Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding my breath

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you currently own a car (doesn’t apply with a lease) you can grab the plate now then transfer it. Sure it won’t make sense yet, but you will have it.
I had to do this when I ordered my personalized plate (my avatar) before getting my car. I had thought I could order it and then wait a couple of months until I picked it up from the DMV but they said I had to assign it to a car or it would be cancelled. So for a couple of months the plate was on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I searched the Ohio DMV license plate database. The following plates are still available.

TESLA LR
3 ALSET
ALSET 3
MODL 3
MDL III
MODL III

I hope one of them, especially the first, is still available when I get my M3
I never understood people who put the name of the car on the license plate...it's right next to the car's OWN badging.

Just in case 1 person is confused that you're driving a tesla?

Oh, and to make sure you know, the state of Ohio now lets us pay an additional $200 a year for plates because EV money grab.

(yes, we should pay something for the roads, but it should be significantly less than $200 especially since we aren’t even driving during COVID.)

Both of the ones we have on the 3 Teslas that we have owned were pre-ordered. And Tesla, being as prompt as they were about delivery times, caused us concern and the subsequent threat of returning the plates being held at DMV. But, both times, I went to that DMV office and explained the delay, and they gladly held them - the last one for over six months (kept checking on it) as M3 introduction and delivery kept being delayed. Each time, they made a little note on the envelope - that solved it.