Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it that the HVAC Auto button changes from grey to blue to indicate "auto" mode is activated. Yet the "auto" seat heaters change from grey to a shade BRIGHTER GREY to indicate auto mode?

Wtf? Can we at least have some consistency FFS?
DON'T GET ME STARTED!

This type of inconsistency is infuriating. Apple does it all over the place. There's a secret hierarchy of primary, secondary and optional clickability that did not translate well to flat UI. They cannot sin and give a clickable button any kind of depth, because the gods of flat UI will cast them out. So we are left with color for some main stuff, and shades of grey for everything else.

There's a special place in hell for this, and we're living in it.

How is it hard to press arrow next to the temp number and lil pop up shows you defogger and other things. Yeah very unsafe lol.
Little advice try to explore new things before you start big claims of how it is unsafe and etc.
You're kidding, right??

First, that adjusts the temperature by one degree, so now I have to change it back to where it was. That's absurd.

Second, if I want to turn on seat heaters or rear defrost without also turning on HVAC, now I have to turn it off afterward. (This now applies to any method other than the unreliable voice controls.) That's also absurd.

Neither of these were issues in V10. So yes, doing several extra steps that take multiple glances at the screen and more brain processing absolutely make a previously simple task more complex and thus less safe while driving.

Last edited:
You're kidding, right??

First, that adjusts the temperature by one degree, so now I have to change it back to where it was. That's absurd.

Second, if I want to turn on seat heaters or rear defrost without also turning on HVAC, now I have to turn it off afterward. That's also absurd.

Neither of these were issues in V10. So yes, doing several extra steps that take multiple glances at the screen and more brain processing absolutely make a previously simple task more complex and thus less safe while driving.
You know what happened when you ran seat heaters without HVAC on after few minutes? People complaining about missing defog icon will be quick to tell you. Makes sense to turn on HVAC when you use seat heaters to prevent your windows from fogging up and making you car so unsafe 😂😉
Most of the complaining it seems just for the sake of complaining without understanding underlying conditions. Also as I said before we can use more apps in app drawer as well as removing recents and adding those two spaces for the custom icons/apps space.

You know what happened when you ran seat heaters without HVAC on after few minutes? People complaining about missing defog icon will be quick to tell you. Makes sense to turn on HVAC when you use seat heaters to prevent your windows from fogging up and making you car so unsafe 😂😉
Um... sometimes? Either way it doesn't make logical sense to design the UI this way.

Also, there are people that run seat heaters when it's not cold.

I still say they are quick and easy to access and you’re driving too fast if you can’t handle 1 second of eye contact off the road. That’s like saying checking your blind spot is dangerous because you have to turn your head over your shoulder. It literally takes a fraction of a second to turn on any of the “safety”
Features.
That's not really a winning argument. Any type of distraction should be minimized. So reasoning that you can make something simple take longer just because there are other things that take that long isn't helpful. You can't make a shoulder-check quicker. You can make a common control task as brief as possible.

People who drive a 60K+ self driving car complaining about having to hit their touch screens twice instead of one time to heat their buns? Wow
Dumb argument. Nobody has a self-driving car. Those with FSD beta have to keep MORE attention on the road these days. Autopilot on the highway -- sure -- but that's also only a portion of driving time. Gotta design the UI to work in any reasonable conditions.

If you set your ac to auto you almost never will need to press defog!
Come drive over some passes with me in winter, and you'll see that "almost never" is exactly when you need it to be easy to turn on the defogger. Coming back from Astoria last weekend I had to override Auto to defog three times...with icy snow just outside the travel lane. So yeah, it needs to be easy.

Dumb argument. Nobody has a self-driving car. Those with FSD beta have to keep MORE attention on the road these days. Autopilot on the highway -- sure -- but that's also only a portion of driving time. Gotta design the UI to work in any reasonable conditions.
When over 50% of my commute is on autopilot where the car drives itself your point is dumb. People sound very privileged complaining about having to hit two buttons rather than one for there heated seats. There are people that can’t afford cars. There are many that own cars with out heated seats. You have it good, enjoy what you have.

