Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding on to your Roadster. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question wasn't addressed to me, but I will still respond...

If you clean your PEM annually (dependent on your driving conditions) or have it cleaned AND REPLACE YOUR INSULATION before it totally degrades causing a short in the PEM, I do not believe you will have a problem.
I just joined the Roadster fraternity in July, and I remembered reading this post and thinking "I ought to get that done". Then I forgot.

The other day I happened to be walking past the car in the garage when I heard the 3 beeps it gives when there's a problem. The screen said "Drivetrain Failure Service Required". The charge ring was red. I disconnected and reconnected, same beeps, same error. It also had some "charging failed" error underneath. It had nearly a full standard charge, but I didn't want to drive it since it won't charge, so I had it towed to the SC. They told me I need a new PEM. Fortunately, they appear to have found one, and given the challenges I've seen from others in this predicament, I'll just consider myself lucky I can get it fixed in short order, nor do I have to ship my car to Phoenix.

Reactions: AtAge19
I just joined the Roadster fraternity in July, and I remembered reading this post and thinking "I ought to get that done". Then I forgot.

The other day I happened to be walking past the car in the garage when I heard the 3 beeps it gives when there's a problem. The screen said "Drivetrain Failure Service Required". The charge ring was red. I disconnected and reconnected, same beeps, same error. It also had some "charging failed" error underneath. It had nearly a full standard charge, but I didn't want to drive it since it won't charge, so I had it towed to the SC. They told me I need a new PEM. Fortunately, they appear to have found one, and given the challenges I've seen from others in this predicament, I'll just consider myself lucky I can get it fixed in short order, nor do I have to ship my car to Phoenix.

I'm curious how much they quoted you for that PEM replacement.

That's a good point, it should help offset the cost. Curious, do Tesla SCs let you keep old parts like other car companies do? It seems like PEMs and old battery packs would have significant value.
I asked about this, and the local SC said it depends. In general, if the part is replaced under warranty, they keep it. If not under warranty, you get to keep it, if you want. But I expect there are exceptions, for example, the ESS is going to be a swap, regardless of any warranty. Not sure about the PEM, but I would guess the same. My question was asked in the context of the PEM / Motor fan, and for that I would have been able to keep it, had they replaced it.

$9000 for the part. I asked if refurbishing my existing PEM was an option and he said that's not something the SCs do because of the extensive labor involved. Replacing it should just be a 3 hour job.

I would bet that Medlock & Sons in Seattle would be able to not only repair the PEM, but fully upgrade it to prevent future failures for less than that price.

Reactions: Sig72
Gruber Motor Company can refurbish that PEM for about $5000, but then you’d have to add shipping costs - although you can also ship the PEM only and not the entire car. Not sure how practical that is, but just putting it out there.

Does anyone know if Tesla remanufactured PEMs are Frankenstein assembled units made from spare parts the mothership has in stock or if they actually go in and replace the insulation and other wear and tear components?

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
Does anyone know if Tesla remanufactured PEMs are Frankenstein assembled units made from spare parts the mothership has in stock or if they actually go in and replace the insulation and other wear and tear components?

I asked a similar question when I had mine replaced. First, as we all know, wedon't receive the same PEM back as that would take forever and a day.

According to the tech, the PEM we do receive is completely rebuilt, not just the single component which went bad.
I'm just relaying the info, I do not know if it is true.

I was worried about receiving someone else's PEM which may have had a prior heat issues leading to near insulator failure which would then occur just as my new PEM goes out of warranty.. of course.

I’m the second owner of a once daily-driver 2011 Roaster 2.5 with about 70K miles on it. The car recently came out of the body shop for some minor cosmetic surgery and is now in absolutely perfect condition. I also replaced the leather seats and all the interior carpeting. Mechanically all is perfect and it charges to about 155 on a regular charge and just over 200 on a range charge. I plan to keep the car off the road save for the periodic short road trip into the mountains/desert, etc. I have a covered place to park it 24/7 and top it off when needed. I adore the car overall.

Is this thing going to actually appreciate in value, ever? Am I being financially responsible just holding this thing? It’s basically a sculpture – but a damn gorgeous one. . .

Let’s have a serious discussion about current/future values of our Roadsters.

The Slate Money podcast recently did a series on investing in things that do not produce a cash flow. Art, wine, metals & crypto, cars. On the subject of cars, the ones that sell for a lot of money are the ones that were iconic in their day, and rich people who were kids in the heyday of the car are willing to pay big bucks for it now. 2,500 Roadsters were built. They were never iconic outside of the narrow fraternity of EV enthusiasts. If only 25 of a stamp was ever printed, there's a huge demand because stamp-collecting is a thing. Few very rich people are going to think back to when their dad had a roadster and nobody is going to think back to their first sexual encounter in one. When the generation that remembers a car fondly dies off, its value falls off also.

The Roadster is certainly iconic in that it ushered in the modern age of EVs. It was the car that showed the world that an EV need not be a golf cart. It was the first really quick EV that the general public became aware of. But it does not hold the kind of place in the popular mind that leads to some cars becoming extremely valuable.

