Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding pattern for Model Y. Keep my A3 e-tron or get a Model 3 while I wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a Model Y reservation (Moment the page went up and 5 seats, so hopefully Fall 2020).

I currently own an A3 e-tron, which is getting me back and forth to work on the battery (where I charge for free) which has Tesla trade in value of $26.5K. I can't find ANY of them on auto trader to see what the private sale value is.

I'm wondering if I should stick with the A3 for the next 1.5-2 years until the Model Y comes out, OR if I should take advantage of the current tax credit, current blue book value of my A3, and get a SR+ or better Model 3.

My thinking is the Model 3 will depreciate slower over the next 2 years, and ultimately I'll spend less money than if I trade in my A3 in 2 years.

Am I being impatient? Should I just wait? Thoughts?

Could keep your car or upgrade to a Model 3. If you are getting $26.5 for a A3 etron used, I'd sell it quick. Pick up a SR+ or SR now and get the $3750. Keep it a few years and it shouldn't depreciate too bad since it's a base model and has less to depreciate compared to a optioned out version. Whatever you do, I would strongly urge you not to get a first production Y unless you want to overpay. Keep the 3 until the Y has been in production for 1-2 years and by that time there will be discounted inventory models.

Do you want advice on what is most sound financially, or what would give you the most joy and fun? What are the tax credits in Ontario?

If it's a sound financial move I think I'd definitely do it. The Audi has been fun introduction to EVs, but I know I'd enjoy the Model 3 more. With only 24mi on the battery I'm bumping against it if I do anything beyond my regular commute. And I hate the sound of the engine now.

I'm actually living in the California Bay Area now, so I could get the $3,750 Federal Tax Credit plus CA's $2,500. Ontario has no EV incentives anymore, but I got $9,100 for my A3 when I bought it.

I can only tell you what I would do, so here goes...

Being quite familiar with VW products, Audi included, I'd sell the A3 while it's still worth something and before it required some sort of major service or repair... let someone else have a go in the starter-EV. I'd take that money and put a big down payment on a standard range Model 3 to tide me over while I waited for the Y. I'd also consider buying a used long range Model 3 if the price was right. I'd then lock in my Model Y Performance order to insulate myself from future price increases, particularly in the FSD department. When it came time for delivery of the Y, I'd decide whether I wanted to be a two car household or sell the 3 and keep the Y.

Could keep your car or upgrade to a Model 3. If you are getting $26.5 for a A3 etron used, I'd sell it quick. Pick up a SR+ or SR now and get the $3750. Keep it a few years and it shouldn't depreciate too bad since it's a base model and has less to depreciate compared to a optioned out version. Whatever you do, I would strongly urge you not to get a first production Y unless you want to overpay. Keep the 3 until the Y has been in production for 1-2 years and by that time there will be discounted inventory models.

I've been on the fence about a Model 3 forever. It's not the ideal car for me with my 80lb sheepdog- I really want the Model Y's hatch. But then again we have a Tiguan if I need to take her somewhere...

Because of the no hatch, I never put in a reservation and so I couldn't get a Model 3 before I moved to the USA (and while Ontario still had a EV incentive). And when I first moved down here last July Model 3 was still fairly supply constrained, so I just bought out the lease on my A3 cause I definitely needed a car.

Anyway, moving to a Model 3 makes sense if 1: it's going to take longer to get my Model Y than I think it is (sometime next year), and 2: if getting rid of my A3 now is ultimately going to save me $ between now and when I trade it in for the Model Y.

Who know, there's even the small possibility that I'll decide I don't need the Model Y after I've had the 3 for a few years, since I don't think the Y is big enough to be our true Tiguan replacement. My wife has her eye on that EV Microbus!

Why don’t you just lease the mode 3. Sell the a3 or trade if it’s possible.

Cause you can't buy out the lease, it seems like a no-win scenario to me: at $3,000 down and ~$500/mo, that's $15,000 to rent the car for 2 years.

We sold our house in Canada before we moved so we have the money to just straighten out pay cash on the Model 3 after my A3 trade-in.

The other side advantage is that right now I run the biggest Model Y page on Facebook (3,000 members). If I car, I have a referral code I could use for the upcoming referral program- maybe even win my Model Y.

I've been on the fence about a Model 3 forever. It's not the ideal car for me with my 80lb sheepdog- I really want the Model Y's hatch. But then again we have a Tiguan if I need to take her somewhere...

Because of the no hatch, I never put in a reservation and so I couldn't get a Model 3 before I moved to the USA (and while Ontario still had a EV incentive). And when I first moved down here last July Model 3 was still fairly supply constrained, so I just bought out the lease on my A3 cause I definitely needed a car.

Anyway, moving to a Model 3 makes sense if 1: it's going to take longer to get my Model Y than I think it is (sometime next year), and 2: if getting rid of my A3 now is ultimately going to save me $ between now and when I trade it in for the Model Y.

