Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost every hardware store has a little section of BLIND SPOT mirrors, those little round or oval shaped convex mirrors that stick onto the outside rear-view mirror. If you have trouble checking your blind spot, you need one of these little devices.

The only gripe I have is that people put the little mirror in the upper outer edge of their mirror, blocking the reflection behind them, while a third of the mirror image is of their car. PUT THE MIRROR over the reflection of your car!!! Then you can see the traffic behind you AND the car in your blind spot.

If a third of your mirror image is your car; you are adjusting the mirrors wrong. You need to mirrors to see other cars, not your car.

If a third of your mirror image is your car; you are adjusting the mirrors wrong. You need to mirrors to see other cars, not your car.
Yes. I have my mirrors adjusted far away, actually. That eliminates the blind spots, in my experience.

Ive tried to get the mirrors to be that way for my wife’s profile, but of course, she hates that, and has them showing a bit of the car. 😌 Good thing there are driver profiles.

I was taught "mirror, signal, mirror, maneuver" essentially it's the carpenter's "measure twice, cut once" analogy. But given the blind spot issues with our Tesla's mirrors (even properly adjusted" I do this - "mirror, LOOK, signal, mirror, LOOK, maneuver". And the camera images at night and in the rain are useless as is the associated flashing turn signal the wipes out 1/3 of the image.
Yes I agree (I was noting that the ordering was wrong, not the total sequence). In fact, I check ALL my mirrors, then signal, then check AGAIN, including, if necessary, a glance over shoulder to check blind spot. .. which I can now do rather more comfortably and safely thanks to the blind spot cameras :)

Reactions: WhiteWi
You guys do realize that getting NHTSA involved will ultimately lead to every release needin approval, right?
Not really. But when there is driving safety concern (destruction from driving) - I would think thrice. Cell phone use is an offence. But trying not to get toasted by seat heating or blown away with HVAC - takes quite an efforts on searching what to do on the [safe] screen. Instead of long gone and non-cool physical controls. And government regulations might be involved to some cool decisions, made on a scrum meeting at 8 in the mourning.

I think that part of the confusion about the defroster is the difference between defrosting (removing ice/frost on the outside of the windshield) and defogging (removing fog from the inside of the windshield). I live in Central California; I don't have a defrosting problem but I definitely have a defogging problem in the winter. The whole window can fog-up in a matter of seconds while driving depending on conditions (going from clear to foggy in seconds after several minutes of driving). And since it is on the inside, the windshield wipers don't help. So I need 1-press to activate massively hot defogging.

One thing that I have hated about all of my previous cars (1977 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, 2006 Infiniti M35) is that I couldn't heat the windshield without heating the passenger compartment also. Duh... With my Tesla Model Y, there is the potential to actually do this. So once this feature works and is 1-touch, then I'll be extremely happy.

And I think my last point is valid for all of us: there are features that we as individuals care passionately about and others that we as individuals can totally ignore. So at some point, Tesla will probably enable us to put the buttons that we want at the bottom of the screen. Unlike all other vehicles, Tesla's reliance solely on a totally programmable interface (touch screen) allows for this and is unique in the automotive industry.

So I'm very excited about the possibility that V11 could enable, and am just awaiting the activation.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I think that part of the confusion about the defroster is the difference between defrosting (removing ice/frost on the outside of the windshield) and defogging (removing fog from the inside of the windshield). I live in Central California; I don't have a defrosting problem but I definitely have a defogging problem in the winter. The whole window can fog-up in a matter of seconds while driving depending on conditions (going from clear to foggy in seconds after several minutes of driving). And since it is on the inside, the windshield wipers don't help. So I need 1-press to activate massively hot defogging.

One thing that I have hated about all of my previous cars (1977 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, 2006 Infiniti M35) is that I couldn't heat the windshield without heating the passenger compartment also. Duh... With my Tesla Model Y, there is the potential to actually do this. So once this feature works and is 1-touch, then I'll be extremely happy.

And I think my last point is valid for all of us: there are features that we as individuals care passionately about and others that we as individuals can totally ignore. So at some point, Tesla will probably enable us to put the buttons that we want at the bottom of the screen. Unlike all other vehicles, Tesla's reliance solely on a totally programmable interface (touch screen) allows for this and is unique in the automotive industry.

So I'm very excited about the possibility that V11 could enable, and am just awaiting the activation.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
I live in SoCal, so needing defrosting or defogging is extremely rare. For those that use defogging, suggest you try the voice command to see if that will turn it on with one push: "Enable front defroster." Good luck.