Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding on to your Roadster. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And soon there will be one less on the planet. :(

View attachment 264090
I interpret that as Elon storing his favorite car in a deep space cryogenic preservation orbit around another planet to keep it nice and safe. There’s no other way to keep it in mint condition for up to 6 billion years.

Then when he decides to move to Mars one day he will be able to retrieve it as his daily driver.

Worst case scenario it will be a nice time capsule for future generations or an attractive booty for space pirates who wish to reap the the rewards of the unearthly value appreciation this car is going to experience (hopefully starting very soon ).

Only buy if you really like the old Roadsters - then you can't lose. You'll want to keep your Roadster. Nothing wrong with that. I have bought cars I liked - and refuse to buy a car I don't get excited to own. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night hoping a car I bought STRICTLY FOR INVESTMENT is going to go up in value. I don't even like to buy and sell cars - too much trouble. I love cars and buy what I like.

2500 production is not rare in the car collecting world - in the production world of new cars it is. With thousands out there, somebody is always willing to sell if price escalates, which holds down the price. Also, being rare doesn't mean being valuable.

The main thing that holds back the first Roadsters is the second generation is so much better - worlds better. People with old roadsters are dreaming their Roadster will go up so they can sell and get the real Roadster, the 2020 with 0-60 of 1.9 seconds and quarter mile ET of 8.8, plus a much improved suspension and supercharging. This sentiment might be causing hype. You can't afford 200K? Maybe the Roadster you paid 45K for will go up to 200K and you can have a new Roadster. This won't happen. Your goose is cooked.

The original Roadster definitely has some special interest to its story, but so does the Pantera sports car, which never went up in value like people predicted. They went up a little, but none of the big buyers want them. There are too many better alternatives. Overall, Tesla's original Roadster has many problems something people with 200K disposable dollars do not want to deal with. The original Roadster's styling is not exotic. The car looks too much like the car it was based on. All you have to do is look at the market and see how many of Roadsters are for sale.

So beware - don't buy to make money, buy for the excitement and joy of the purchase, which is what I have now with a 50K deposit on a new Roadster. I have fun Roadster dreams every day.

I think there will be two upcoming events that will persuade a few roadster owners to sell. One is the availability of Model 3. Roadster owners will be selling to make room. The other is Roadster 2.0. There will be selling to help pay for the upgrade.

There are many collector cars with production numbers that far exceed 2500. You also have to consider that buyers of classics have choices. There are lots of different makes and models from 57’ to choose from. With the roadster, there was literally nothing else like it spanning from 2008 through arguably 2020. That’s slim pickings when spread out over the time span.

Going electric seems to change people at the core. It is a very irreversible transition kinda like owning your first smartphone. For many there’s no going back. Collectors who catch the bug might begin to look at past cars through a different lens. They are going to need get their electron fix.

I've enjoyed reading the comments on this topic. Here is my perspective: The Tesla Roadster will be recognized in history as the catalyst for the electric car revolution. Although I appreciate the analogies mentioned of other cars, keep in mind that there were 76,000 Porsche 356s produced - compared to 2,500 Roadsters. The new Roadster will help its value by increasing the prestige of the model. Many years from now, I can envision Tesla coming out with a replacement battery pack with 500 miles.... breathing new life into the car for the next generation. The Roadster owners on this forum will play a significant role in determining whether the car appreciates in price - depending on what price you are willing to sell it. I believe the original roadster will be seen as an important piece of automotive history but in the meantime.... it is a blast to drive!
View attachment 262367

I just stumbled across this thread and noticed the photo, #869, and your location match up to being my old Roadster. :) Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just wanted to say it still looks GREAT and I hope it's treating you well. I loved the heck out of that car. I also agree that long term, the Roadsters will be extremely collectible.

The new Roadster 2020 will change the Mk 1 prices and values (Lotus Elise DNA)
Unless you've had the R80 upgrade the doomsday / battery life expectancy and PEM health are a limiting factor.
Expect prices will start to fall from 2020.

