Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<sigh> Or you could push one button - scroll wheel, actually - and say 'Seat heaters on' without taking your eyes off the road at all. And you can turn them on individually, at any of the heat settings, the same way. I know it would be great to have them back (or customizable) on the launch bar, but it's so simple to just use voice commands. Not sure whether this works with defogger, but the heated seats seems to be a big issue for people.
I also don’t understand all the big hooplas about turning on wipers. Press the stalk and the wiper card comes up or just use voice command.

I agree with you 100%. We should have one-touch access to the front defroster, rear defroster, and seated heats. At least make these customizable for people that want them on the bottom. Turning the HVAC on just for heated seats is wasting energy. In the owner manual, it states "Use seat heaters to keep warm. Seat heaters use less energy than the cabin heater. Lowering the cabin temperature and using seat heaters reduces energy consumption" Now we have to turn on the HVAC, and then enable heated seats, and then turn off HVAC. I have found that once doing this, the seated heats will remain on. Of course for this to work, auto climate needs to be disabled. If I want to turn off the heated seats, I have to repeat the same process. It should not be that complicated.
Agree the UI sucks for the HVAC.. it sucks so bad peoples work-around to turn on the seat heaters is to not use the UI at all (use voice control) and they still defend the UI even though they are not even using it lol ... also i usually just pull my phone out and use the app.. i often use the seat heaters with no heater its dry, cold, and sunny in CO we dont typically fog up our windows

complaints are the impetus to change. without them the world will stay unchanged. it's funny to hear some argue that just because we're driving a car that's more expensive than some other less fortunate people, somehow we lost our privilege to complain. whether a UI is well designed, and if there are ways to improve it, is entirely irrelevant to how rich or poor we are. if the HVAC and seat heaters are inherently independent, then there is no reason to design a UI (or rather worse, change it to) that forces the two to be dependent. It's just common sense.

where i live (in central FL) winter will get to around 50-60F. occasionally i want to turn on the seat heater but i never need heat in climate control. the reason is simple: i wear enough to not feel cold, but my butt and thigh are the only parts that touch the car other than my hands. if you've learned physics, you know conduction is faster than convection. so for me, having to turn on climate just to activate seat heater and then having to long-press to turn off climate is just for a lack of a better word, dumb. it's just like having to unbuckle your belt, unzip your flies, and pull your pants down before you fart, and then redo your pants, zipper and belt.

of course, i love my model y more than all of my previous cars combined. it has sooo many good designs that are radically new and industry-changing. i can appreciate them at the same time as i complain about the bad ones. it's not one or the other.

<sigh> Or you could push one button - scroll wheel, actually - and say 'Seat heaters on' without taking your eyes off the road at all. And you can turn them on individually, at any of the heat settings, the same way. I know it would be great to have them back (or customizable) on the launch bar, but it's so simple to just use voice commands. Not sure whether this works with defogger, but the heated seats seems to be a big issue for people.
Update - 'turn front defroster on' and 'turn rear defroster on' are both valid voice commands.

I haven't had my car for a while, so I couldn't check this out for myself, but I'm curious if the HVAC controls could be accessed by swiping up from anywhere on the bottom edge of the screen? If that's the case, even though it is an extra step, at least you shouldn't have to take your eyes off the road when doing a quick swipe up on the screen before looking at the screen to hit heated seats, defrost, etc, right?

Reactions: WhiteWi
I haven't had my car for a while, so I couldn't check this out for myself, but I'm curious if the HVAC controls could be accessed by swiping up from anywhere on the bottom edge of the screen? If that's the case, even though it is an extra step, at least you shouldn't have to take your eyes off the road when doing a quick swipe up on the screen before looking at the screen to hit heated seats, defrost, etc, right?
sure.. swipe up.. then look for heated seats.. then turn off HVAC.. a mere 3 step process

Update - 'turn front defroster on' and 'turn rear defroster on' are both valid voice commands.
Yes, those do work for me as well. When I tried it with seat heaters, "turn on seat heaters", it turned all heaters on even though I'm the only one in the car. I'll need to say "turn on driver's seat heater" to only activate the driver seat. It also defaults to High setting, which makes sense. But if after initial warming I want to keep it at a low setting, I'll have to say something like "change driver's seat heater to low", which took several tries before finding the combination of words that works.

update sucks more or less.
1. Need to be able to add the front seat heater to the bar( have to use voice command or 3 unsafe while driving steps now)
2. some fonts too small now(text messages mainly, but the MPH could be much bigger)
3. Charging doesnt show speed now, have to check app????

