Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jimt29

2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD, MSM/Black
Aug 13, 2015
Warwick, RI
Listings
It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!

Attachments

• simplified controls.png
    simplified controls.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 457
The Tesla voice commands have always been the easiest way to access many of the Tesla vehicle functions. Learn a dozen or so of the voice commands and this will enhance the user experience as you interact with the Tesla vehicle.

Lock/Unlock Doors
Open Glove Box
Mirrors - Fold/Unfold Mirrors
Sentry Mode - Keep Tesla Safe / Keep Summer Safe (for Rick & Morty fans)
Charging - Open Charge Port (also Open Butt Hole)
Wipers - Wipers On/Off/Low/Medium/Hi/1/2/3/4/Auto; Faster/Slower/Max/Min
Tire Pressure
Climate Control - Open/Close Climate Controls
Climate Control - Recirculate (cabin air) / Fresh Air
Climate Control - I'm Cold/I'm Hot
Climate Control - Turn Off/On H VAC
Climate Control - Split/Sync/Unsync Climate Control
Climate Control - Keep Climate On / (Dog Mode?)
Climate Control - Increase/Decrease Temperature X Degrees
Climate Control - My Feet are Cold / Hot
Climate Control - Set Fan to X/Auto
Music - Play Artist/Album/Song/Radio Station
Navigation - Navigate to Work/Home/McDonald's/Airport; Go Home

V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands

Last edited:
I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.
I am in the UK and got 2021.44.25.2 today. I agree with the above statement - on the whole I do really like v11.0 but the graphic and the "tour" on first launch are misleading - the way that it shows in the tour implied to me that I would have a small vertical bar (see below) before having to open the full screen controls under the Vehicle Settings menu

v11-3.jpg

Image Credit: Emulsifide/Not a Tesla App.

Seems though that this is a notifier to tell you "hey guys, we're in here from now on" rather than it actually showing the behaviour. I also dont like how you now need to go into a menu to manually save a dashcam event - but i suppose the argument here is "but it saves 10 mins prior to the tap so why does it matter"

This all said, I am sure we will get used to it in the same way we had to get used to v10 after coming from an ICE Vehicle.

Happy Holidays!!

Where do I find the tire pressure and trip distance/avg consumption cards now?
These are now in the vehicle menu - Trips for avg consumption and Service for Tire Pressure
Also, why the hell did they make the Font smaller for the Speed? I like how they move it up and closer the left edge of the screen, but why did they have to make it smaller Font? Argghh. I'll get use to it i'm sure.
I think you hit the nail on the head - "I'll get use to it I'm sure", every time there is a new version of Android or iOS we go through the whole "I dont like it" routine and now if someone handed you iOS 10 you would look at it and go "this is disgusting"

I hope to get used to it too, but right now I really miss the stuff at the top right corner of the screen. I’m actually not sure how to turn on sentry mode when I get out of my car, except with the app. I would usually just tap the sentry logo when I would get out when I would want it on. Same thing with the consumption and tire menus, it is much harder to access those than the card underneath the vehicle.

I get that they tried to give it a slicker look but there is a lot of wasted real estate on that screen now.

The Tesla voice commands have always been the easiest way to access many of the Tesla vehicle functions. Learn a dozen or so of the voice commands and this will enhance the user experience as you interact with the Tesla vehicle.

Lock/Unlock Doors
Open Glove Box
Mirrors - Fold/Unfold Mirrors
Sentry Mode - Keep Tesla Safe / Keep Summer Safe (for Rick & Morty fans)
Charging - Open Charge Port (also Open Butt Hole)
Wipers - Wipers On/Off/Low/Medium/Hi/1/2/3/4/Auto; Faster/Slower/Max/Min
Tire Pressure
Climate Control - Open/Close Climate Controls
Climate Control - Recirculate (cabin air) / Fresh Air
Climate Control - I'm Cold/I'm Hot
Climate Control - Turn Off/On H VAC
Climate Control - Split/Sync/Unsync Climate Control
Climate Control - Keep Climate On / (Dog Mode?)
Climate Control - Increase/Decrease Temperature X Degrees
Climate Control - My Feet are Cold / Hot
Climate Control - Set Fan to X/Auto
Music - Play Artist/Album/Song/Radio Station
Navigation - Navigate to Work/Home/McDonald's/Airport; Go Home

V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands
Yes, these work pretty well, except when they don’t. Weak cell signal areas contribute to missed commands, as do masks, stuffed sinuses, the list continues. But yes, this is the first thing to try when everything else requires you to pull over to find something newly buried under several levels of inane menus.

I hope to get used to it too, but right now I really miss the stuff at the top right corner of the screen. I’m actually not sure how to turn on sentry mode when I get out of my car, except with the app. I would usually just tap the sentry logo when I would get out when I would want it on. Same thing with the consumption and tire menus, it is much harder to access those than the card underneath the vehicle.

I get that they tried to give it a slicker look but there is a lot of wasted real estate on that screen now.
It’s all still there. Very similar to a major iPhone update. It’s confusing at first then becomes second nature. Once you get used to it in a day or two, it will get a lot better. I also predict another update soon with minor tweaks.

It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!
Totally agree. I think the loss of the display under the car graphic with Wh/mi, Odo, and tyre pressure is a real backward step.

Even on the wider UI changes, I think it's a backward step too - simplicity is sacrificed for fancy stuff of marginal benefit. Not impressed so far...

I actually do like the new update. I get it, things moved, but for me, I very seldom used the trip card or the tire pressure. Just to check once a week if that. So if it’s somewhere else, to me, that’s fine.

I like that finally when you turn the signal lights on, the cameras turn on. FINALLY!!

The fact that you can now customize the bottom menu to put the apps you want, instead of opening the music button, then making it bigger to switch to another app (FM/spotify/etc) now there are individual apps and you can have a button for them there for east access.

And come on, the light show is kinda cool even tho it’s silly, isn’t that what Teslas have always been about? Different, cool, silly.

I found myself wearing my mask in my car yesterday… I went to pick up some food and just didn’t take it off until I got back home. It happens often. Not to have the mask purposefully, but just as a continuity of wearing it inside. Easy to remove, but that would be my answer to “why?”

Otherwise, I know all the features are still there, it’s just frustrating that they made it “personalizable” but at the end there is only so much that can be personalized. There is plenty of room in the bar at the bottom to have 6 or 8 items, which I think would solve a lot of the grievances right now, if we could add back the seat heaters, sentry mode, consumption or driver profiles. I’m sure it will come in a future update soon.