TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Holding payment until delivery? Even after inspection?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 4, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

So, buying a Tesla is very different than an automotive dealer. With an automotive dealer, you typically test drive and FULLY inspect a vehicle BEFORE you even negotiate price, not to mention pay for it....

Now, with Tesla, I've purposely NOT wired them my $60K, rather I'm taking it with me (form of a cashier's check) to my delivery day tomorrow. I'm expecting to fully inspect the vehicle to ensure I am, in fact, going to take delivery of it. While I'm hoping things will go swimmingly, I've read TOO many bad experiences here at TMC and really want to NOT give them money until we've verified I'm accepting the vehicle.

So, my question is what experience does anyone here have with paying last minute like I'm doing and is Tesla going to be pushy to close all the paperwork BEFORE I get to even see and inspect my vehicle? Thanks for any comments/advice

2. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

I've paid by personal check after the inspection for 3 Teslas. No hassles at all.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

I filled on the online checking account transfer at pickup. Brought my laptop with me and let the Tesla rep watch my complete the transfer. No issues. I'm sure they would have called if something came up :)

• Informative x 1
  4. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Chad, that's because they know you ;)

They are asking for either electronic transfer or cashier's check in my case.

• Informative x 1
  5. svp6

svp6 Member

Cashier's check after full inspection. The Tesla rep did not even talk about paperwork before showing us the car in full. It was more like "if you seen it and like it, let's complete the transaction".

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  6. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

That's how my head is working, glad to see that happening!

• Like x 1
  7. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Told me no more personal cks
    Had to be cashiers ck

8. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

Interesting. They must have had too many problems with personal checks. There are always a few knuckleheads that mess things up for the rest of us.

My last personal check purchase was in December, and I have another car coming this month that I was just planning to write a check for. Thanks for the heads-up.

9. Motor Mouth

Motor Mouth Member

Transferred the dp prior to going to the inspection. They didn't even mention payment until after the orientation & inspection. Then - after the 3rd invitation for a cappuccino - we finally sat down to sign papers and turn over the cashier's check for the balance from the cu. All very civilized IMO

10. shrike

shrike Member

Had to pay in full before Tesla would deliver since Tesla is not allowed to sell vehicles in Texas.

My delivery appt is on 5/8/18. I'll certainly inspect it, but at that point there's not much choice on acceptance. Anything wrong, and it'll go in the shop.

11. leftyguitarman

I got my Model 3 eight days ago. Took a check with me, gave it to them after the inspection. Happy as can be. Great experience, even better car.

12. Edrlee

Edrlee New Member

Does anyone ever actually test drive their car before having over the check or is it just a visual inspection?

13. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Is it possible to make additional down payments via credit card through myTesla? Get the points.

Similar to the reservation and order $2,500.

14. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

I'm getting my Friday, bringing cashier's checks (bank and mine), but inspecting and hopefully test driving first.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

In general, no. I was told that if a small additional payment was needed then a credit card would be accepted.

• Informative x 1
  16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Test driving first? LoL

17. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

One can dream.

• Funny x 1
  18. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

For my X, they let me write a personal check. Guess it's at the discretion of the local manager.

19. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

Well, they delivered the wrong color car, so that was pretty easy to spot.