until the day I get the ticket.

Stop signs/lights are the only time I find myself moving my foot to the brake pedal, otherwise I'm in AP. Can't wait until AP or NoA can act on stop signs/lights.