Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense. Most people with home charging probably leave with a >90% charge, but don't have charging at their destination. I think I might end up adding 20A 240V outlets for a few relatives, just to simplify road trips.

i put one in at a friends house we go to regularly.

that said; a multi day trip a wall outlet would work fine.

people are saying that KC2 has V2 speeds, that it doesn't go to 250kw(typicall early SUC problems), that must be the reason why there is a short wait. Tejon outlets has medium to long wait? that's kinda surprising, I guess it's time to open the rest of the stalls to make it 56 or pump up the speed by releasing the 300kw.
Good to know. I plan to charge here tomorrow AM , I had planned to try KC2, but think I‘ll skip it and hit KC1

Was at Kettleman around noon today on the way from LA to SF and it was not ideal. KC2 went down so there was a line at KC1 but it moved pretty fast. Got stuck on a V2 charger and it was very slow like 45-35kw. We left with just enough charge to get to Hollister which was has only V2 but was less than half full so were were pulling almost 150kw at 15% SOC. I would have been ok with the KC slow V2 but as a previous poster said the problem is the congesting getting to the other amenities. We went to In-N-Out burger which was a huge mistake as getting back across the street to KC1 took ~45 minutes. Love the lounge but we will plan to skip KC in future holiday trips. Good news that there are more options on I5 now.

KC1 looking very busy on Google.

67392743-B53F-4B92-B415-147FE51940DA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Things seem to be pretty orderly, at least for now 11:11 Sunday morning. Maybe people stayed in Sunday morning, maybe went to Church before driving, or maybe left YESTERDAY when we saw a lot of traffic overall and congestion.

The I-5 corridor seems to be moving and working pretty orderly, time will tell if 14:00-17:00 PST gets much worse

I tasked the Ms with a little exercise en route:

Gustine, CA SHORT WAIT
Firebaugh, CA 24 of 56 available
KC1 8 of 40 available
KC2 19 of 56 available
Buttonwillow, CA MEDIUM wait
Bakersfield, CA SHORT WAIT
Bakersfield, CA COPUS - the new one 6 of 20 available
Tejon Ranch, CA 2 of 24 available (two our of order)
Tejon Ranch Outlets, CA MEDIUM WAIT

Is Tejon just frequently problematic because people think they need to charge before going up the Grapevine, or is it because it's the last stop before heading south with decent amenities?

Northbound traffic seemed HEAVIER than Southbound traffic. But, then again it's also easier to notice traffic in the other direction, but google maps and in car nav seems to show similar.

Be safe people! ;-)

I am worried about crossing from Abbotsford, BC to Princeton, BC, Gmaps has it as a 2 hour ride, but both Waze and Applemaps say it's a 7 hour detour thru the USofA

Have you checked to see if the road is intact and not underwater. :eek: BC is getting wave after wave of that Pineapple Express rain we wish was in California. It has washed away the road and was forcing people down in the US to go eastward.

Just what exactly is considered a "short" or "medium" wait?
That WOULD be good to know.. I wonder if someone can provide even some anecdotal evidence if they went to a SHORT WAIT or MEDIUM WAIT SC and how long it really was?

At this point (looking backwards thankfully) traffic on the I-5 seems much more congested from in car and google mapping data and the SC's paint a similar story. It COULD be that since Harris Ranch shows Temporary closure, that makes it a tad worse, but its so small, relatively, it can't be much of the problem.

Gustine, CA SHORT WAIT
Firebaugh, CA 24 (NOW 4) of 56 available
Harris Ranch - TEMPORARY CLOSURE
KC1 8 (NOW 4) of 40 available
KC2 19 (NOW 24) of 56 available
Bakersfield, CA COPUS - the new one 6 (NOW 8) of 20 available
Tejon Ranch, CA 2 (NOW SHORT WAIT) of 24 available (two our of order)

Last edited:
Reactions: newjacka
Just what exactly is considered a "short" or "medium" wait?
Some months ago got this report for an 8 stall Supercharger, with one out of order, so 7 operational stalls. Eight cars waiting showed as a "Medium Wait" and 14 cars waiting showed as a "Long Wait". It would be interesting to know exactly what criteria Tesla uses when displaying wait times.

Things seem to be pretty orderly, at least for now 11:11 Sunday morning. Maybe people stayed in Sunday morning, maybe went to Church before driving, or maybe left YESTERDAY when we saw a lot of traffic overall and congestion.

The I-5 corridor seems to be moving and working pretty orderly, time will tell if 14:00-17:00 PST gets much worse

I tasked the Ms with a little exercise en route:

Gustine, CA SHORT WAIT
Firebaugh, CA 24 of 56 available
KC1 8 of 40 available
KC2 19 of 56 available
Bakersfield, CA COPUS - the new one 6 of 20 available
Tejon Ranch, CA 2 of 24 available (two our of order)

Is Tejon just frequently problematic because people think they need to charge before going up the Grapevine, or is it because it's the last stop before heading south with decent amenities?

Northbound traffic seemed HEAVIER than Southbound traffic. But, then again it's also easier to notice traffic in the other direction, but google maps and in car nav seems to show similar.

Be safe people! ;-)
first of all thank you for the updates, but somenthing I don't understand is how tejon outlets has such a wait, the addition of copus rd was able to handle the traffic of 4th july pretty good, now we've added 28 more v3 stalls with tejon outlets and there is a wait? What if the speed is slow or it has the same problem like KC2 were you only get 80kw once full? Has anybody here charged there this week?