Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holes in wheel arch liners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Holes in wheel wells"

So i submitted a service request for a couple of bits i needed to be sorted on my new Model 3, one of the items on the list were for holes in the rear of the front wheel wells that seem to be strategically located to collect all the road crap that gets kicked up by the front wheels (see photos).

I've just had a response from Tesla that the holes are supposed to be there. I find this strange as the only function it seems to perform is to act as a time capsule to collect samples of all the roads you've driven. Does everyone else have these holes? can anyone who's owned one longer than a few weeks comment on just how much crap this hole collects in the medium to long term?

1LwT0pa.jpg

Y7AQtlg.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191009_112819.jpg
    IMG_20191009_112819.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've fitted mudflaps and these holes are completely covered. Car looks good with mudflaps too - I actually think it improves the look since it fools the eye into thinking the car is a bit wider at the wheelarch.

Well spotted. I dried the area with kitchen towel and then cut a short length of black insulation tape to cover the holes pro tem. Hopefully any water in there can escape! Got the mudflaps - just haven't fitted them yet.

Last edited:
did you have to drill holes for these or do they use the existing securing points? Thanks
You need to drill a pilot hole in each front mud flap since there's a self tapping screw on the top that has no existing hole. However, it's only into the thin plastic arch liner so it's very simple and minimal. If you ever took them off, a small plastic plug or a dib of mastic would seal it. I really wouldn't worry about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Keeper
These are the ones I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V9CQZW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£24 on Amazon. The qulaity is fine and fitting was very easy. The only photo I have is this one but they aren't easy to see. I'll post a better one later when I get back to the car.

How long did they take to deliver? These seem to ship from China so not until end of month/early Nov delivery. iirc I saw some seemingly identical ones shipping from UK within a day or so, but cannot find them now.

Are they as soft//rubberised as they say?

How long did they take to deliver? These seem to ship from China so not until end of month/early Nov delivery. iirc I saw some seemingly identical ones shipping from UK within a day or so, but cannot find them now.

Are they as soft//rubberised as they say?
Mine shipped from UK. Got them within the week. Maybe I posted the wrong link. Rubberised? - yes, they feel pretty bendable.