Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold Steering Wheel every 20-25 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please delete your post. You are publicly advocating something demonstrably unsafe in a public forum. It is posts and behaviors like this that force Tesla to have the nags in the first place and ruin it for the rest of us.

Well, I never had to do it before this 20 second rule. This says a lot about how great Tesla has improved the product. We are just being victims of Tesla because of public pressure. I'm pretty sure at some point when auto radios where introduced in the market there were some people saying they would cause accidents because people would be distracted while driving.. . In two or three years most automakers will have similar AP solutions and this will not be a problem anymore.

The most important thing when you drive is visual awareness, not the hands on the wheel. This 20 second rule fails for two reasons:

1- if you're distracted but still holding the wheel, your car will assume you're aware and not display any alarms. Before that at least when you were not holding the wheel the AP would trigger an alert for you to hold the wheel. Right now, if you're distracted you will only notice when it's too late.

2 - you spend most of the driving looking at the dashboard checking if you're having nags, unless you drive with one hand only.

People will probably say "you can't be distracted while driving". Well, that is a rule for all drivers, AP or not, so just stop making the system unusable and make the users responsible for their actions.

I never have to wiggle the wheel, I just rest my hand in either the 5 or 7 o'clock position, touching the 6 o'clock portion of the wheel, never get a nag.

As has been posted probably a hundred times in this thread, everybody agrees that one hand on the wheel avoids the nags. The problem is having two hands on the wheel does not avoid the nags because they balance each other.

The most important thing when you drive is visual awareness, not the hands on the wheel.
[...]
2 - you spend most of the driving looking at the dashboard checking if you're having nags, unless you drive with one hand only.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. Tesla has absolutely no way of measuring driver attentiveness to the road, and Tesla's nag system specifically requires attentiveness to the instrument cluster rather than the road. Elon was too cheap to put in an eye tracker. Also too cheap to put in a HUD so that you could actually see the visual alerts while keeping your eyes on the road. GM SuperCruise and Comma.ai both have eye trackers but somehow that wasn't good enough for Elon. We're all paying the price for those decisions.

Maybe they could vibrate the wheel instead of using visual alerts? The nice thing about that is that you will only feel the vibration if you have your hands on the wheel in the first place, so if you respond to vibration the car can be pretty sure you have your hands on the wheel. Still no solution for determining if you have your eyes on the road.

I get the hold the wheel warning every 20 seconds or so even when I'm holding the wheel. I have to yank on the wheel to get the message to go away. AP1 is now dead.

Yep, AP1 and AP2 for the folks that have enough common sense to know when something is not working right!
The koolaid drinks well they will just learn to live with it and make up excuses about it being for safety!

[QUOTE="An actual touch-sensitive steering wheel would be vastly better and is definitely possible even under a leather-like covering with modern capacitive touch sensors.[/QUOTE]

They should have used touch-sensors in the first place and we would not be having this problem and discussion right now.

They should have not put out a crappy firmware patch to hide the perceived safety problem, They need to fix the problem!

Well ALL PAID enough money for a high end vehicle.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I've been using AP for 2 years now and been very happy with it.
Now - every trip I'm taking the "red hands" will show up eventually.
Haven't quite figured out when and why.
The way I grab and hold the wheel has to be adjusted it seems.
I'm certainly not happy with changing the way I have used AP very succesfully for years.
I understand that a couple of drivers have apparently misused AP and have died as the consequence.
Or maybe they had a blackout - fell asleep, got distracted by a phone call or whatever.
Happens all the time - AP or not.
"Red hands" and disabling autosteer is not the way forward.
Autosteer is added safety and should always be available.

Its because Tesla sent out a firmware fix and screwed your autopilot up and they won't admit it. They are hiding behind "in the name of safety"

I just put a small water bottle at 9 o'clock on the wheel. Works like a charm. No nags at all. This whole "grab the wheel" is just stupid. You can have a normal car and choose to make you whole trip playing with the radio buttons and you're not blaming the radio manufacturer when you have an accident. You're responsible for the way you drive, that's it. Tesla should make you sign a waiver because it's new tech, so you're assuming full responsabily for the way you use it and then go back to the way it was when I bought my car with 7.1 (more or less a nag every 15mins).

Gee, are you actually going to go out a limb and say that we are all adults and should be responsible for our own actions. Including paying attention when we drive??? And not try and blame someone else??? :) :) :) :

• Funny
Reactions: Sousagil90D
Just and update to my email to Mr David Cohen from Executive Care....

Nothing......

No response from him even acknowledging that he received the email reply from me.

No response that he will look into the problem or that the problem will be looked into by somebody else .....

Maybe there is a holiday in Amsterdam and he has not checked his email in 3 days.

I agree that something needs to be done about this autopilot screw-up from Tesla.

The simple solution is a touch-sensitive steering wheel Tesla!

NOT making the driver fight the autopilot steering (that is doing an excellent job of steering the vehicle) to let the car autopilot know that we are paying attention and have our hands on the wheel! This is just plain CRAZY!

Updated response back from Tesla

After I posted that I had not received a response back in 3 days from Mr Cohen. I did finally receive a response back.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Inc.

I am sorry hearing you are disappointed with the changes brought by the recent firmware updates of your vehicle. As you may know, Autosteer detects your hands by recognizing light resistance as the steering wheel turns, or from you manually turning the steering wheel very lightly.

With that said, I have well have logged your feedback in the system in order to bring it to the attention of our engineers.

We rely on the dedication of owners such as yourself to help us perfect and refine our vehicles, and we truly appreciate the input you have provided today. Please continue to keep us informed and be honest with anything that may arise in the future.

Thank you again for your comments and for the trust you place in us.

Kind Regards,

David Cohen | Executive Care
Burgemeester Stramanweg 122 | 1101EN Amsterdam

www.tesla.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First off, I wish I had his job hours where I could wait a full 3 days before finally getting around to responding back to a customer who took the time to email about a concern.

This is again a weak response from a Tesla PR person that really has no solution to the problem. Nore does he even know what is happening to fix it.

This line is a good one.

"We rely on the dedication of owners such as yourself to help us perfect and refine our vehicles, and we truly appreciate the input you have provided today. Please continue to keep us informed and be honest with anything that may arise in the future."

WOW, it should read more like. "We screwed up the firmware update and did not test it out properly before sending it out. So, rely on pissed off customers to give us feedback that we screwed things up in the autopilot feature so we can someday fix it."

Reactions: MIT_S60
My 85D from Nov 2015 won't download 2018.26 (Denmark). Tried several times with and w/o wifi.
Is new nagging changed wrt the stupid change that only shows a white band at top of the screen typically disguised by the wheel ?
Anyways I've learned myself to always have my left hand resting on the wheel in a somewhat comfortable position to avoid nags altogether.