Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One note is that, at least earlier in the day, Kettleman 1 was consistently more used than Kettleman 2 by far but I think eventually people realized that there was another option as Kettleman 1 was 100% full. I expect them to equalize more over time.
I'll be going to Kettleman 2 by default from here on out (assuming availability of course) because that's where the In-n-Out and Starbucks are. Amenities are important!

I don’t get this. The V3s are half full across the freeway right now. Why come and make a line here?
E7FA2C7B-DB3B-42A1-8AA7-D33E29839136.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Dave EV
private api*

yea i can think of a thousand reasons tesla wouldn't want those metrics out there in public
Unless you agree to not provide that data when you accept terms of use or whatever, Tesla doesn't really have a leg to stand on by saying you can't use the data. If they allow you to show FSD Beta videos because an NDA wasn't "legal" then I don't see how they couldn say you can't provide SC usage details...

Been keeping an eye out on I-5 to see how it’s holding up for the last 2 hours.
So far:

Patterson: mostly short wait but occasionally a stall or 2 open
Gustine: occasionally short wait but mostly a handful available
Firebaugh: went from 20+ available to single digits available in the last hour or so.
Harris Ranch: mostly short wait.
KC1: mostly single digits available to short wait
KC2: mostly short wait.
Buttonwillow: medium to long wait
Bakersfield: medium to long wait
Copus Rd.: mostly short wait
Tejon Ranch: medium to long wait
Tejon Outlets: medium to long wait

It will probably get worse in the next 2 hours so I would say the 2020-2021 expansion on the I-5 was mostly to keep up with all the new cars they’re selling. There will still be lines it looks like.

So far:

Firebaugh: went from 20+ available to single digits available in the last hour or so.

It will probably get worse in the next 2 hours so I would say the 2020-2021 expansion on the I-5 was mostly to keep up with all the new cars they’re selling. There will still be lines it looks like.
What’s funny is, KC1 has 1 (ONE!) SC available and KC2 has 35 available. What does KC1 still have that KC2 doesnt? Are there no bathrooms say at KC2 or Is it just that people still only know the KC1 location? Silly to even wait one minute at KC1 if KC2 has SO MUCH available at the same time.

So far:

people are saying that KC2 has V2 speeds, that it doesn't go to 250kw(typicall early SUC problems), that must be the reason why there is a short wait. Tejon outlets has medium to long wait? that's kinda surprising, I guess it's time to open the rest of the stalls to make it 56 or pump up the speed by releasing the 300kw.

Reactions: israndy
people are saying that KC2 has V2 speeds, that it doesn't go to 250kw(typicall early SUC problems), that must be the reason why there is a short wait. Tejon outlets has medium to long wait? that's kinda surprising, I guess it's time to open the rest of the stalls to make it 56 or pump up the speed by releasing the 300kw.

KC2 at full capacity only has enough power for 87.5 kW per vehicle (best case). This is true of any V3 site that has 4 stalls per cabinet, no solar and no battery storage. I posted more details in the KC2 thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
What’s funny is, KC1 has 1 (ONE!) SC available and KC2 has 35 available. What does KC1 still have that KC2 doesnt? Are there no bathrooms say at KC2 or Is it just that people still only know the KC1 location? Silly to even wait one minute at KC1 if KC2 has SO MUCH available at the same time.
I stopped at KC2 at 11:20 this morning. They had about 1/3 of the chargers closed off with caution tape wrapped around them. The first charger I tried to use (not a roped off one) wouldn't latch and I had to move to a different one. By the time we got back to the car after eating, the place was nearly empty and it was marked as temporarily closed shortly after we left. Sounds like it reopened since, I wonder what's up there.

I appreciate all the amenities on that side of the road, but there was crazy congestion on all the side roads off the highway on that side. Not just Teslas, but a bunch of other cars all visiting the gas stations/restaurants/Bravo Land. There's only one stop light to get out and turn left back towards the 5 and it was causing the horrible delays.

Reactions: goldengate
Whew lots of congestion this afternoon, with waits at many of the popular superchargers between LA and SF... at least according to the in-car NAV. Santa Barbara, Salinas, Greenfield, Montecito all showed "short waits" when I checked today around noon. Same situation on I-5.... tomorrow (Sunday) will be interesting to watch!