Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding Production to get a 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we finally put in our order for our X ( thankfully after the AP2.0 ) and now we have decided to hold off putting it to production till Jan 1, 2017.

I know it is a silly little thing but both of us want the 2017.

Question is, does anyone else think like us?

Yes, we're also waiting to Jan 2017. I know the counter arguments - "why wait to get a great car" and "miles matter more than year".

But I think there are 2 strong arguments for waiting to January:

1) if you don't need an X right away, and by definition the car is improving every day, you're always better off dragging your feet to catch either a major improvement like AP2 or minor improvements like higher build quality.

2) come resale time, all else equal, a 2017 will be more appealing than a 2016 with the same miles. Both because the 2017 is by definition newer and because the 2017 is guaranteed to have AP2. I could imagine used car buyers 5 years from now filtering to 2017 X's, for example, because they wouldn't want to wade through 2016 X search results to figure out which do / don't have AP2.

I did the same thing, and am so glad I delayed until January 2017, otherwise I would have missed AP2! Yes, other people think like you. Also, there seem to be so many quality issues with the Model X that delaying will hopefully get you a better car.

Makes sense. Only reasons I could think to right now is if:

1. You want the $7500 tax credit for 2017, thus claim it in 2018 when doing taxes.
2. The slight chance that 100D may be available then to order without the P, and you want the max range possible on an X.

So we finally put in our order for our X ( thankfully after the AP2.0 ) and now we have decided to hold off putting it to production till Jan 1, 2017.

Question is, does anyone else think like us?
Lots of people on here will tell you differently but they are wrong.

I would take it a step further and wait till second week of Jan to start production.

First week of every quarter they shut down factory for "vacation" but it usually means retooling for example ap2.0

Do not know how to gauarantee production date, but that is what I will be doing for my second X

Reactions: Paul Carter
Yes, we're also waiting to Jan 2017. I know the counter arguments - "why wait to get a great car" and "miles matter more than year".

But I think there are 2 strong arguments for waiting to January:

1) if you don't need an X right away, and by definition the car is improving every day, you're always better off dragging your feet to catch either a major improvement like AP2 or minor improvements like higher build quality.

2) come resale time, all else equal, a 2017 will be more appealing than a 2016 with the same miles. Both because the 2017 is by definition newer and because the 2017 is guaranteed to have AP2. I could imagine used car buyers 5 years from now filtering to 2017 X's, for example, because they wouldn't want to wade through 2016 X search results to figure out which do / don't have AP2.

I must say I like your points!!!

I have the same thinking as well, just put the order in and she said should be delivered by end of December. I have the option of January or February 2017. Wonder if we take delivery for January it might be still a 2016 so taking delivery on Feb then they might start production on Jan 2017 unless they build after the the fist week of January and delivery at the end of the month.

I still have till 3-4 days from now to decide if I want to make any changes and for now I did set my delivery to December but I think I might change to next year. They told me that January they build a lot of cars for European and Asian market so maybe I ll end in Feb instead of December. Excited to get the car but I can wait an extra 1 month since end of December is their approximately delivery time.

I must say I like your points!!!

I have the same thinking as well, just put the order in and she said should be delivered by end of December. I have the option of January or February 2017. Wonder if we take delivery for January it might be still a 2016 so taking delivery on Feb then they might start production on Jan 2017 unless they build after the the fist week of January and delivery at the end of the month.

I still have till 3-4 days from now to decide if I want to make any changes and for now I did set my delivery to December but I think I might change to next year. They told me that January they build a lot of cars for European and Asian market so maybe I ll end in Feb instead of December. Excited to get the car but I can wait an extra 1 month since end of December is their approximately delivery time.
Make sure production starts mid Jan at earliest.

First week of every quarter factory shuts down for maintance and retooling. Oct 1 they added ap2. Big difference between end of dec and middle of Jan.

You reference "the 2017" as if a Tesla built Jan 1, 2017 will be a different car from one built on Dec 30, 2016.

Those two cars will almost certainly be exactly the same except for the date on the door jam sticker.

And a Tesla built in early December 2016 will likely be essentially the same as a car built in late January 2017.

I am not aware of any evidence showing that "First week of every quarter factory shuts down for maintenance and retooling". Tesla does not implement major changes to the cars at the beginning of every quarter.

You are welcome to order your Tesla whenever you want, of course. If it makes you feel better to have a 2017 calendar year build, go for it.

Question: Why wait till Jan 2017? Wait till June or July 2017 because the build quality will be even better or maybe they will discover that their rushed to market AP2.0 hardware was missing something and that they changed it in May.

Actually why wait till June... better push it off till after the model 3 production start because they might have something else we dont know.. like 120kw/h battery pack with the new battery cell. At that point might as well wait till Model Y comes out and maybe buy Model Y?

Even better wait till 2018 or 2019 when the competition starts pumping out electric SUV's and maybe competition will lower prices for model X? Or Battery cost will go down and lower the cost of the vehicle ?

All jokes aside waiting for AP2 was a good thing but even if you wait, there will be something shortly after that will come out that will make you cringe. This is what endless new technology will do....

Love what you own not what you desire.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: beths11 and MP3Mike
I think if I was selling the car later I would just list it as a 2017 to avoid being filtered out by people looking for AP2. All of the other car manufactures are calling their cars built in the last quarter of 2016, 2017s, so it's just a little white lie. It would be better to get the tax credit asap and have use of that money.

Question: Why wait till Jan 2017? Wait till June or July 2017 because the build quality will be even better or maybe they will discover that their rushed to market AP2.0 hardware was missing something and that they changed it in May.

Actually why wait till June... better push it off till after the model 3 unveil because they might have something else we dont know.. like 120kw/h battery pack with the new battery cell. At that point might as well wait till Model Y comes out and maybe buy Model Y?

Even better wait till 2018 or 2019 when the competition starts pumping out electric SUV's and maybe competition will lower prices for model X? Or Battery cost will go down and lower the cost of the vehicle ?

All jokes aside waiting for AP2 was a good thing but even if you wait, there will be something shortly after that will come out that will make you cringe. This is what endless new technology will do....

Love what you own not what you desire.
After you get the car it's probably best to bury your head in the sand, and avoid any news of improvements Tesla is making. I'm going to miss this forum, Teslarati, elektrek, Ride the Lightning, Talking Tesla, etc. :( On second thought, that might be worse than the regret of missing out on all of latest and greatest.:rolleyes:

After you get the car it's probably best to bury your head in the sand, and avoid any news of improvements Tesla is making. I'm going to miss this forum, Teslarati, elektrek, Ride the Lightning, Talking Tesla, etc. :( On second thought, that might be worse than the regret of missing out on all of latest and greatest.:rolleyes:
I know... need to find the middle ground about it.. :)

Just enjoy the ride..

Make sure production starts mid Jan at earliest.

There probably aren't many, if any, US bound cars that will be produced in January. The first weeks of every quarter are normally dedicated to foreign destinations. (So that they can be delivered in the same quarter they are produced.) So it is likely if you schedule for January delivery in the US that your car will be built in December.

• Helpful
Reactions: ThomasB