Reactions: AtAge19
As someone who's studied the Roadster market for the past six years, I still believe the following will hold the highest value in the future:
Validation Prototypes (VINs VP01-VP32)
Founders Series (VINs F01-F25)
Signature 100 (U.S. Production VINs 1-100)
Final Five (U.S. Production VINs 1460-1464)

Dont' forget: VP33, & VP201
Founders' #26, & #27

The new Roadster 2020 will change the Mk 1 prices and values (Lotus Elise DNA)
Unless you've had the R80 upgrade the doomsday / battery life expectancy and PEM health are a limiting factor.
Expect prices will start to fall from 2020.

This explanation is the bear argument. The bull argument will be that the Roadster 2020 will be a huge success and collectors will want to have the classic version of the car. Who's right? Time will tell.

Do we know that the PEM that one gets with the R80 upgrade includes new / refurbished insulation under the power FETs? I've not seen any documentation one way or the other.
FWIW - When I had discussed the option of replacing my battery & PEM (vs replacing the insulation myself) the Roadster tech (who has been in it since the start of Tesla time and is very knowledgeable) said he "did not think" they had changed the insulation.

Commenting way back to the OP. If you are able to connect your car to even a 120V 15A outlet, using the mobile connector with the VDS set to 12A is likely the safer bet to keep the battery in tip top shape over periodically driving the car to someplace to top up the battery. Your line about "top it off" when needed implies its not continuously connected to a charger (when not driven) is concerning. Of course, Tesla manual does warn about having a car covered while charging, so you can't follow both Telsa's manual and the practice of many Roadster owners. If the car is near by where you live, perhaps keep it covered but do the topping off far more frequently while you are near the car and can monitor for any issues. Once a week I'd think would be far better than once every month or so.

On Roadster day one, people at the shows said "That looks great, what is it? Why on earth did you pay that much for a battery powered car?"

Five years ago they said "That looks great, what is it?"

This year at the Father's Day Cars & Croissants, they said "OMG, that's the original Tesla, it's sick*. Where's Dad? He needs to see this." - That's the generation that, I hope grows up, gets insanely rich and wants to buy into a slice of history so I can have a comfortable retirement :)

Meanwhile, I'll just have some fun on the weekends whilst my ordinary Model 3 does the donkey work.

(* It's not, it's working just fine.)

On Roadster day one, people at the shows said "That looks great, what is it? Why on earth did you pay that much for a battery powered car?"

Five years ago they said "That looks great, what is it?"

This year at the Father's Day Cars & Croissants, they said "OMG, that's the original Tesla, it's sick*. Where's Dad? He needs to see this." - That's the generation that, I hope grows up, gets insanely rich and wants to buy into a slice of history so I can have a comfortable retirement :)

Meanwhile, I'll just have some fun on the weekends whilst my ordinary Model 3 does the donkey work.

(* It's not, it's working just fine.)

I was charging my Roadster in a shopping center parking lot (mostly so the battery would go through a cooling cycle --it was a very hot day) and a kid of about 19 came up excitedly and said "wow, you have an original Roadster! I've never seen one of these in person before..." and he continued to ask me various questions about it and what it's like to have one.

So, this question continued to percolate in my head, and I realized there's a dynamic at work. We're talking about collector value here, and you have to analyze what categories of collectors-as-such would want to have a Roadster in their collection.

1. Nostalgia collectors. These are what drive the bulk of the "classic cars" market, and they are basically people either wanting to recapture their youth, or they are wanting to finally own that car they lusted for (but never got) in their youth. This is what made the Ford Mustang the massive collectible that it is among baby boomers. (I'm GenX myself, so I long for either the curvy Corvette Stingray that was so cool when I was a little kid, or the sleek Pontiac Firebird that I kicked the tires on but didn't actually get when I was just out of high school.) However, the original Roadster was never common enough, it never held a large enough place in the public consciousness to have any impact with this category of collectors. It'll never happen.