Who know, there's even the small possibility that I'll decide I don't need the Model Y after I've had the 3 for a few years, since I don't think the Y is big enough to be our true Tiguan replacement. My wife has her eye on that EV Microbus!

Used S could be a great stop gap too and has the storage you need. AP1 still works great and some say better compared to current autopilot. If you looking for a loaded Y I'd strongly advise to wait till production ramps up. Performance 3s non demo cars were being sold for $7700 discount and demo ones for $11k off.

I can only tell you what I would do, so here goes...

Being quite familiar with VW products, Audi included, I'd sell the A3 while it's still worth something and before it required some sort of major service or repair... let someone else have a go in the starter-EV. I'd take that money and put a big down payment on a standard range Model 3 to tide me over while I waited for the Y. I'd also consider buying a used long range Model 3 if the price was right. I'd then lock in my Model Y Performance order to insulate myself from future price increases, particularly in the FSD department. When it came time for delivery of the Y, I'd decide whether I wanted to be a two car household or sell the 3 and keep the Y.

I think if I moved ahead with a Model 3 I'd definitely go SR+ (now that it has Autopilot built in). But if I think there's any chance I'd want to keep the car in a few years I'd want to go LR (and maybe AWD with FSD). But then AWD was more about ski trips to Tahoe, which I guess we'll definitely be using our Tiguan for for now. But maybe I'm fooling myself and if this isn't the "family trip" car, then I don't need the extra range. So maybe SR+ is the right move and get FSD instead. Hmmm....

Model Y AWD LR with Autopilot and FSD already ordered- so I'm protected against any of the price adjustments being talked about for May 1.

My wife says she doesn't like Tesla's. Maybe time with the M3 will win her over.

Reactions: Big Earl
I would definitely get what you can for the audi now. I've owned two audis and as others have mentioned, the value will drop like a rock quickly. Just last month, I sold the family Q7 for a mr model 3 as 99% of it's use case was driving within the bay area. The 1% of the time I needed the Q7 and awd it was nice, but not worth the depreciation or the maintenance cost. Yeah it's much smaller and a bit more difficult to get my kid in the baby seat, but my drives are within an hour so it's not even an issue. Now the model 3 is the commuter and next time I drive up to Tahoe, I'm renting a minivan.

For once I couldn't agree with turtlesz more.
It's the reason I bought the 3. A temporary car until the performance Y is out.
Even the SR+ is a total blast and I think very well worth it for a couple of years.

Reactions: Big Earl
The A3 does have rudimentary adaptive cruise, which is nice during my morning commute.

Thanks for the Comments everyone! My first job is to get the A3 properly imported and titled in the US next week. After that I’ll need to make the call quickly if I’m going to put in an order before FSD prices potentially go up May 1.

Biggest question remains what config would I go for. Keep it cheap SR+ and add FSD, or go for LR RWD and FSD. I know there’s no “right” answer. Just need to decide what my use case really is.

The A3 does have rudimentary adaptive cruise, which is nice during my morning commute.

Thanks for the Comments everyone! My first job is to get the A3 properly imported and titled in the US next week. After that I’ll need to make the call quickly if I’m going to put in an order before FSD prices potentially go up May 1.

Biggest question remains what config would I go for. Keep it cheap SR+ and add FSD, or go for LR RWD and FSD. I know there’s no “right” answer. Just need to decide what my use case really is.

I regret not getting the LR, and that's after just 3 weeks! Range is king, oh.. and charging speed is king. Also the SR/SR+ has a pretty terrible sound system.

Even the basic autopilot completely destroys VAG's adaptive cruise, it definitely multiple generations ahead at this point. You will love it!

I kind of wish I went for LR as I have an MR, but thats mostly a "what if I need it" type of issue. There are superchargers all around CA within range of the SR+ so keep that in mind with your usual use case. I figured I would have to stop anyways and stretch/eat/bathroom before running out range on a trip. Supercharging should be the same for all trims, just a bit slower charging at home 32amps vs 40 amps. With my wallcharger at home I charge at 30 miles per hour at 32amps.

Who knows about resale value though...

Even the basic autopilot completely destroys VAG's adaptive cruise, it definitely multiple generations ahead at this point. You will love it!

I kind of wish I went for LR as I have an MR, but thats mostly a "what if I need it" type of issue. There are superchargers all around CA within range of the SR+ so keep that in mind with your usual use case. I figured I would have to stop anyways and stretch/eat/bathroom before running out range on a trip. Supercharging should be the same for all trims, just a bit slower charging at home 32amps vs 40 amps. With my wallcharger at home I charge at 30 miles per hour at 32amps.

Who knows about resale value though...

I'm not sure if Supercharging is the same for all. I've seen the P3D charging at a way higher rate than my SR/SR+.
Can anyone confirm the LR charging rate?