The goods
1. the charging option on map is nice
It does look on the top left side of your screen for charging speeds and etc.

<bigger sigh>
Voice commands don't always work on the first try.
Voice commands don't work at all when there's no connectivity.
Voice command reliability goes way down when front defrost is on high (too much background noise).
I don't want to disrupt a conversation with another passenger in order to talk to the car.
You can't reliably use voice commands with a screaming kid in the car.
I don't want to disrupt my music in order to talk to the car.
Voice commands are not a substitute for a poorly (re)designed UI.

Why do people keep suggesting this?

<bigger sigh>
Voice command reliability goes way down when front defrost is on high (too much background noise).
I don't want to disrupt a conversation with another passenger in order to talk to the car.

Because when it works, you can keep your eyes on the road and it does work most of the time. I agree Tesla voice recognizance is not great, but this should be the way to go and Tesla will improve it. Amazon, Google all have better voice assistant, so the technology is there.

Because they imagine it will all be fixed soon. Like FSD in the city.
Because they imagine that people that differ from them are are lazy, stupid, lazy & stupid or troglodytes.

Nearly all the reasonable concerns are ignored or discounted as irrelevant whining and people who raise them are hysterical exaggerators even though we paid our dues to be in the Tesla club too. Fortunately for all of us this forum supports ignoring members.

Because when it works, you can keep your eyes on the road and it does work most of the time.
I used to use a set of voice commands but they're all broken in V11 -- most importantly the wipers -- so while you may find Voice works most of the time I find that it fails most of the time. That doesn't make me a lesser person. It's also incredibly poor form that the voice commands aren't documented. And it's lazy that the commands aren't processed in the vehicle given that the command domain is so small.

Because when it works, you can keep your eyes on the road and it does work most of the time. I agree Tesla voice recognizance is not great, but this should be the way to go and Tesla will improve it. Amazon, Google all have better voice assistant, so the technology is there.
Why do I have to interrupt my music, or my conversation, to turn my seat heater on/off or put on my windshield wipers?? That's ridiculous. This is a solution to a problem that only exists because of Tesla's ego. No other car I've ever driven or sat in has this problem.

Why do I have to interrupt my music, or my conversation, to turn my seat heater on/off or put on my windshield wipers?? That's ridiculous. This is a solution to a problem that only exists because of Tesla's ego. No other car I've ever driven or sat in has this problem.
Great example of first world problems and me me me mentality “Why do I have to interrupt my music, or my conversation, to turn my seat heater on/off or put on my windshield wipers??”

I'll try that tonight, thanks
AEB7A301-8D52-4117-9E4A-D947E9C44C0F.jpeg

Like that

Great example of first world problems and me me me mentality “Why do I have to interrupt my music, or my conversation, to turn my seat heater on/off or put on my windshield wipers??”
Great look to have crappier seat heater switch UI than my 99 VW Golf, lol.

Next time you take your Subaru to the dealer for an oil change, they move the seat heater switches into the glove box, and don't tell you. Exactly what happened.

That's all we're talking about. Tesla is already behind the curve with no tactile switches, just to try to save money. They need to be better than expected in exchange for that. I'd argue that the airflow control instead of actual vents is a perfect execution of that. It's a moment of joy that makes the lack of physical vents something you don't even consider. It's so cool, everyone loves it, or says oh s___ they're just trolling everyone else with how cool that is.

I don't even want the seat heater switch back necessarily, if there's some substitute that's that level of cool and fun. IDK what that is, wow me.

<bigger sigh>

Because ppl are asking the wrong questions. If you say "I can't turn on the seat heaters without using three clicks" then of course people are going to point out that you can use voice commands. If you say "I would prefer to have one-click access to the seat heaters, with visual feedback if they are on/off" then you wont get (or should not get) voice command suggestions.