Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The complaints aren't about FSD, but simply operating the car for any and everyday use. And, actually, Tesla is probably more responsive to internet comments (clenching fists and stomping feet, virtually) than any other car manufacturer.

I don't mind the missing X to close a screen - I prefer swiping down (I have an intention tremour and it's easier and safer than hitting a small X, in my opinion), but I don't like the slider controls for temperature (fortunately, I rarely change the temperature by more than half a degree anyway, which is just a tap).

As for driving hand position, it's true that 10-2 position is not recommended any more because of the fracture risk in case of an air bag deployment. They say 8-4 is preferred, but 9-3 is OK too. I find 8-4 to be uncomfortable, so I'm trying to use 9-3 instead (but I'm old, and I keep defaulting back to 10-2, but I'm learning).
Personally, I actually am most comfortable with my left hand at 7:30, Im not telling what my right is doing. lol.

Reactions: andaconda
I am wondering about this myself. I actually believe this update was a very serious endeavor by Tesla. They probably had their best people working many months on it and carefully considered how every detail of the new UI would impact the driving experience. So... with that in mind I am at a total loss to explain how it seems to have missed its mark so badly. It just doesn't make sense.

Could it be that it didn't miss its mark at all, and that this is actually the new direction Tesla is taking?

After all, there are only about 50 of us that are complaining and maybe a million that are not. What is a good way to provide constructive feedback to Tesla?
I cant speak for tesla, but things dont just 'appear' in the car world without a LOT of people signing off on it.

this was not an 'oops, I committed to the wrong tree' event.

this was on purpose and they meant it. they had no urgent need to release this. and bugfixes can continue to be released and almost always are backported at least to the last major release.

the fact that this passed thru various levels is what convinced me that we have passed peak tesla.

I think the real issue here is Tesla mandating that 95% of the single display be used for eye candy. The UI designers’ hands are tied because they’re told “you can do anything you want but the right ⅔ of the screen always has to show the map and the left ⅓ always has to show the driving visualization”.

Yes, visualization Is cool. But frankly, using a third of the display closest to the driver to show my car driving past trash bins is ridiculous. That prime real estate should show media presets, basic climate controls, etc. YES I know why they do it… so when you get in a Tesla you see how their technology is light years ahead… but why not have the ability to swipe right from the left edge of the screen to temporarily display (over the visualization, below the speed) a customizable quick access ”drawer” where you can put any controls you want?

Seems like each update is designed to push us more and more toward using voice controls. Problem is, they don’t always work and in most cases tapping once on the screen is faster.

V11 is merely a work in progress, though,
You don't put a "work in progress" into a 2 ton computer on wheels that puts its users within 18" of physical trauma several times a day (i.e. driving). What a ridiculous attempt at justification, and I hope that it's not Tesla's opinion as well. This is not a beta feature, it's one of the main ways of using the car's utility and safety features.

I tried to get the car to turn on my seat heater by voice command today, just as an experiment. It took 3 tries before it understood me (maybe because I lisp?). It's frustrating enough to get it to make a phone call for me, because it understands me if I say "call John", but not if I say "phone John".......I shouldn't have to learn a whole new language pattern in order to operate a car. I don't care that much when it's just an option that's supposed to make things easier - I'll do it the "harder" way, but I certainly don't want those voice commands to be the intended, primary way of operation.

You don't put a "work in progress" into a 2 ton computer on wheels that puts its users within 18" of physical trauma several times a day (i.e. driving). What a ridiculous attempt at justification, and I hope that it's not Tesla's opinion as well. This is not a beta feature, it's one of the main ways of using the car's utility and safety features.

I tried to get the car to turn on my seat heater by voice command today, just as an experiment. It took 3 tries before it understood me (maybe because I lisp?). It's frustrating enough to get it to make a phone call for me, because it understands me if I say "call John", but not if I say "phone John".......I shouldn't have to learn a whole new language pattern in order to operate a car. I don't care that much when it's just an option that's supposed to make things easier - I'll do it the "harder" way, but I certainly don't want those voice commands to be the intended, primary way of operation.

Umm... It's a work in progress just like every other iteration has been a work in progress since V1.000.

Is the side camera view something which needs to be enabled? From reading here it appears it turns on with the turn signal, correct? I have been driving around for several days and not experienced this. Just went through menu settings and do not see where it could be turned on.

I may be misunderstanding something here...so looking for clarification. Thanks in advance.
Yes; must be enabled in settings. To enable, tap Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Blind Spot Camera.

