Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold vs Park - caution for new owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm embarrassed to admit this stupid thing that I did, but I'll share it as a caution for new Tesla owners.

I've had my MY for 2 months and it's been great so far. Absolutely love it, but I'm still getting used to it.

Yesterday I came home, parked near by garage where I recharge, and then reached to grab something from the back seat. In doing that, I accidentally tapped the accelerator pedal and the car plowed into a pile of junk in front of the car. Arrgh! I guess I never developed the habit if putting the car into "park" because it automatically does that when I open the car door to get out. So the car was still in "hold", and just waiting for me to accelerate again. Being in "hold", along with the car being so totally silent, I guess I was thinking that I was in park, as if I had come home in an ICE car and shut the engine off.

Fortunately there's no damage to my car other than a very small scuff, but it could have been bad.
From now on, I will get into the habit of pressing the "park" button when I stop somewhere. That will be my mental equivalent of turning the key to shut off an ICE car.

Also make sure that under Active Safety Features - Collision Avoidance Assist that you have Obstacle Aware Acceleration set to be on.

Obstacle Aware Accelerations reduces acceleration if the Model Y detects an object in its immediate driving path. If you accidentally press the go pedal and the Tesla vehicle detects something its path then the Tesla Model Y will limit the power applied to the vehicle's motors limiting any damage.

I'm embarrassed to admit this stupid thing that I did, but I'll share it as a caution for new Tesla owners.

I've had my MY for 2 months and it's been great so far. Absolutely love it, but I'm still getting used to it.

Yesterday I came home, parked near by garage where I recharge, and then reached to grab something from the back seat. In doing that, I accidentally tapped the accelerator pedal and the car plowed into a pile of junk in front of the car. Arrgh! I guess I never developed the habit if putting the car into "park" because it automatically does that when I open the car door to get out. So the car was still in "hold", and just waiting for me to accelerate again. Being in "hold", along with the car being so totally silent, I guess I was thinking that I was in park, as if I had come home in an ICE car and shut the engine off.

Fortunately there's no damage to my car other than a very small scuff, but it could have been bad.
From now on, I will get into the habit of pressing the "park" button when I stop somewhere. That will be my mental equivalent of turning the key to shut off an ICE car.
Thank you for this!!! I am still waiting for my first Tesla, and I have been wondering about the parking situation with a Tesla. This helps a lot!

You are supposed to just say that the car took off all on it's own. You couldn't stop it! You had your foot on the brake and everything. :)

Seriously, thanks for the info. One thing with an EV is that there's no engine noise, so new owners may assume they're stopped and parked and the "go pedal" won't do anything.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert

:
Since we're admitting doing stupid things, I can offer one. I quickly got used to the hold feature and got into the habit of the car putting itself into park when I opened the door. Pretty cool.

When I stopped at our mailbox ... in our Honda Pilot ... for some reason it stayed in drive as I started to step out of the car. That ended well, but I now try to stop and think before opening the door.

My best solution would be to just have two Teslas.

One thing with an EV is that there's no engine noise, so new owners may assume they're stopped and parked and the "go pedal" won't do anything.
Exactly! After a lifetime of experiencing car engine sounds and vibrations, the utter silence of an EV at rest is throwing off my instincts. But my new habit will be to never unfasten the seat belt without pushing the "park" button first.