Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if both of you are too lazy to simply type it out on google or youtube and find out the truth then that's your problem, continue to stay oblivious if you want.
I asked the question because the data disagrees with you. I wanted you to show your data to see where the discrepancy is but based on your logic, I can just tell you that you’re wrong and you have to accept it.

if both of you are too lazy to simply type it out on google or youtube and find out the truth then that's your problem, continue to stay oblivious if you want.
Ah, the old, "if you're too lazy..." argument. I good tactic in junior high.

Yes, technically, the Taycan can charge faster. When you plug in all the right scenarios.
  • IF you have the on-board fast charger
  • There are not that many of the fast chargers that the Taycan needs available out there (at least not in the US where both you and I live). So what this REALLY means is that out on the road, your net total time is still going to be slower. My extensive research shows that there are a LOT more V3 Superchargers than there are EA 350Kw fast chargers.
  • And while this doesn't have any impact on charging speed, the Taycan is a LOT more expensive. The base model Taycan is more expensive than all but the most fully loaded Tesla.

On 12/25/23 (Christmas Day), Baker, CA power was completely out; many drivers were diverted to Yermo and Primm for traveling to/from Vegas... Long wait time at chargers and Yermo was slow - at least the charger I was on.
On a semi-related note, MSN was posted on chevybolt.org.
"According to a news release from NDOT, SCE will be conducting “reliability upgrades” on the nights of Tuesday, Dec. 5 and Wednesday, Dec. 6 from 10 p.m. to 10. a.m. the following morning. The outage will impact a 90-mile stretch along the I-15 near Baker, officials advised."

According to NDOT, During the outage periods, services such as food establishments, gas stations, and electric vehicle charging ports around Baker will not be available.

“Travelers are strongly urged to plan their journeys accordingly, considering the limited amenities during this time,” NDOT said in a release"

On a semi-related note, MSN was posted on chevybolt.org.
"According to a news release from NDOT, SCE will be conducting “reliability upgrades” on the nights of Tuesday, Dec. 5 and Wednesday, Dec. 6 from 10 p.m. to 10. a.m. the following morning. The outage will impact a 90-mile stretch along the I-15 near Baker, officials advised."

According to NDOT, During the outage periods, services such as food establishments, gas stations, and electric vehicle charging ports around Baker will not be available.

“Travelers are strongly urged to plan their journeys accordingly, considering the limited amenities during this time,” NDOT said in a release"
Dec 5 is not 12/25. If they were planning downtime on 12/25, they didn’t communicate it and I doubt they’d have crews doing PLANNED work on Christmas Day.

@bmah sorry for the sidetrack. I think the initial post was was how congestion would be less with faster charging cars (opening to other makes would ease congestion because they charge faster). We went a little deeper than that so I apologize.

Reactions: bmah
Tesla stated that they plan to install more Superchargers in the next 3 years than they have done in their entire history. They have a new Supercharger manufacturing plant in China that is now up to speed and can do higher production volumes. Tesla has successfully made their superior plug the standard of North America, and will see adoption by most all volume EV producters.
Secondary issue is that Tesla, as well as most other manufacturers are advancing battery and charging technology to allow for even faster charging speeds, so less time at the pump will be a good thing for everybody.

Most all EV owners now know that charging between 10-80% gives the most efficient service on long distance trips. They also know that certain times are more congested than others, and charge during non busy times when they can.

All this is making for quicker and more efficient charging infrastructure, that most owners quickly get an handle on.

Stupid people complain, while smart people figure it out.