Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some just sent me this:

I’m headed to Bakersfield from Sacramento tomorrow, then on to Disneyland on Thursday. Should I be expecting this type of delays. Driving back on Monday, any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yikes, my wife is on her way to the Bay Area right now and reports that the Kettleman City Supercharger is temporarily closed. Does anyone know why? Is that possibly why the Tejon Ranch Supercharger is so backed up in that video clip?

Yikes, my wife is on her way to the Bay Area right now and reports that the Kettleman City Supercharger is temporarily closed. Does anyone know why? Is that possibly why the Tejon Ranch Supercharger is so backed up in that video clip?
It was closed yesterday for PG&E, but one person checked in successfully today

Kettleman City.PNG

I plan to travel from the bay area to LA for the 4th of July weekend. Should I be concerned about lines at charging stations?

Generally, "yes".

I came home from the coast this past Sunday evening, just a regular early summer weekend, and watched the screen for most of the drive as I needed to charge at Kettleman City.

For most of the afternoon and early evening KC showed 2-3 stalls available, as did Firebaugh - a good indication that both of these chargers were more or less completely full and may possibly have a line. When I got to KC around 8pm it was quite busy but no line - There were about 5-7 stalls available.

Holiday weekends will of course turn the heat up a notch on these hot spots along I-5, as well as the usual choke points on 101 (although the second SLO charger and Paso Robles have really helped the central coast out a lot). You should expect to wait if you're traveling at peak times.

Even before Memorial Day I’ve been observing supercharger use on I-5 in the valley and I’m kind of impressed that Firebaugh gets about as full as KC in raw numbers during the holiday and other weekend afternoons. I saw a couple of June weekends where KC was almost or full meaning 40 stalls in use and Firebaugh 16 or 17 stalls available meaning about 40 in use. Buttonwillow, Bakersfield, and Tejon are still a mess until Tejon outlets or Copus Rd gets done but in the meantime it looks like the blitz of new Superchargers being built is just barely enough to keep up with all the new Teslas they’re selling.

Generally, "yes".

I came home from the coast this past Sunday evening, just a regular early summer weekend, and watched the screen for most of the drive as I needed to charge at Kettleman City.

For most of the afternoon and early evening KC showed 2-3 stalls available, as did Firebaugh - a good indication that both of these chargers were more or less completely full and may possibly have a line. When I got to KC around 8pm it was quite busy but no line - There were about 5-7 stalls available.

Holiday weekends will of course turn the heat up a notch on these hot spots along I-5, as well as the usual choke points on 101 (although the second SLO charger and Paso Robles have really helped the central coast out a lot). You should expect to wait if you're traveling at peak times.

Bingo. Try to avoid prime time. Leave at o-dark-thirty.

Which are the hot spot SCs to avoid on I-5 between Sacramento and Seattle?
Woodbury, OR (8xV2) has been a problem in the past because it was the first SC south of Portland. With the additional nearby SCs it may not be as congested as in the past. Corning definitely, but again that was before Williams & Red Bluff V3s.

Reactions: wws
The new V3 in Salem is a very good option going through Oregon. I found Medford and Grants Pass not too crowded, but Grants Pass has really no cellular coverage so getting much done while charging is difficult. also, it’s a bit of a hassle to get to. I would avoid it unless it fit just perfectly with my plan.

Free 4th of July Weekend Supercharging before noon and after 9PM at certain superchargers in CA from Friday July 2nd to Monday July 5th. There's a list specifying exactly which locations qualify at the page linked above.

1624922649009.png

Drove from Bay Area to San Diego and back last weekend. Stopped at Kettleman City and Santa Clarita en route. KC was 2/3rds empty around midday, and Santa Clarita had I think 6 spots open including a couple of 250kW ones. I got 118kW there - about the peak on my car.

On the way back Sunday we stopped at Santa Clarita around noon and Harris Ranch around 3pm (delays due to a crash on the grapevine). No waits anywhere, about half a dozen free stalls in both places. I assume the coming weekend will be a lot worse, though.