Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that part of the confusion about the defroster is the difference between defrosting (removing ice/frost on the outside of the windshield) and defogging (removing fog from the inside of the windshield). I live in Central California; I don't have a defrosting problem but I definitely have a defogging problem in the winter. The whole window can fog-up in a matter of seconds while driving depending on conditions (going from clear to foggy in seconds after several minutes of driving). And since it is on the inside, the windshield wipers don't help. So I need 1-press to activate massively hot defogging.

One thing that I have hated about all of my previous cars (1977 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, 2006 Infiniti M35) is that I couldn't heat the windshield without heating the passenger compartment also. Duh... With my Tesla Model Y, there is the potential to actually do this. So once this feature works and is 1-touch, then I'll be extremely happy.

And I think my last point is valid for all of us: there are features that we as individuals care passionately about and others that we as individuals can totally ignore. So at some point, Tesla will probably enable us to put the buttons that we want at the bottom of the screen. Unlike all other vehicles, Tesla's reliance solely on a totally programmable interface (touch screen) allows for this and is unique in the automotive industry.

So I'm very excited about the possibility that V11 could enable, and am just awaiting the activation.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
If they had made the interface so you could truly customize it then people wouldn’t have been so mad. As it is they took a ton of stuff away just to make it look ‘clean,’ but mainly succeeded in making it harder and more confusing to use. I’m hoping they’ll either add stuff bCk or at least improve the customization options so we can add it back.

Reactions: rjpjnk
After more time with the update, I’m liking it more and more. I was already fine with the changes and it didn’t take long to find everything I wanted. Sure, I miss the efficiency and PSI cards but found a few other improvements that I do appreciate:

1. While backing out of the garage, if I turn on climate while in reverse the climate options no longer disable/replace the backup cameras. Nice!

2. When I set a new navigation destination it remembers my preferred routing style and stays zoomed in. Previous software versions kept defaulting to zoomed out and I always had to press the compass a few times or slide the route list up to force direction of travel as always up/forward.

Gripes about something so minuscule.
A good part of the driving experience is determined by access to features and functions of the car. Things like the size of text in voice messages, voice commands now missing, the lack of a permanent display of tire pressure and odometer are to me not minuscule.These were features I used everyday and are now missing or degraded (like the text message location and font size).

Removing the seat heater buttons from the toolbar and replacing them with a games button (just one example) shows a lack of interest in the driver of the car.

Tesla engineers ought to be thinking about how their UI can help the driver drive and be safer and not how they can turn a car into a video game console.

That said, there are some good new driver features in the latest update, such as these:
“1. While backing out of the garage, if I turn on climate while in reverse the climate options no longer disable/replace the backup cameras. Nice! 2. When I set a new navigation destination it remembers my preferred routing style and stays zoomed in. Previous software versions kept defaulting to zoomed out and I always had to press the compass a few times or slide the route list up to force direction of travel as always up/forward.”

Keep the new features and dump the new UI. That would be progress.

I picked up my MYLR on the afternoon of 12/26 and installed the update 12/27. For me, it seems completely fine and normal. The functionality folks are complaining about, primarily having to do an additional swipe or 2 clicks to find so ething seem minor to me. It’s all a matter of getting accustomed to change. I’m actually surprised Tesla owners who tend to be first adopters are so upset by the software update!
Then ya don’t know what you’re missing, and you’re missing ALOT.
A polished, genius, intuitive and attractive driver focused layout has been replaced by the absolute opposite.

A good part of the driving experience is determined by access to features and functions of the car. Things like the size of text in voice messages, voice commands now missing, the lack of a permanent display of tire pressure and odometer are to me not minuscule.These were features I used everyday and are now missing or degraded (like the text message location and font size).

Removing the seat heater buttons from the toolbar and replacing them with a games button (just one example) shows a lack of interest in the driver of the car.

Tesla engineers ought to be thinking about how their UI can help the driver drive and be safer and not how they can turn a car into a video game console.

That said, there are some good new driver features in the latest update, such as these:
“1. While backing out of the garage, if I turn on climate while in reverse the climate options no longer disable/replace the backup cameras. Nice! 2. When I set a new navigation destination it remembers my preferred routing style and stays zoomed in. Previous software versions kept defaulting to zoomed out and I always had to press the compass a few times or slide the route list up to force direction of travel as always up/forward.”

