Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new UI, when I swipe right on navigate, it always wants to take me to “work.” I don’t have a work address (I work at home). It used to always route to home when I swiped. Any idea how to change it back?

PS it’s the same whether I have the “automatically navigate to home, work, etc” is on or off.

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
OMG...this 2021 holiday update is a ***massive*** step backwards for the user interface on Tesla vehicles, and I'm going to hold off installing it as long as I possibly can.

I thought the 2020 holiday update was bad enough (e.g., "Hey...let's make the speedometer small, the same size as other numerical symbols, and put it on the left of a row of other numerical data, causing the mind to have to take an extra half a second to be sure it's looking at *SPEED*...).

But this 2021 thing is a horrid, awful mess. Holy h*ll, it's terrible.

A few quick observations:

1. The cheesy MacOS-style icons with clashing colors are terrible.

2. It looks like there's no simple list of "Favorites" and "Recents" across all audio sources anymore??? Can that possibly be true? It's now a multi-step process to get into each audio source independently and then select from favorites or recents within each individual audio source app? That's !&^@%$# insane.

3. Where the heck did the WiFi and Bluetooth icons go in the upper right??? Those were massively useful to get into those settings and also monitor LTE signal strength to see if it was related to connectivity losses while driving.

4. The comments some others are making about how getting to defrost controls and wiper settings now forces you to fumble through menus while you're driving?

5. Also, what happened to the quick-select button to turn sentry on or off that was on the main display in the upper right corner? It's just gone? JFC, this is a mess...just like the last holiday update.

6. Overall, there's a ton of things that you used to be able to get to quickly (tire pressures, odometer, LTE and Bluetooth, Sentry on/off) that are now diving through menus.

7. You can't monitor your Wh/mi in a card right under the car anymore? Why? OMG.

JFC. Tesla shouldn't be allowed to make these levels of changes to the *!&!^%@$ interface. It's nuts.

- B

Everything is still there, just in different places. This kinda reminds me when my wife moved the knife block in the kitchen from the left of my range to inside a cabinet. At first I was like “where the F are they”. Now I know the locaction and the kitchen counters look a little more uncluttered.
Is the kitchen 5000+ pounds zipping down the road?

5. Also, what happened to the quick-select button to turn sentry on or off that was on the main display in the upper right corner? It's just gone? JFC, this is a mess...just like the last holiday update.
You can customize the main screen by adding specific widgets, i.e. Sentry Mode to the screen. You can add and reorder the widgets that appear at the bottom of the screen.

I want to add the trunk-hatch open/close widget to the main screen (also to the Tesla app) but not until I can set this to require a double press of the icon to activate.

Last edited:
I really hate that the seat heaters are in climate now. If I want just the seat heater on w/o climate, I have to turn climate ON, turn seat heater on, the turn climate off. Then if I want to turn the seat heater off, or even see whether the seat heater is on, I have to turn climate back on again, turn seat heater off, then climate off. A lot of unnecessary on/off of the heat pump as well as more time looking away from the road. The voice command for seat heaters isn’t intuitive, and certainly isn’t an option for the passenger. I hate it. Is there a shortcut I’m missing?

I also have a bug that when I close the drivers door, the window goes up as usual, but then ALL the windows go back down about 1/4 inch. The climate/heater also seems quite a bit louder than it used to. I liked the rear fan control on the main climate screen. I liked all the music stuff together too. And the cards. Blargh. I assume it’s not possible to revert to previous software?
Exactly! This really pisses me off. Have to open the climate control window (which automatically turns on the HVAC system), set my seat heating, then turn off the HVAC. Asinine.

Last edited: