Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the highest expectation a Tesla owner should have, of the most relevant software update of the year, by the highest-valued car company in the history of the world, from a company that has revolutionized computer integration in an automobile, revolutionized OTA owner updates? "Not as terrible, not as bad as initially seemed"?
No, and it was my experience, not my expectation........still, I didn't buy a Tesla because of the user interface or the screen (in fact that's almost why I didn't buy one). So, I'm not really concerned if the UI doesn't give me everything I want; it didn't before, and it still doesn't (though in different ways).

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Thank you very much, I called. Long story short, the support guy admitted, it is about distracting from driving. 3 buttons instead of one on many functions.
And he was the second one after Tesla support, refusing to roll back version, officially.

Toll-Free: 888-327-4236

I would also call NHTSA and asked them, what do they think about car control while/(instead of?) driving. And where they put speedometer, which menu level. At least. American fellows, you can do that.
You guys do realize that getting NHTSA involved will ultimately lead to every release needin approval, right?

Maryland and at night and with rain the new Blind Spot camera are useless. Also the turn single lights affect the image.
I took a closer look at the side facing camera/turn signal unit in my MY. I wonder if some type of shroud made of plastic could shield the camera from the turn signal LED without blocking the LED. It's also possible that Tesla could program a different flash rate for the side turn signals.

You guys do realize that getting NHTSA involved will ultimately lead to every release needin approval, right?
One can only hope.

I'm surprised it's not already required?

Maybe then Tesla will get these right before sending out.

I'd be really surprised that any single complaint in any of these threads was not predicted by Tesla, along with competent statistical analysis to support the final decisions, with respect to each alternative suggested here. With their resources, that should be easy.

Then "approval" by NHTSA would be a review of the update and supporting documentation, everything looks good, then good to go. No extra work on Tesla's part, maybe once in a while a minor back and forth to tweak or clarify a detail, add a week.

Build it all into the release schedule. That's what PM's are for.

But seeing how badly they fumbled some details, I should not be surprised at anything.

(AND THE SKY IS NOT FALLING, I just have extremely high expectations for Tesla, they do so much so well, even small oversights land with a loud thunk).

• Disagree
Reactions: Vin_L
One can only hope.

I'm surprised it's not already required?

Maybe then Tesla will get these right before sending out.

I'd be really surprised that any single complaint in any of these threads was not predicted by Tesla, along with competent statistical analysis to support the final decisions, with respect to each alternative suggested here. With their resources, that should be easy.

Then "approval" by NHTSA would be a review of the update and supporting documentation, everything looks good, then good to go. No extra work on Tesla's part, maybe once in a while a minor back and forth to tweak or clarify a detail, add a week.

Build it all into the release schedule. That's what PM's are for.

But seeing how badly they fumbled some details, I should not be surprised at anything.

(AND THE SKY IS NOT FALLING, I just have extremely high expectations for Tesla, they do so much so well, even small oversights land with a loud thunk).
So when there is a hack that renders all cars inoperable without an OTA update, you hope Tesla has to go through weeks/months of certifications for that to happen?

I think there is good compromise somewhere else. Maybe major releases get verified or they just need to check whether certain controls are added/moved/removed. But one of the reasons Tesla software is great is the ability to fix things immediately (VW and Polestar were bashed over not having OTA updates at launch which Tesla has had for years).

We were on Oahu when I got the update to 2021.44.25.2 and hit install. It was only after reading the multiple UI threads that I wondered whether I had impulsively made a mistake.

Today was the first day driving the Y and the changes aren't as bad as I read about. It is a cleaner interface and the app drawer is more reminiscent of what we'd see on our smartphones. I miss the cards for Wh/m and tire pressure but I can still find the info in its new locations. Some say it's now a two-button press to get to Wh/m or tire pressure but really it took two swipes as well before to alternate between Wh/m and PSI.

I like the auto blind spot camera view when using the turn signals. My biggest gripe is still just a small matter of not being able to activate heat seaters without turning on the whole climate system. Odd that the steering wheel heater can operate automatically independent of the climate system, but the auto seat heaters require the climate system to be on in order to work.
Looks like I spoke too early. Although I can roll with the latest changes, my wife and daughter just took the Y out and first thing they said after coming home is they both hate, hate, hate the new update and that I need to revert/downgrade to the previous version. My understanding is there's no going backwards but I submitted a service request anyways to see what can be done. As a software developer myself, I don't see why they can't put back the previous source code. I understand if that means a factory reset and losing your saved profiles and settings but it should still be possible. I think with more time the wife will get used to it. For the time being I'm trying to comfort/console her with the possibility that the next update will restore the icons and their placement. Anything is possible.

I am certainly getting used to the V.11, but am troubled by the nocturnal glare on the blind spot cam images. I also am confused by the icon that appears when initiating navigation (which seems to show a steering wheel and some other tiny stuff) and which is either blue or gray on alternating taps. And I am certain I will get the usual “Why didn’t you read the manual, dope?” comments that some here live to post, but I tried for days to locate an answer and was unable to.

Attachments

• 4BE046A0-EFB7-425F-BC97-737374203C2C.jpeg
    4BE046A0-EFB7-425F-BC97-737374203C2C.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 58543DFA-A514-42A4-ADC9-B83A03AAA96E.jpeg
    58543DFA-A514-42A4-ADC9-B83A03AAA96E.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 53
Lots of room for improvement for sure. Why such a small dock? What's with "recents"? We should have a place where we could dock 7-10 one touch widgets of our choice. From here and Reddit Tesla is getting feedback pretty quickly, lets hope there's another update out soon...