It seems to me, due to Model Y being universally better than Model 3 to 98% of drivers...same tech, way more space and higher seating position, Model 3 will see devaluation as fast as Tesla can make the Y.
I'd got for a used Model 3 now. They've been on the market for almost 2 years, the early LR RWDs should be hitting the second hand market by now? With the cheaper options out there now, choice of interior color, included EAP, those used ones should be pretty attractive by now.
For just driving, especially long distance, of course Model 3 cannot be beat.

It seems to me, due to Model Y being universally better than Model 3 to 98% of drivers...same tech, way more space and higher seating position, Model 3 will see devaluation as fast as Tesla can make the Y.
I'd got for a used Model 3 now. They've been on the market for almost 2 years, the early LR RWDs should be hitting the second hand market by now? With the cheaper options out there now, choice of interior color, included EAP, those used ones should be pretty attractive by now.
For just driving, especially long distance, of course Model 3 cannot be beat.

Don't think the 3 will see a steep devaluation because of the Y. There will be a market for both. The S and X look different and co-exist. The Y isn't all that big and I always worried in 2 years people who need the storage and seating for more than 5 they would get more use from a used X which will be able to be had under 50-60k easily. Variety of choices will be good for the consumers. Some love the 3 design, others like the Y. I personally own a X for the storage but prefer the 3 because of the smaller size and fun driving dynamics and I think the whale rear design of the X and Y just don't look aesthetically pleasing to me. For a stop gap vehicle, I can't realistically believe the SR paired with tax credit will lose all that much money and is a great car. However my price predictions along with most 2018 buyers turned out to not be a wise or smart move so anything can happen... Wish I had waited a year to buy my 3 and X as I just got it early just to make use of the tax credit but it turned out to be a huge 25k+ mistake in price drops!

Last edited:
Don't think the 3 will see a steep devaluation because of the Y. There will be a market for both. The S and X look different and co-exist. The Y isn't all that big and I always worried in 2 years people who need the storage and seating for more than 5 they would get more use from a used X which will be able to be had under 50-60k easily. Variety of choices will be good for the consumers. Some love the 3 design, others like the Y. I personally own a X for the storage but prefer the 3 because of the smaller size and fun driving dynamics and I think the whale rear design of the X and Y just don't look aesthetically pleasing to me. For a stop gap vehicle, I can't realistically believe the SR paired with tax credit will lose all that much money and is a great car. However my price predictions along with most 2018 buyers turned out to not be a wise or smart move so anything can happen... Wish I had waited a year to buy my 3 and X as I just got it early just to make use of the tax credit but it turned out to be a huge 25k+ mistake in price drops!
If you look at general sales figures of sedan versus hatchbacks, it's clear what most people prefer.
Model 3 is a success not because it's a clumsy hatchback, but in spite of it, due to the tech underpinnings and the Model S and X having so much (high cost, novel) image.
I bet that many of the early adopters, those who stood in line or bought one of the first 200,000 Model 3, will want to upgrade to the Y. They got a more pricey Model 3 to begin with after all, they can swing it, no-problem.
With Model Y hitting the market at only a small premium over the 3, I expect new sales to immediate below 1:2, even 1:4 unless they do something special to keep Model 3 relevant to some audience(s). Introduction of a Ludicrous version with the upcoming bigger PM motor to go into the S and X, for instance. If they want to, they could probably make Model 3 pull as hard as SP100DL does today. Bit lighter, bit smaller battery, it evens out if they can (choose to) amp it up for just 3 seconds.
Model 3 losing popularity in new sales can't help price retention of a huge supply of used ones. And if the Model SR can be had relatively short term (with good V3 charging), why would you pay a s similar amount for the 2017-2018 Dual Motor (Ps) that only offer range, not utility?

I suppose I hope for early adopters it won't be too painful a depreciation for them, but then, that's what being an early adopter is all about. Bragging rights don't come cheap.

In my opinion the Y is vastly bigger in everyday reality. Isn't it 66 vs 25 ft³ cargo space? The Model 3 is just exceptionally awkwardly packaged, even for a sedan. The BMW 3-series is aimed to defeat foremost, has significantly better cargo space despite the lack of a frunk.
Also, in the Y you get higher seats which should vastly improve seating comfort especially in the back. Tesla's flat floor system is nice and cost effective but other brands are already seeing ways to put batteries under the second row or in place of the "drive shaft tunnel" to get a comfortable (large) seat to foot bed height. Sitting in the back of an X is vastly better than in a 3, due to the seat height. People care for rear seat comfort, if they're not early adopters.

Looking a few years into the future, Model 3 could become more of an entry level car as economies of scale allow. While using the low stance to offer motorsport inspired cars where the rear seat is just not a factor at all. Ludicrous. Wing game. And the car would actually be a great platform for it, seeing track times fom the stock Performance car, let alone with (frankly, needed), mods.
A Performance Y then, is a bit daft if you ask me.