Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lot of tantrums about this update. I think yawl are taking it all too seriously. We were told at every step of the way that FSD was BETA. When you get involved with anything listed/labeled as Beta, you really must expect changes down the road. BTW, let me know how clenching your fists and stomping your little feet works with Elon!!!🤣

Yes, but since our cars can't download the blind-spot indicator onto the side-view mirror, the next best thing that could be done are the now-implemented side camera view and hopefully the warning chime in the future.

I also wonder why Tesla doesn't do the blind-spot indicator in the side-view mirrors. I've been driving a rental Nissan Kicks for the past month and it has a nice big blind-spot indicator on the side-view mirrors (but I can't wait to drive my MYP again).
Because no one uses their turn signals or checks blind spots in California where Tesla's made. Just like how they think passengers don't use the lumbar support lol :)

• Funny
Reactions: gx9901
I encourage EVERYONE that is NOT HAPPY with this V11 update to inform TESLA you are not happy and demand your car’s feature functionality be returned to you.
What we were sold is not what we have.
Safety and functionality are not the only thing at stake here.

Why did they ruin the perfectly intuitive, and industry leading UI that attracted us to this car, and that we paid for.

Let the Class Actions begin!
Right, because lawyers are the answer to everything.

Right, because lawyers are the answer to everything.
Agreed. And if we only got what we paid for we wouldn't expect constant updates and improvements right? But sometimes they push things we don't like and/or don't work as planned so raising a bit of a stink and hoping to get Tesla's attention is needed but as an old boss of mine used to say in his southern drawl, "don't throw all your toys out of the crib!.." Yes, lots to fix here for sure and hopefully they'll be pushed soon :).

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Lot of tantrums about this update. I think yawl are taking it all too seriously. We were told at every step of the way that FSD was BETA. When you get involved with anything listed/labeled as Beta, you really must expect changes down the road. BTW, let me know how clenching your fists and stomping your little feet works with Elon!!
The complaints aren't about FSD, but simply operating the car for any and everyday use. And, actually, Tesla is probably more responsive to internet comments (clenching fists and stomping feet, virtually) than any other car manufacturer.

I don't mind the missing X to close a screen - I prefer swiping down (I have an intention tremour and it's easier and safer than hitting a small X, in my opinion), but I don't like the slider controls for temperature (fortunately, I rarely change the temperature by more than half a degree anyway, which is just a tap).

As for driving hand position, it's true that 10-2 position is not recommended any more because of the fracture risk in case of an air bag deployment. They say 8-4 is preferred, but 9-3 is OK too. I find 8-4 to be uncomfortable, so I'm trying to use 9-3 instead (but I'm old, and I keep defaulting back to 10-2, but I'm learning).

If a chime indicates your blindspot is occupied when the turn signal is activated, it's not really blindspot monitoring.
This is true. I suggested a chime or wheel torque as a trivial (no new hardware) alternative to waiting until the safety system decides you're about to depart the lane into a collision or the current repeater camera view. I'll be trying a convex mirror insert.

Lot of tantrums about this update. I think yawl are taking it all too seriously. We were told at every step of the way that FSD was BETA. When you get involved with anything listed/labeled as Beta, you really must expect changes down the road. BTW, let me know how clenching your fists and stomping your little feet works with Elon!!!🤣
Now if you read this post with an Irish accent, it has a lot of meaning!

• Funny
Reactions: GeezerSquid
As for driving hand position, it's true that 10-2 position is not recommended any more because of the fracture risk in case of an air bag deployment. They say 8-4 is preferred, but 9-3 is OK too. I find 8-4 to be uncomfortable, so I'm trying to use 9-3 instead (but I'm old, and I keep defaulting back to 10-2, but I'm learning).
I think that I'll try using the 11:30 and 12:30 position. 👌💩💩💩

Reactions: OxBrew
What are you talking about? 99% of Teslas are not FSD. The new software is for all cars, not just for people with FSD Teslas or even people who selected "Advance" in the software option. I have "standard" selected and the car is trying to get me to update.

Regardless, Musk already posted changes are coming. This UI is horrific. All three of my friends who have it hate it. I have a strong background in user centric design. The new UI is one of the worse I've ever seen and goes against a multitude of design rules. Thankfully, I turned WiFi off in time.

In an earlier post I noted that our UI suddenly went blank and would flash the Tesla "T". I had problems starting the car since I had "PIN to Start" set - no PIN entry pad would appear. Finally able to start it with a the correct timing of key card, etc. Took it to the Service Center with no stops/exit of car. Turns out that very early Model 3's have a firmware incompatibility with V11. Our M3 is number 24550. Soon after our car was brought in the SC received two more M3's with the same problem. One of them was flat-bedded in since the owner never was able to get it started. We didn't encounter our problem until was had driven the car several times and had one longer (20+ mile) drive.
The SC updated the firmware and reloaded V11 and everything seems fine so far except I lost all of my settings.

Personally I find it awkward, uncomfortable for long periods, and ultimately it is not any safer than the 8-4 position.

If your hand is blocking your view of the screen, there's an easy solution - move your hand.
Hmm interesting ..how do you know it is safer? The idea behind 10-2 or even 9-3 is that you can immediately turn the wheel in an emergency, whereas with 8-4 you can only really move the wheel by pushing .. an action that is inherently less accurate than pulling. Ever seen videos or cars swerving violently on the road till they spin out? Guess how those guys were holding the wheel?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Actually lots of people .. including me .. why dont you? Not cool enough?
Has nothing to do with being cool. It’s very uncomfortable and uptight. But you do you
Personally I find it awkward, uncomfortable for long periods, and ultimately it is not any safer than the 8-4 position.

If your hand is blocking your view of the screen, there's an easy solution - move your hand.
Exactly my thought too

What are you talking about? The *tons* of comments about the horrible interface changes with this latest update have absolutely nothing to do with "full-self driving" at all. Did you actually read any of this thread at all???

Reactions: e645824
The new update reinforces my long held theory that Tesla’s UI designers are graphically talented non Tesla owners, likely too young to have a driver’s license.

How else do you explain the improvements in graphics, fonts, video games and gimmicks while (with a few exceptions) greatly complicating the usability of the day to day driver interface?

Even when something long needed like the blindspot turn signal camera feature is included, they blow it.

Instead of being at the very top left of the screen, closest to the horizon where you can see it quickly, they put it at the bottom where it is harder to see and often covered by your right hand on the wheel. And still no beep when you turn on the signal if a car is in your way. And on my car at least, no red avatars!

Yes the camera add is an improvement but with no more effort it could have been so much safer.

With Elon getting older, I was hoping that this update might finally recognize the fact that senior citizens buy and drive Teslas. No luck. Every smart phone and computer has a mode that enlarges fonts, buttons etc. for aging eyes. And those machines are not even capable of self propelled motion at dangerous speeds.

And why isn’t there a full screen map option. Those gorgeous full screen maps in the early model S cars were one of the reasons I bought one. The smaller screen in my current Y is even more reason to have the option of covering the large, distracting and useless third of the screen dedicated to what you are already looking at through the front windshield.

So why would good designers waste that kind of valuable screen real estate on a poor re creation of what you can already see?

It reminds them of playing video games.

What else could it be?

It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!
I agree. In order to defrost my window it took two steps that while going blind with a foggy window

Reactions: astrobill