Completely agree with most of the comments here - overall a huge step backwards. There’s very little to like here and a whole lot to hate.

One ’shortcut’ for the wiper settings: If you press the mist button on the end of the blinker stalk a wiper menu will pop up on the screen.

My Audi A4 and Subaru Forester both have a far better blind spot system - they have a large (approx 3x3 cm) light on the inner side of the side mirror housing. When you change lanes, you look at the mirror and automatically see it. Forcing someone to take their eyes off of traffic to look at the screen is stupid, not to mention the fact that if you’re merging left the screen is the exact opposite direction you should be looking. Honda tried this idiotic system for a while. It sucked with them, too.

Allowing some customization on the menu bar is good but amount of customization they allow in no way compensates for the what they took away. In general, the previous interface was quite good. Most of what you needed was available within a single tap. No more.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vin_L and OxBrew
Correct; with V11 you have to get a little creative with the voice commands. "Tire Pressure" no longer works but "Display Service Settings" will show you the Service settings screen with the tire pressure readouts. Clearly V11 is not ready for Prime Time. Tesla needs to add widgets for additional functions including Sentry mode, LTE, BT, Wipers, Headlights, Defroster, Seat Heaters, Charge and other settings. The UI needs to be able to display more than 4 selected widget controls at a time. There needs to be an option to always display one of the Trips odometers (Current Trip/Drive, Since Last Charge, Trip A, Trip B (Lifetime)) underneath the vehicle graphic, as with the previous software version.
As others have said, voice commands are no substitute for a decent interface. Especially when they are counter intuitive and incomplete. They also can’t be used by passengers.

So when there is a hack that renders all cars inoperable without an OTA update, you hope Tesla has to go through weeks/months of certifications for that to happen?

I think there is good compromise somewhere else. Maybe major releases get verified or they just need to check whether certain controls are added/moved/removed. But one of the reasons Tesla software is great is the ability to fix things immediately (VW and Polestar were bashed over not having OTA updates at launch which Tesla has had for years).
For an urgent hack patch, NHTSA would work with Tesla to release as soon as possible, I'm sure, depending on severity. It would be in their interest.;

Do you guys use your own phones or key cards to access the car? You can set it up so that whoever opens the door, the seat will automatically adjust to that driver's profile. I didn't set it up on the new version, but it was carried over from the previous version. I'm sure it's the same way to do it but may look different on the screen now.
Somewhere in control- locks - keys, there's an icon of a person. You click that when you have selected your driver profile, and key. Then same for your wife's phone/key/driver profile.
I just snipped a random image on google so you get an idea on what you need to look for.
This doesn’t work reliably, especially if the first person to get in the car is the passenger.

my wife and daughter just took the Y out and first thing they said after coming home is they both hate, hate, hate the new update
My sentiments exactly.

I can’t even figure out how to turn on my seat heater without turning on the heat. Horrible! Elon must be occupied selling stock or looking at ranches in Texas instead of reviewing major UI updates. The only positive thing I can say is that colors look nice. Everything else stinks.

Today, Europe has "smart" headlights .. we dont have them cause the regulations dont allow them in the US (for several years now). Europe also has cameras instead of wing mirrors, which again, we dont have because the regulations forbid them. And on and on ... If you imagine that the NHSTA could approve a change in anything less than 1-2 years you are smoking something pretty strong. EVERY safety agency in government is like that, trust me, I've worked with the FAA and FDA .. it's incredibly slow, painful, and bureaucratic.

Sure V11 needs work but even in its current state it’s better than the others I mentioned.

what do you think will get more traction with Tesla? screaming ‘”you guys are idiots this whole this is garbage!!!” Or “I really would like to see a way to turn on seat warmers from the main screen again” ???

I shouldn’t have to talk sweet, or kindly ask Tesla for anything. I paid my money and bought the product I liked based on what was presented to me in the showroom and in the car. That’s how I made my choice and I don’t want it changed. I want what I paid for. Make improvements, fix bugs, increase efficiency. Don’t ruin the genius.

All you guys that say voice command is the answer to all the missing touch functions….Ha! Explain why an icon for the phone, the freaking phone!, was added to the dock. The one single thing that is most easily and effectively controlled by voice command, now has a stupid colored icon front and center.
But heated seats and defroster are gone, and you think voice command is the answer. Get real.

The music note was genius, all the audio entertainment was contained there. It opened the music window, sliding your finger over the note expanded it, collapsed it, and everything audio was contained within. Perfect execution. Why change that and break anything out ?

If you are honestly worried about your safety, you should sit in the driveway and spend time practicing with the menus until you are comfortable with the UI.

Taking the time to submit a complaint to the NHSTA is a waste of time. You could be practicing and learning instead.
And any car interface that requires you to spend a significant amount of time in the driveway ’practicing with the menus’ is a HUGE and unmitigated fail.

At the risk of further opening a can of worms, following a serious MVA in Germany around a year ago where the Tesla owner claimed it was exacerbated by his inability to easily switch on the wipers, didn’t a judge rule that windshield wiper activation had to be a one-touch move?

Tesla doesn't roll back software updates ever. If something bad happens, they issue a new release that fixes it. But it would be the same software. Once you click download and acknowledge the install, you are stuck with it.
What happens if you never accept the install? If a Tesla has its WiFi off and no one ever starts the download...what happens?