Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean 'wake up' the tire pressure display. Is this delay in transmit a Tesla/BT issue? As far as I know my other sensors transmit all the time (at some interval) so they can be paired to the car and read without driving/moving.
The BT TPMS sensors used in the Model 3, Model Y are designed to go into a suspend/sleep mode whenever the vehicle stops moving for a short time. This conserves the battery in the TPMS sensor. The TPMS sensor will start transmitting again shortly after the sensor detects that the vehicle is moving.

They will update it and add more in the future. Until then, there are other products out there if you’re unhappy with this product. You have the power to live in the past and never update your car. Maybe a Mach E is a better fit—something that will never get updated.
What the...? They aren't trying to live in the past. It's hard to argue that anyone that owns a Tesla is, or want to, live in the past. You shouldn't take things personally like this.

Why does everyone come up with this reaction to users being discontented with a software update? Why is there just a certain type of consumer that feels the need to provide this sort of glib and uncharitable advice to users who are essentially tying to provide feedback to a company that inarguably needs the helpful and constructive criticism that forums like this provide? Seriously, the "just deal with it" crowd are the ones that need operational perspective here. If you like it, great- say just that. I've seen a lot of people issue personal attacks on other members for voicing out against what many people have deemed a poorly implemented concept. If we want it fixed, we need to provide input and criticism. Popular forums like this provide that outlet for consumers and act as an invaluable resource for the business. I don't see the need to stifle that, and I simply resent the desire to do so. I made a very successful career working forums like this and traveling the world for a massive technology company and I can promise you that proactive corporation like Tesla read and use these forums to better develop the product. Any large successful company does this if they want to stay successful and aim for the top.

So to all of you so upset with icons being hard to access, moved, looking stupid- KEEP COMPLAINING! I guarantee you that Tesla finds this type of chatter far more useful than, "if you don't like it then go buy something else!"... for a number of reasons.

The BT TPMS sensors used in the Model 3, Model Y are designed to go into a suspend/sleep mode whenever the vehicle stops moving for a short time. This conserves the battery in the TPMS sensor. The TPMS sensor will start transmitting again shortly after the sensor detects that the vehicle is moving.

It doesn't seem to take much movement before the tire pressures start showing up. It makes sense that the sensors go into some sort of sleep mode to conserve the battery life.

However, one morning I got in the car and there was a warning that the pressure in one of my tires was too low for me to drive off. I had not even put it in Drive. Do the sensors wake up periodically just to check for flats? There was no warning when I got out of the car the night before.

I just spent an hour working on muscle memory for hitting the defrost and seat heaters (easy wiper was occasionally used before so I didn't have to learn it.)

I forgot to take the list of V10 voice commands with me. Almost none of the voice commands I tried worked. "Driver's seat heater on" worked but put it on high. "Driver's seat heater Low" turned on the temperature to low (it must have hear heater low) and then nothing worked because it couldn't hear me over the roar of the fan. That's happened to me with defrost when I first got the car, but that time I was also wearing a mask which I wasn't today.

Turned on the lane change camera.

Mourned the loss of my defroster buttons then worked on 'fixing' up the audio system to suit me. The ability to display sources vs up next is enough for me. I've got ADD and bounce around audio sources when driving. The sources displayed when audio is covering half the nav screen solves that issue. (When I'm ADDing over audio distractions I won't be paying close attention to the nav so don't need both at the same time (and didn't have both under V10 either, I actually think the new layout is better than the old.)

One thing off the main screen and under the controls screen is "update available". We don't have wifi so having a main screen indication of update available is important to us in the planning of our errands to swing by the service centre to use their wifi for updates. Thankfully, most of the time it comes up on our local FB group so I will know to go look. This download is the game portion of the Christmas update so we need to go back to get it downloaded if I want to bother with sudoku.

Does anyone know how to remove audio sources? I don't need three of them (Tidal Caraoke and Tidal) and would like to clean up my screens (after all Tesla thinks removing things to clean up the look is a good thing) but I couldn't find the edit sources under the audio settings where it used to be.

Haven't actually driven the car yet but that will come eventually. Technically can't go anywhere at the moment.

Reactions: MrWattson
It doesn't seem to take much movement before the tire pressures start showing up. It makes sense that the sensors go into some sort of sleep mode to conserve the battery life.

However, one morning I got in the car and there was a warning that the pressure in one of my tires was too low for me to drive off. I had not even put it in Drive. Do the sensors wake up periodically just to check for flats? There was no warning when I got out of the car the night before.
The TPMS sensor stops transmitting a BT signal when the Tesla vehicle is stationary but continues to monitor tire pressure. A sudden loss of tire pressure or loss of too much pressure could trigger the TPMS sensor to send an alert.

Reactions: CaseyL
I think to some extent Tesla shot themselves in the foot (again). I suspect a number of ligitimate complaints would be minimized if the alternatives were properly documented and if the documents were available at or prior to release as a download. E.g.
The Not A Tesla App write-up via Reddit describes the hard way of bringing of climate controls and doesn't mention swiping up. Perhaps everyone thinks this is an easy discovery because it's an exisiting action that now does something completely different. Likewise you can bring up the mini-climate by tapping a temperature change arrow ('<' or '>') but 1) that's a very small target and 2) it changes the temp. Just by a one degree but it's an obvious error. Or consider the headlight pop-up. I wonder how many people have discovered that?
I believe you can just hit the temperature number itself to bring up the climate controls. It's a bigger target than the arrows.

