Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Energy display is mostly useless, IME. Energy display gives you a huge undulating graph of estimated range that is not connected to your current trip at all, plus it takes the entire screen to do so. The odometer cards gave you a nice succinct Wh/mi for the current trip, since the last charge or since resetting the trip odometer. plus you could easily leave them up the entire time.
Yeah, I have to say of all things I really liked the easy access to the wh/mi info as previously displayed. After using V11 for a while now I've determined that's my No. 1 gripe - don't really care about the blind spot (have turned it off) and have ZERO interest in games.

Energy display is mostly useless, IME. Energy display gives you a huge undulating graph of estimated range that is not connected to your current trip at all, plus it takes the entire screen to do so. The odometer cards gave you a nice succinct Wh/mi for the current trip, since the last charge or since resetting the trip odometer. plus you could easily leave them up the entire time.
That’s what I miss most.😩

Reactions: Brendazzle
I use it in trip mode when I have a destination set. It's more practical for tracking that way.

A new question about something I hate in the new UI - wonder if anyone has a shortcut: I frequently want to change the view of my Nav screen from close view (the way I usually use it) to viewing the full route for a bit, and then back again.

Before, the options button (from N, to current direction, to full route) was available in the upper R of the screen. Now it seems it's in the upper L, but it is (like so many other things) buried in a second tap........I have to tap the screen to display that little icon, and then tap it again to cycle through what I want. Annoying and dangerous, because I can't hit that little icon without looking over at the screen.....I have to tap the map, then look over and locate the little icon quickly before it disappears, and then tap it twice (with my trembling fingers, in a moving car) without accidentally hitting the Navigate bar. Then, after I've viewed the whole route, I have to tap the screen again to bring up the icon which I have to look at quickly before it disappears, and then tap it again to bring up the closer view. And hope I don't hit the Navigate bar again to bring up the options to enter a new destination, because then I'd have to tap a part of the screen without it to make those go away, and then try it all again.

Does anyone know of a better or faster way to alternate between the different viewing options of the Nav screen?

Tapping the top item in the turn-by-turn list will toggle back and forth between your current setting (heading up or north up) and the trip overview.

And since several people have asked in other threads, the estimated arrival state-of-charge is where it has always been, at the bottom of the turn-by-turn list.

Tapping the top item in the turn-by-turn list will toggle back and forth between your current setting (heading up or north up) and the trip overview.

And since several people have asked in other threads, the estimated arrival state-of-charge is where it has always been, at the bottom of the turn-by-turn list.
Except it was always visible before. Now it's only visible if you have the full turn by turn list open and scroll to the bottom.

Except it was always visible before. Now it's only visible if you have the full turn by turn list open and scroll to the bottom.
I'm still on v10, 2021.44.6, and the SOC remaining at end is only visible with the turn by turn fully open. (I have waypoints, but can't re-order them, just for reference).

I leave the music on half screen and it shoves the turn by turn up above it, and still shows SOC at destination.

Minimized, I just have eta and miles to go (I think?) but for sure no SOC

Reactions: Big Earl

The energy app has two tabs: consumption and trip.

The consumption tab is a look at your recent history over 5, 15 or 30 miles with a projected range based on that recent consumption.

The trip tab compares the computer’s initial (calculated at the start of a trip) estimated consumption and state of charge upon arrival compared (gray line) compared to your actual consumption with a continuously-revised estimate (green line). The trip tab takes into account speed limits and elevation changes.

The energy app’s trip tab is far more useful for actual energy monitoring than a simple Wh/mi display.

314F243C-D7FB-43B7-B2E2-EE4D1A4D4581.jpeg

1A64AB20-BC9A-401D-9639-43979DA2C282.jpeg

Pictures from V10. Energy app functionality is identical in V11. I just happened to have these two good examples from V10 available.

Yes, it covers the map, but I only check it a few times during a trip to see if I’m on track or not.

Last edited:
I'm still on v10, 2021.44.6, and the SOC remaining at end is only visible with the turn by turn fully open. (I have waypoints, but can't re-order them, just for reference).

I leave the music on half screen and it shoves the turn by turn up above it, and still shows SOC at destination.

Minimized, I just have eta and miles to go (I think?) but for sure no SOC
Thanks - I remember it being always visible but I'm obviously not on V10 anymore so I have no way of checking.

The consumption tab is a look at your recent history over 5, 15 or 30 miles with a projected range based on that recent consumption.

The trip tab compares the computer’s initial (calculated at the start of a trip) estimated consumption and state of charge upon arrival compared (gray line) compared to your actual consumption with a continuously-revised estimate (green line). The trip tab takes into account speed limits and elevation changes.

The energy app’s trip tab is far more useful for actual energy monitoring than a simple Wh/mi display.

View attachment 761494

View attachment 761493
Pictures from V10. Energy app functionality is identical in V11. I just happened to have these two good examples from V10 available.

Yes, it covers the map, but I only check it a few times during a trip to see if I’m on track or not.
1643472466901.png

1643472506701.png

As I said, consumption is more or less unless, and the trip only works if you're using the map for navigation and then it obscures the map that you're ostensibly using. :rolleyes: The majority of my driving I do without the map so it's still basically useless.

The cards that they had in V10 were quick, easy to pull up, unobtrusive and gave you more useful information.

consumption is more or less unless
I keep it up because I like it and it looks cool, but yeah, it really is kind of useless. I still don't know why the different time lengths (5/15/30 minutes, I think?) bear really no resemblance to each other. I would expect it to zoom in to the right side of the chart when viewing a shorter interval, but it really seems like three unrelated charts.
Trip chart, though, is super useful on trips.

I keep it up because I like it and it looks cool, but yeah, it really is kind of useless. I still don't know why the different time lengths (5/15/30 minutes, I think?) bear really no resemblance to each other. I would expect it to zoom in to the right side of the chart when viewing a shorter interval, but it really seems like three unrelated charts.

The options are your past 5, 15 and 30 miles of driving. The 5 mile chart would show you the right sixth of the 30 mile chart, with better definition. The 15 mile chart would show you the right half of the 30 mile chart.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The trip chart would be useful on a longer trip like a road trip (assuming you're using the navigation,) but I found the trip card to be the most useful in day to day driving.

View attachment 761494

View attachment 761493

Wow, that's some downhill ride in the middle of the trip! Never see that where I drive. I have Energy icon on my launcher bar when I'm on a road trip, so it's a quick tap to check how I'm doing then tap again to uncover the map.

Reactions: Big Earl
The options are your past 5, 15 and 30 miles of driving. The 5 mile chart would show you the right sixth of the 30 mile chart, with better definition. The 15 mile chart would show you the right half of the 30 mile chart.
Yep, it should be that, but for me it doesn't look that way. Imagine at 30 minutes, the the right 1/6 is level. Then at 15 minutes, it shows a uniform upward slope. Then at 5 minutes, it displays a swoop down into the green and back up. That's the kind of charts I am seeing - no correlation really at all. It's not like I could really do anything with that info, anyway, so it's OK.
I think the only consistency across all three I've seen is that long, steep slope down from West Virginia into North Caroline, where they all bottom out at max green.