Buy a Roadster because it's a fun car to drive. I bought mine new and drove it for seven years and I loved it. I sold it when I got the Model 3 because that's a safer car, not least because it's a better driver than I am. When you're ready to move on to another car, sell the Roadster so someone else can enjoy it.

Just my 2¢.

• Love
So I asked the SC about keeping my old PEM, and they told me there's a $2000 "core charge". (PEMs don't have cores, but OK.) So the new PEM is actually $11,000, but I get $2000 off for leaving them my old PEM.

It's likely that I could save $ by hiring Medlock or Gruber, even with the shipping or travel charges, but I'm going ahead and let the SC fix it. There's a lot to be said for having a nearby SC that responsive and willing to fix whatever breaks. The burden is on them now to fix it, not me, and nobody (myself included) buys a Roadster because they're trying to be frugal.

So I asked the SC about keeping my old PEM, and they told me there's a $2000 "core charge". (PEMs don't have cores, but OK.) So the new PEM is actually $11,000, but I get $2000 off for leaving them my old PEM.

It's likely that I could save $ by hiring Medlock or Gruber, even with the shipping or travel charges, but I'm going ahead and let the SC fix it. There's a lot to be said for having a nearby SC that responsive and willing to fix whatever breaks. The burden is on them now to fix it, not me, and nobody (myself included) buys a Roadster because they're trying to be frugal.

FWIW - Seems like PEM shipping is included with Gruber’s price:

“The shipping issue is relatively easy since we pay for shipping both ways in the continental US. We even pre-ship an empty foam protected box within which to insert your PEM. Service shop turnaround is typically less than a week for this service.”

Roadster PEM failure

Also from Gruber in the same post, core returns have apparently been going on for a while:

“Tesla is no longer producing Roadster PEMs and a customer who had their PEM replaced by Tesla for $8500 last month, told us they admitted they are out of new PEMs and are now mandating core returns, reselling them as refurbished units, indicating they are doing PEM core repairs.”

That said, I completely understand going with the SC. I guess I’m still a little jaded after they damaged my PEM over the summer, but they’ve since acknowledged it, apologized multiple times, and paid for the repair.

Gruber has also treated me quite well and I can vouch you’d be in great hands with them.

Good luck! Hope you’re back up and running very soon.

Gruber Motor Company can refurbish that PEM for about $5000, but then you’d have to add shipping costs - although you can also ship the PEM only and not the entire car. Not sure how practical that is, but just putting it out there.

Gruber's price includes shipping and they provide the box to pack it in.

Haven't done it, but it's what their site says.

I'm curious how much they quoted you for that PEM replacement.
My PEM fried last year (2008 #302, 50,000mi) . Local SC first quoted $11,000 for a new one, then a week later offered $9,000 for a 'refurbished' one they found in CA. Gruber's price of $5,000 sounded better so I shipped the entire car from TX (about $12-1400 round trip) It took about 3 months to rebuild. Then after the first charge at home the original fault re-appeared. Gruber took it back at their cost for return shipping and took another 2-3 months to verify completely repaired. Six months later and it is running great. Original battery is 175mi Range and 130mi Std.

Now thinking of selling #302 and second ICE SUV in favor of 2020 MY. Any opinions out there from y'all other Roadsters?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
My PEM fried last year (2008 #302, 50,000mi) . Local SC first quoted $11,000 for a new one, then a week later offered $9,000 for a 'refurbished' one they found in CA. Gruber's price of $5,000 sounded better so I shipped the entire car from TX (about $12-1400 round trip) It took about 3 months to rebuild. Then after the first charge at home the original fault re-appeared. Gruber took it back at their cost for return shipping and took another 2-3 months to verify completely repaired. Six months later and it is running great. Original battery is 175mi Range and 130mi Std.

Now thinking of selling #302 and second ICE SUV in favor of 2020 MY. Any opinions out there from y'all other Roadsters?

As a relatively new owner that has not experienced the "bad" yet, I can't imagine getting rid of mine, but it sounds like you have had a great time driving yours. And if Tesla offers a reasonable trade in, it may be tough to not go ahead and get what you can from it, especially knowing the battery is already reducing your range significantly, and would be an expensive part if it fails.

As a fellow Austin-area owner, we should meet-up and share a few rides before you trade in, at a minimum.... :)

Reactions: dhrivnak

Of course only you can decide what's right for you. When I bought my Roadster I expected to keep it until I was too old and arthritic to get in and out of it. When the Model S got to being quicker off the line than the Roadster, and there were rumors of a Roadster Mk II coming along some day, I figured I'd keep mine until the Mk II came, and then trade up to it.

And then the Model 3 was announced with EAP. Suddenly I began to think a safer car would be nice, and the ability to make my summer road trip to Canada in an EV instead of a stinker. I got the 3 and I love it, even though I ended up bringing it here to Maui where 310 miles of range is probably a month's worth of driving.

I loved the Roadster. I miss it. But it was time for me to get an old-man car. My 3 is a better driver than I am.