Where do I find the tire pressure and trip distance/avg consumption cards now?
I got used to simultaneous having either of these cards displayed on the lower left and having the map screen open. Now that convenience has been eliminated and you can't view this info without obstructing the map. And what happened to the supercharger show map points toggle on the right of the map screen?

Reactions: Jimt29
I’d recommend to anyone who finds this updated as ill-conceived and dangerous as I do to submit an NHTSA complaint online. We can all wax lyrical here about our concerns but it’s just shouting into the void as far as affecting change is concerned.

If you are honestly worried about your safety, you should sit in the driveway and spend time practicing with the menus until you are comfortable with the UI.

Taking the time to submit a complaint to the NHSTA is a waste of time. You could be practicing and learning instead.

Bodosom: "Or consider the headlight pop-up. I wonder how many people have discovered that?" - not me for one, please do share the secret :)
I haven't had a chance to test myself, but went digging around for this one as well since I toggle the fog lights all of the time... Apparently if you push the light stalk forward to activate the auto high beams, it will pop up some controls on the screen.

Joined to add my voice to this - I agree with all the negative reviews of this update. I'm a software developer and UX professional, and model 3 owner for 2+ years. I loved the original tesla UI (prior to this update) exactly for it's usability and design. It had things that could be improved, such as the swipe cards for tire pressure and odometer not working reliably. And I understand the desire to declutter the screen, but in UX, one-click is FAR FAR more usable than two-click, so frequently used things, like bluetooth, cell, wifi, air temp, seat heaters, defrost buttons, should never be changed from one to two click, if screen real-estate is sufficient. And screen real-estate is more than sufficient in these cars! So it does show very inexperienced UX/UI designers are calling the shots in the Tesla software UI team. I personally don't blame them as everyone has to learn, but it is the responsibility of the leaders of the company to ensure they have sufficiently experienced people in place to coach and help those more junior people learn.

I do agree there is a reduced level of safety in this update. Operating a moving vehicle is very different from using a smartphone or tablet, this really shouldn't have to be pointed out. All it takes is to get someone from Tesla who *didn't* design these screen changes to go for a test drive prior to releasing the update, it's immediately clear that these changes do have an impact how how many seconds you need to take your attention off the road.

- The seatbelt diagram is horizontal, making is almost impossible to figure out which person doesn't have a belt on.
- The side mirror view is blocked by the drivers hand, it should be larger and placed at the top of the screen.
- The recent apps is a terrible idea - I don't want a set of random icons displayed permanently on screen, where I may never use them again for months.
- The monochrome icons were far easier to distinguish than the colorized versions, and they looked better, and more professional.
- The split of music sources to separate apps, and the implementation of the whole music feature is a bungle.
- The app to stream audio from a phone is called 'Bluetooth' with a bluetooth icon, which I associate with bluetooth settings.
- Removal of the driver profile name from the main screen, and not being able to switch and update profiles from the main screen is a mistake.
- The bold font size is less readable and looks amature.
- The ridiculously small font size and mini-icons for defrost on the air-con buttons in the tray are misleading and cluttered.
- The split air-con is a huge waste of space. Air-con in the most important button on the screen. Put it back in the middle, and put split settings in the larger popup area with all the other settings.
- Wipers, since auto does *not* function properly, must be accessible by one-click at all times.

Wow, seriously let down by this update. Makes me sad every time I get in the car now. I used to love this car, but now not as much. I hope Tesla addresses this in the next update very soon.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say this is stupidly small to attempt to read while driving lol:
IMG_5150.jpeg

I can't comment on all the changes in V11 because I haven't installed it (and won't, as long as I can live without the legitimate improvements that will come with successive software updates). I strongly disapprove of making access to odometer, TPMS, wiper settings, seat heaters and defrost controls more difficult than before. I'll monitor comments to see how this situation evolves, and hope that Tesla can back out the unpopular changes in a future update.

Reactions: Jimt29
If you are honestly worried about your safety, you should sit in the driveway and spend time practicing with the menus until you are comfortable with the UI.
I agree with the need for familiarizing but for real safety Tesla is requiring that you either stop driving or have an Olympic degree of fine motor control and eye-hand coordination. This release is a perfect example -- it violates multiple automobile ergonomic expectations as if Tesla can't wait for level 5 autonomy so they act as if it's already here. Then a cadre of people respond to the deficiencies by saying 'Use voice commands' even though they are effectively undocumented! Even if you accept that Tesla can't manage basic functions with in-car processing so you need a network connection for voice control there's no excuse for not providing a complete list of commands in the manual -- that you have to read in the car.

Taking the time to submit a complaint to the NHSTA is a waste of time. You could be practicing and learning instead.
One should not have to sit in the driveway and practice - the software and display should be intuitive. I got honked at a red light today when I was trying to find the dashcam and sentry function. The light had changed. Granted not the place to hunt for the first time but why they decided to remove functional icons while dedicating so much space to the left pane is a bit perplexing. I can deal without hard buttons and knobs but I cannot understand the human factor/design ethos of having to drill into SW functional layers when driving. My answer was 'use the voice command' but I am finding more of those deactivated in this update too.