Almost every hardware store has a little section of BLIND SPOT mirrors, those little round or oval shaped convex mirrors that stick onto the outside rear-view mirror. If you have trouble checking your blind spot, you need one of these little devices.

The only gripe I have is that people put the little mirror in the upper outer edge of their mirror, blocking the reflection behind them, while a third of the mirror image is of their car. PUT THE MIRROR over the reflection of your car!!! Then you can see the traffic behind you AND the car in your blind spot.
You can adjust your mirror more left to show blind spot and shift your head if you need to see behind you or use rear view mirror. No need for a blind spot mirror if used this way. Took me a month to adjust and now I’d never go back.

I usually leave making the changes to my boss/wife while I drive, and I only muck around with only few things that affect the driving (like wipers). I have not had a chance to drive after the holiday software update (we are snowed in), so this is just some thoughts after reading this thread. How about:
(1). have two separate UIs, one for driving (with big assed fonts for necessary info and only few controls needed while driving) and one when the car is parked (all options).
(2). There should be a beta period for the UI change (for owners who want to participate) to get feedback.

Reactions: b.noing and rjpjnk
I picked up my MYLR on the afternoon of 12/26 and installed the update 12/27. For me, it seems completely fine and normal. The functionality folks are complaining about, primarily having to do an additional swipe or 2 clicks to find so ething seem minor to me. It’s all a matter of getting accustomed to change. I’m actually surprised Tesla owners who tend to be first adopters are so upset by the software update!
Well said by a Bay Area driver, where defrost and seat heaters aren't a matter of multiple daily use. Come to the midwest where windshields fog up and I can't waste time on more than one tap to ensure my safety.

Reactions: e645824 and kc1953
Well said by a Bay Area driver, where defrost and seat heaters aren't a matter of multiple daily use. Come to the midwest where windshields fog up and I can't waste time on more than one tap to ensure my safety.
The defroster is easy to find. Just swipe up from bottom of screen where temp setting/readout is. You’ll find all heating controls there. And wouldn’t you want to turn the defrosters on before you start driving?

The defroster is easy to find. Just swipe up from bottom of screen where temp setting/readout is. You’ll find all heating controls there. And wouldn’t you want to turn the defrosters on before you start driving?
You're missing the point. Defrost needs to be one tap. Find me ANY OTHER CAR where it takes more than one button press. This one is well understood. I don't want to tap/swipe, then look at the screen a second time, tap the button, and then tap/swipe to close. That's way too much distraction for something that's commonly used.

And if it makes sense to turn on defrost when starting to drive, yes. But guess what? There's also this little thing called "changing conditions"...

I get it. You don't need it on that regular of a basis. It takes up space for you. So it can be a customizable icon in their new "dock", fine. But as it stands, everything they took out from the bottom bar, you can't add back. That's the worst form of customizability ever.

You’ll find all heating controls there.
Yes, you've made his (her?) point -- you'll find them there, and have to look at the screen to find them. Without tactile buttons to hit, the number of times we need to look at the screen for common and frequently used things should be minimal and fast. Ditto for answering and hanging up the phone. (And yes, starting the trip with defoggers working is great, until it's defogged and they turn themselves off......but the temperature differential changes later, and you'll need to turn them back on.)

More like, every update is designed to push us more toward FSD. (And that's not a good thing, IMO.)
You're missing the point. Defrost needs to be one tap. Find me ANY OTHER CAR where it takes more than one button press. This one is well understood. I don't want to tap/swipe, then look at the screen a second time, tap the button, and then tap/swipe to close. That's way too much distraction for something that's commonly used.

And if it makes sense to turn on defrost when starting to drive, yes. But guess what? There's also this little thing called "changing conditions"...

I get it. You don't need it on that regular of a basis. It takes up space for you. So it can be a customizable icon in their new "dock", fine. But as it stands, everything they took out from the bottom bar, you can't add back. That's the worst form of customizability ever.
Ok…I give…you are right. The update is horrible. I think I will blow up my brand new MYLR that I waited4 1/2 months for in protest of the unfairness of it all!

Defrost and heat seaters need to move back to the main UI. This change was a serious hit to safety while driving here in the East, where I may turn on/off both several times during a trip. Stop engineering cars for California, and start allowing at a minimum UI customization for people who live in other climates.
Hey! We need them here too haha, maybe not as much, but yes I use it daily these days.