2. Brand collectors. Just like there are Porsche collectors, Ferrari collectors and Corvette collectors, I assume that if Tesla continues to produce exciting cars there someday will be Tesla collectors. Obviously that's not going to happen for A While. The company and brand has to continue to grow and develop, they have to produce enough models and variants to be interesting to collect, and probably a new generation of collectors will have to grow up with the brand.

3. EV collectors. I don't think this category has any meaningful existence now, and it's only speculation on my part that EV collecting may someday become a thing. I do see a huge transition taking place in the automotive world as we go to electric power, and it seems plausible that some people will mark that change in eras by collecting the cars that represent it. If you want an iconic "early modern BEV" that epitomizes the very beginning of this transition, then your options are basically: GM EV1, Toyota RAV4 EV, AC Propulsion tzero, Venturi Fétish, and Tesla Roadster. The EV1 is unobtainium, RAV4 is boring, the tzero and Fétish are obscure unicorns, and that basically leaves the Tesla Roadster as the one thing you must have on your shopping list.

4. Jay Leno. Of course I don't just mean the Jay Leno, but I'm including anybody like him who has the money, time and interest to indulge an eclectic collection of interesting and perhaps oddball vehicles that don't necessarily fit into any neat category. This is the only category of collector that is likely to want a Roadster in their garage today, in 2018. The problem here is that there aren't a whole lot of Jay Lenos in the world, and most of them presumably snagged a Roadster already when it was in production. Occasionally you will have new Jay Lenos appearing (perhaps consciously inspired by the example of the Jay leno), and occasionally you will have some passing out (or, inevitably, passing away), but the turnover rate is pretty low.

So in summary… Nostalgia is unlikely to ever be a factor. The Lenos of the world are out there, but seem unlikely to ever drive Roadster demand much beyond where it already is. That leaves category 2 and possibly maybe 3, the Tesla collectors and the EV collectors, and those will take time to appear. It'll require a generational shift. My prediction is that, assuming Tesla continues to be a viable brand (if not independent company!) well into the future, at some point the Roadster will become a highly valued collectible, but I'm not talking about a year from now or even five years from now. It'll be 15, 20 or 25 years for something like that to really develop.

As for myself, if I had unlimited resources I would be another Jay Leno with a gigantic garage and dozens of eccentric and exotic vehicles. I don't have unlimited resources, so I have a 2010 Tesla Roadster and a 1949 Dodge Power Wagon. Since those nail down the extreme opposite ends of the automotive spectrum, I feel like my collection at least matches Leno's in breadth, if not in depth. :D

Which modern electric car will be the first classic? Take our Twitter poll

Quoting from the article:

"The second most logical option is the original Tesla sports car, the Roadster. Sports cars often become classics, because they inspire buyers who may have wanted them but found them too impractical when they were new. Sports cars also often represent the pinnacle of performance for their era.

The Roadster also has the classic advantages of having been the first electric car of the modern era when it went on sale in 2008 and a limited production run, which makes it even more exclusive than the Model S. Many original Roadster owners seem to have squirreled away their cars in anticipation of when they might become classic."

Reactions: AtAge19 and ICON
So, this question continued to percolate in my head, and I realized there's a dynamic at work. We're talking about collector value here, and you have to analyze what categories of collectors-as-such would want to have a Roadster in their collection.

1. Nostalgia collectors. These are what drive the bulk of the "classic cars" market, and they are basically people either wanting to recapture their youth, or they are wanting to finally own that car they lusted for (but never got) in their youth. This is what made the Ford Mustang the massive collectible that it is among baby boomers. (I'm GenX myself, so I long for either the curvy Corvette Stingray that was so cool when I was a little kid, or the sleek Pontiac Firebird that I kicked the tires on but didn't actually get when I was just out of high school.) However, the original Roadster was never common enough, it never held a large enough place in the public consciousness to have any impact with this category of collectors. It'll never happen.