Keep the new features and dump the new UI. That would be progress.
This. Exactly!

I wish they’d spent half as much time thinking about how people use the interface as they did adding new games.

Like I’ve said before - I‘m perfectly capable of learning the new interface but the fact that virtually everything I do is now more difficult to access and/or more involved and the fact that it takes as much effort as it does to learn speaks to the utter failure of the design. Like @WindPower said, you get to experience this every time you drive the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vin_L
Also people who are advocating for snitching to government are big time Karens. Get a life!
its clear which 'side' of the aisle you sit on, but aside from that what recourse do regular people have when big corps do big nasty things and think that might makes right and 'users will just take what they're given' ?

the gov exists, in part, because of human nature. power breeds abuse and tesla is the poster child for when power goes to one's head.

Have you tried the automatic feature? There appears to be a move t remove clutter where an automatic feature is available.
1) Auto seat heaters only work if HVAC is also on and set to auto — often folks want seat heat but not cabin heat (or have HVAC on manual settings, which I basically do all winter long).
2) The auto function has no concept of how much heat you want. This varies both by person and by how the individual is feeling at the moment. It's not reasonable for the computer to accurately guess what is needed for seat heat. Example: my wife always has her setting one notch higher than I. Thus, logically, the auto system will always have it wrong for at least one of us.

This is a solution in search of a problem.

Also people who are advocating for snitching to government are big time Karens. Get a life!
Literally this is only happening because Tesla provides no other avenue for feedback. There's no "contact us" form on their site, or "report an issue" feature in the car software*. This seems to be the only recourse. (Note: I am not one of them — just reporting back what I've been observing).

* - because someone is going to say it, "bug report" no longer provides any actual feedback to Tesla, so this is not an option.

This is baffling indeed. Why can we add games and entertainment to the app tray but not seat heaters?

Hopefully next update...
I haven't actually used the new UI, but in this instance, to me the grouping logic seems sound to me. The games & entertainment app icons should be at the equivalent "level" as the climate control icon. You hit the games icon then access a particular game, similar to hitting the climate button (or swiping up), then accessing the heated seat button. The seat heater and Sonic the Hedgehog game would be considered at the same "level". In this case Tesla does prioritize climate controls since it has a permanent place on the tray, where the games icon is customizable.

I'm not saying it's the best way of doing things or anything, but at least logically speaking, I can follow what they're doing here.

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
When I set a new navigation destination it remembers my preferred routing style and stays zoomed in. Previous software versions kept defaulting to zoomed out and I always had to press the compass a few times or slide the route list up to force direction of travel as always up/forward.
Yeah, but now the nav system no longer uses two different zoom levels for highway vs. city driving. I loved how it automatically zoomed out further when I got on the highway/interstate, and then back in when I exited. Awesome for seeing pertinent traffic area. Now it stays at one zoom level, and to add insult to injury, they removed the zoom +/- buttons. (And don't tell me to pinch to zoom — this is much harder when driving, and is highly likely to also result in the map no longer tracking the car/heading, requiring extra steps to resolve.)

I haven't actually used the new UI, but in this instance, to me the grouping logic seems sound to me. The games & entertainment app icons should be at the equivalent "level" as the climate control icon. You hit the games icon then access a particular game, similar to hitting the climate button (or swiping up), then accessing the heated seat button. The seat heater and Sonic the Hedgehog game would be considered at the same "level". In this case Tesla does prioritize climate controls since it has a permanent place on the tray, where the games icon is customizable.

I'm not saying it's the best way of doing things or anything, but at least logically speaking, I can follow what they're doing here.
With that logic, it doesn't fit that they gave individual icons for each audio source, though. Really, they just made the customizable area primarily about entertainment, phone, and non-driving functions (e.g. dashcam viewer).

Of course not, I’m just pointing out that people who are screaming that the world has ended are WAY over the top. Sure V11 needs work but even in its current state it’s better than the others I mentioned.

what do you think will get more traction with Tesla? screaming ‘”you guys are idiots this whole this is garbage!!!” Or “I really would like to see a way to turn on seat warmers from the main screen again” ???
Screaming. Definitely screaming. Followed by the constructive suggestions.