TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Holes for rear laser diffuser

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Fezzik, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I was wondering for you ladies or gents who have laser diffusers in the rear area; how did you get the wiring to the outside? DId you make a hole behind the license plate or underneath the rear Tesla applique in the black area (where the rear license plate lights are at)

2. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

....anyone?

3. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Rear bumper needs to be removed, then there are plently of areas you'll notice where you can run the diffuser. It should be done by a pro and he should be familiar with a Tesla if trying to take this.

If just something like a laser diffuser, then it goes right above license frame and that needs to have chrome rear bar removed and wire ran along inside of rear hatch

4. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

For those who have no idea what a laser diffuser are, and are too lazy to go Google it... what's a laser diffuser?

5. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

For tinm, A laser diffuser are laser jammers. They keep people from reading your speed. Sorry I did not clarify that as diffuser is not used as much as jammer.

I am trying to keep from drilling into the body as much as possible. I've already made a firewall hole bigger to get my 2 diffuser/jammers, 1 radar antenna, and one gps through.
    I was wanting to run the diffuser/jammer right below the chrome and as close to the tails as possible. I've seen an install where it's right below the bumper but I do not think that is a prime spot (this is my opinion) I've got two as well that would go on each side. My options that I figured was drill through the black plastic (that is below the chrome applicque and into the inside of the hatch lid, or cut the wire (which voids the warranty) and go through the bottom two holes in the 4 license frame holes.
    The chrome part I believe is glued to the inner tail lights and will require new glue once taken off. Anyone have a picture with this off?

6. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Surely you mean "the police" rather than "people". Why would "people" want to "read your speed"? And surely this would be unlawful? Aren't speed gun jammers unlawful in the US? Can't help think that Tesla might be a bit upset and nullify your warranty... maybe? Just a thought.

7. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

Some states they are but most they are legal. But the thing with these is that after jamming for a couple seconds they turn to "parking sensors" They are sold as parking sensors as well.

8. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

That sounds like a convenient feature.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Here is my rear difuser. I mounted it under the rear bumper. It is very unobtrusive there, and the wiring is easy to run from there into the trunk.

IMG_1017.jpg