Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold mode in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see if this is normal behaviour for everyone in cold weather at this point. I've turned on Hold mode since I got it but now that it's getting colder (at or below 0c) I'm pretty much back to 2 pedal driving because regen is limited (showing dots) and the car just coasts! I was hoping/expecting the Hold mode to use more friction brakes but still stop the car in the same distance as it would have with full regen available. That way we could count on knowing how the car will behave when taking our foot off the accelerator all year round.

I'm hoping they update this feature to handle cold weather better so that even in winter I'll be able to count on one pedal driving!

I wanted to see if this is normal behaviour for everyone in cold weather at this point. I've turned on Hold mode since I got it but now that it's getting colder (at or below 0c) I'm pretty much back to 2 pedal driving because regen is limited (showing dots) and the car just coasts! I was hoping/expecting the Hold mode to use more friction brakes but still stop the car in the same distance as it would have with full regen available. That way we could count on knowing how the car will behave when taking our foot off the accelerator all year round.

I'm hoping they update this feature to handle cold weather better so that even in winter I'll be able to count on one pedal driving!
Makes sense that it works this way. Hold mode is only used to slow the car after ~ 5-10 km/h. If they had friction brakes coming on when Regen was limited for one pedal driving you would be working the electric motors purposefully against the friction brakes. Aside from not being smart long term, there's probably also a tonne of code that would need to be re written to allow that.

Currently if you press the brakes and go pedal at the same time you get a message on screen, but no power is applied to the motors. At a minimum that would have to be bypassed which could lead to other problems (but maybe also allow for some fun burnouts!)

Reactions: bijan

I have the exact same issue as you