2. Brand collectors. Just like there are Porsche collectors, Ferrari collectors and Corvette collectors, I assume that if Tesla continues to produce exciting cars there someday will be Tesla collectors. Obviously that's not going to happen for A While. The company and brand has to continue to grow and develop, they have to produce enough models and variants to be interesting to collect, and probably a new generation of collectors will have to grow up with the brand.

3. EV collectors. I don't think this category has any meaningful existence now, and it's only speculation on my part that EV collecting may someday become a thing. I do see a huge transition taking place in the automotive world as we go to electric power, and it seems plausible that some people will mark that change in eras by collecting the cars that represent it. If you want an iconic "early modern BEV" that epitomizes the very beginning of this transition, then your options are basically: GM EV1, Toyota RAV4 EV, AC Propulsion tzero, Venturi Fétish, and Tesla Roadster. The EV1 is unobtainium, RAV4 is boring, the tzero and Fétish are obscure unicorns, and that basically leaves the Tesla Roadster as the one thing you must have on your shopping list.

4. Jay Leno. Of course I don't just mean the Jay Leno, but I'm including anybody like him who has the money, time and interest to indulge an eclectic collection of interesting and perhaps oddball vehicles that don't necessarily fit into any neat category. This is the only category of collector that is likely to want a Roadster in their garage today, in 2018. The problem here is that there aren't a whole lot of Jay Lenos in the world, and most of them presumably snagged a Roadster already when it was in production. Occasionally you will have new Jay Lenos appearing (perhaps consciously inspired by the example of the Jay leno), and occasionally you will have some passing out (or, inevitably, passing away), but the turnover rate is pretty low.

So in summary… Nostalgia is unlikely to ever be a factor. The Lenos of the world are out there, but seem unlikely to ever drive Roadster demand much beyond where it already is. That leaves category 2 and possibly maybe 3, the Tesla collectors and the EV collectors, and those will take time to appear. It'll require a generational shift. My prediction is that, assuming Tesla continues to be a viable brand (if not independent company!) well into the future, at some point the Roadster will become a highly valued collectible, but I'm not talking about a year from now or even five years from now. It'll be 15, 20 or 25 years for something like that to really develop.

As for myself, if I had unlimited resources I would be another Jay Leno with a gigantic garage and dozens of eccentric and exotic vehicles. I don't have unlimited resources, so I have a 2010 Tesla Roadster and a 1949 Dodge Power Wagon. Since those nail down the extreme opposite ends of the automotive spectrum, I feel like my collection at least matches Leno's in breadth, if not in depth. :D

VERY well said. I think that category 2 will eventually become quite a large group. I think there are already quite a few of them out there, who cycle through Tesla's pretty quickly (P85-->P85+-->P85D-->P85DL-->P90D-->P100D) because they always want to experience the latest and greatest. If you have the money to get a new Tesla every year and you're interested in doing so, eventually your interest will hark back to something that is limited edition and no longer in production. Roadster fits that bill (as does perhaps a P85+ w/ AP1 in green w/ a grey interior and rear facing seats)

I'm not sure how big group 3 will be, but Roadster fits the bill here perfectly:
- First highway legal EV in the modern EV era
- First EV w/ >200 miles of range
- Longest range EV (2008-2012) & single charge EV record holder (301 miles), subsequently broken in 2012/2013
- Fastest EV (2008-2014)
- First car in space (2018)
Also, at just 2500 total production, they are quite rare. For perspective, Lamborghini made more Murcielago's (4100) than Roadsters.

@ecarfan you still have Roadster 425?

I don’t think category 2 will ever be a meaningful demographic. Tesla intends to be a mass market car company and the current customers are chasing the latest and greatest. Sure, I know a guy who collects old telephones, sliderules, and commodore computers. I don’t see those folks shelling out big bucks for a Roadster.

As for category 3, I’d put that in the same arena as the Delorean; niche vehicle, difficult to work on, and never really appreciated.

I think there’s enough people in the market; mainly in categories 1 and 3, to keep prices steady, but I wouldn’t hold on to the car as an investment.