You have the option, do no connect to wifi. You will be notified an update is available but will not be able to download it. Then you can read all about it and see it in action before you choose to connect to WiFi and download it.
eventually it will come down over LTE though. Also, your warranty can be affected if you don't stay up to date.

I left my car on an old SW version forever because I don't have FSD but really liked the green light chime. It took a few months, but eventually a newer sw version came to the car through LTE (I never connected it to wifi). I kept ignoring the update until one came out with something I wanted (live sentry cam) and I eventually relented.

When over 50% of my commute is on autopilot where the car drives itself your point is dumb. People sound very privileged complaining about having to hit two buttons rather than one for there heated seats. There are people that can’t afford cars. There are many that own cars with out heated seats. You have it good, enjoy what you have.
Fine. Find me any other car with heated seats that takes more than one button press.

I'll wait.

You're kidding, right??

Second, if I want to turn on seat heaters or rear defrost without also turning on HVAC, now I have to turn it off afterward. (This now applies to any method other than the unreliable voice controls.) That's also absurd.

I agree with you 100%. We should have one-touch access to the front defroster, rear defroster, and seated heats. At least make these customizable for people that want them on the bottom. Turning the HVAC on just for heated seats is wasting energy. In the owner manual, it states "Use seat heaters to keep warm. Seat heaters use less energy than the cabin heater. Lowering the cabin temperature and using seat heaters reduces energy consumption" Now we have to turn on the HVAC, and then enable heated seats, and then turn off HVAC. I have found that once doing this, the seated heats will remain on. Of course for this to work, auto climate needs to be disabled. If I want to turn off the heated seats, I have to repeat the same process. It should not be that complicated.

Reactions: Jimt29 and gt2690b
I think hyperbole safety claims aside we all agree that we want more function buttons for app drawer and at least two more icon spaces on the button screen instead of recents.
Yup, I said it a couple of times, but I think that being able to completely customize the launcher with 6 or 8 items with seat heaters and defoggers being options would probably fix a lot of the current complaints (besides the trip cards, which I personally loved).
Maybe if this is such a major no no for you then Tesla is not the right fit for you just maybe.
But it was until 2 weeks ago though…

I agree with you 100%. We should have one-touch access to the front defroster, rear defroster, and seated heats. At least make these customizable for people that want them on the bottom. Turning the HVAC on just for heated seats is wasting energy. In the owner manual, it states "Use seat heaters to keep warm. Seat heaters use less energy than the cabin heater. Lowering the cabin temperature and using seat heaters reduces energy consumption" Now we have to turn on the HVAC, and then enable heated seats, and then turn off HVAC. I have found that once doing this, the seated heats will remain on. Of course for this to work, auto climate needs to be disabled. If I want to turn off the heated seats, I have to repeat the same process. It should not be that complicated.
<sigh> Or you could push one button - scroll wheel, actually - and say 'Seat heaters on' without taking your eyes off the road at all. And you can turn them on individually, at any of the heat settings, the same way. I know it would be great to have them back (or customizable) on the launch bar, but it's so simple to just use voice commands. Not sure whether this works with defogger, but the heated seats seems to be a big issue for people.

I figured the inconsistent use of shades or gray vs blue was just a bug and would be fixed soon. Hope so anyway.
I do not recommend reading about UI theory, and trying to stay as up to date as possible. It will make you insane. I have to, since I design hardware that sometimes has to play nice with UI designs. Counting the days (years? decade?) until I can retire, it sucks. Most of the decisions are driven by fads started by the famous companies (mostly Apple, Tesla and MS), and are made by 20 something stylists, with no idea what human factors really is.

If you think any of this is really rigorously tested in the lab, lol. It's a bunch of kids cocking their head sideways and arguing about pantone colors. Critical function? Only after it bites them in the ass.

Luckily I don't work with UI that have such critical safety implications. We just frustrate the hell out of our customers, but not much chance of killing them.