Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Inn Express in Redding, CA has 4 Wall Connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past summer I drove through California on my way to LA. On the drive back home going north I stopped at Corning to charge up only to be greeted by a line of Teslas waiting to use one of the 6 stalls. I probably would have waited at least an hour being the 11th car in line. As I waited, I called the hotel I was staying at, a Holdiay Inn Express in Redding, and asked if they had any EV chargers. To my delight, they informed me that they had 4 Tesla wall connectors! I quickly jumped out of line and drove the 50 miles to Redding.

The stretch from Corning to Shasta City is about 110 miles, so Redding is an excellent waypoint for a night's stay. Holiday Inn Express allows you to leave the car plugged in overnight so you'll be all charged up ready to go the next morning. It was a very nice hotel as well with free breakfast and an excellent steakhouse, Cattlemens Steakhouse, right next door.

Hope this helps out on someone's next trip through CA!

Were you getting the full 48A?

I love Holiday Inn Express. It's not the greatest hotel but they're got great prices and are always consistent no matter where in the country I am. Clean, good free internet, free breakfast, and hopefully free charging at other locations too.

Were you getting the full 48A?

I love Holiday Inn Express. It's not the greatest hotel but they're got great prices and are always consistent no matter where in the country I am. Clean, good free internet, free breakfast, and hopefully free charging at other locations too.

From what I remember the charge I was getting was around 32 miles/hour.

This Holiday Inn Express was relatively new or renovated. I agree, not the greatest hotel, but for the rate, you get your money's worth - especially with the added Tesla wall connectors!

Good data point--thanks. Interesting that they do not appear on Tesla's findus map, though others in Redding do. But I looked on Google Street View, and there they are, plain as day!

Exactly. What was funny is that when I called Holiday Inn Express from Corning asking if they had an EV charger, the receptionist said "Yes, but you'd need to have a Tesla because our chargers only work for Tesla cars." It was music to my ears. :D

Reactions: bmah and ChrisH
I travel (mostly by air) for a living. I've noticed more and more Tesla HPWC's at hotels. Taking my first work trip (~4 hours away) in the M3 tomorrow. Intentionally booked a hotel that advertised an 8kW Tesla charger. I have to imagine that Tesla owners are exactly the type of target market demographic hotels are looking for. I'd expect to see this trend accelerate.

Very nice! I stayed at a Newport Beach motel couple months ago that had two HPWC's as well. However, they didn't switch the power for it on until you asked and were verified as a guest at the front desk. Said they had too many freeloaders.

Not complaining, but I am surprised though that these places aren't putting in universal chargers so all EV's can use them. Tesla owners can just attach their adapter.

00C1E31C-45D6-49FA-BE50-4AA7AAFAB39F.jpeg
This past summer I drove through California on my way to LA. On the drive back home going north I stopped at Corning to charge up only to be greeted by a line of Teslas waiting to use one of the 6 stalls. I probably would have waited at least an hour being the 11th car in line. As I waited, I called the hotel I was staying at, a Holdiay Inn Express in Redding, and asked if they had any EV chargers. To my delight, they informed me that they had 4 Tesla wall connectors! I quickly jumped out of line and drove the 50 miles to Redding.

The stretch from Corning to Shasta City is about 110 miles, so Redding is an excellent waypoint for a night's stay. Holiday Inn Express allows you to leave the car plugged in overnight so you'll be all charged up ready to go the next morning. It was a very nice hotel as well with free breakfast and an excellent steakhouse, Cattlemens Steakhouse, right next door.

Hope this helps out on someone's next trip through CA!
I just spent the night at Best Western in Bourg, LA. They have two Tesla chargers and a J1772. The chargers are in lock boxes accessed by a key from the front desk...prevents damage and unauthorized use I guess. I made sure front desk knew I chose their hotel because of the chargers. Not much else close so I was grateful they were there. Full 48a, too.

Speaking of this stretch, I also posted recently in the Corning SuC thread that the Best Western in Anderson right off the hwy has a 70A charger! I maxed out my car at 48A. $5 for non-guests.

Only caveat is just the two closest parking stalls can reach with the cable, and they could well be ICE'd on arrival, since there is no priority for EV charging.

48A-70A for an hour or two provides many options for bypassing Corning going North or South.

Reactions: Dana1