Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a fan of most of the changes made. I agree that allowing functions to be added the the bottom bar on the screen would fix many of the problems. Personally, perhaps because of age, I would like larger fonts, selection boxes and the Icons at the bottom of the screen. For instance the selection boxes that appear when the left stalk button is pushed for the wipers are pretty small and it takes me too much time to find and select what I need. Yes, I use Auto wipers but they don't always work all that well. Also some of those App Icons are smaller than those on my phone. Not a big deal but would be a welcome improvement for me.

Imagine if Samsung, LG, Sony, etc., could arbitrarily change the buttons on your TV remote…. Where every time you pick it up you don’t recognize it or can even use it. Volume and channel have swapped position, or maybe not even be there anymore in favor of voice command. Basic features are now automated to someone’s else’s idea of what’s preferred.
You gotta grab the manual, search the web, or screw around with it for an hour, just to change the TV channel.
You wouldn’t like it.
Thats what Tesla has done here.

The bottom line is V11 is horribly flawed and total crap.
V10 design and layout had it right. Build on that, don’t change it.

If they wanted to add customizable icons, fine, but don’t change what was previously there.
Voice command is fine. But don’t change the commands, as updates are made.
That’s just common sense.

I really don’t want to constantly relearn how to operate the functions , study the PDF owners manual again, or endlessly browse the forums to figure out pointless changes so I can enjoy all the feature of my new electric car
Just curious, if we look back will we find you opened V10 with open arms at the end of 2020? I remember the same types of posts relating to shrinking of the maps and moving the speedometer readout and all types of other things. Fact, any time there is change, some people will hate, some people will love it and some people will not care.

I'm not a fan of most of the changes made. I agree that allowing functions to be added the the bottom bar on the screen would fix many of the problems. Personally, perhaps because of age, I would like larger fonts, selection boxes and the Icons at the bottom of the screen. For instance the selection boxes that appear when the left stalk button is pushed for the wipers are pretty small and it takes me too much time to find and select what I need. Yes, I use Auto wipers but they don't always work all that well. Also some of those App Icons are smaller than those on my phone. Not a big deal but would be a welcome improvement for me.
Yeah I think they need to revisit some of the box sizes. For example, the buttons on quick controls to adjust steering wheel and wing mirrors (the ones to start this, not the ones in the resulting popup) are HUGE. Which makes no sense, especially as you shouldn't even be operating the steering wheel adjustment while driving. Overall, there seems to be a lack of an overall "guiding light" person who is making sure the Ui is coherent and well though out (to continue my example, the steering/wing mirror adjustments really belong in the badly-named Pedals Etc tab).

In some ways the new Holiday update has many improvements in choice, and AP is working much better.
We try to think of it as a new version of our car with every Tesla update... and sometimes changes make it bitter not better.
Bet on improvements to follow with new updates.

One thing I’ve noticed in my MY going hand in hand with the phenomenon of windows not fully closing after the light show is that my rear right passenger window makes a slamming sound when it sures itself tight after I get in the car and close my door. I would say it happens every other day. I believe it’s a feature that the windows slightly open to make it easier to open the doors, right?? Anyhow I never had that problem before the update. I am now on 2021.44.30 and it still hasn’t corrected itself. I hope the window or the window motor don’t wear out prematurely because of this!

One thing I’ve noticed in my MY going hand in hand with the phenomenon of windows not fully closing after the light show is that my rear right passenger window makes a slamming sound when it sures itself tight after I get in the car and close my door. I would say it happens every other day. I believe it’s a feature that the windows slightly open to make it easier to open the doors, right?? Anyhow I never had that problem before the update. I am now on 2021.44.30 and it still hasn’t corrected itself. I hope the window or the window motor don’t wear out prematurely because of this!
its a new feature (really) to help stop the windows freezing up in the cold. The car will do that when outside temp is below 40F (I think that's the right temp).

• Informative
Reactions: Trip McNealy
If it's far from perfect, then don't release it.

Next oil change on your Subaru includes an update that moves the seat heater switches into the glove box. No warning.

You would be livid, and make them put it back before driving it home.
Right...Because during an oil change they are going to tear apart your dash and glove box.

If they didn't realease updates as often, you'd be sitting here complaining about what is wrong with the current software and why it needs to be updated. If you don't want change, don't update. Simple. Really. It's like, if you don't want the color of your car to change, don't take it in to get painted.

You draw conclusions from the sample you have, even if it's not perfect.
Did I miss the thread about how great the holiday update is? Oh wait, there isn't one because people who are happy with it aren't going to take the time to come on here and post about it. People only complain here to complain or ask questions. You dont see people on here every day saying, "i had a great drive to work today, my car had the right icons in the right place and it was so easy to shift from P to D and then signal my turn and then park and shift back to P." People come here to vent and complain so they is already data skewed to one side and even moreso, you are saying everybody who owns a Tesla posts online. Very unlikely.

I'll be different. I actually like v11 overall myself. I like the direction its going towards. Is it perfect, no. neither is Windows 11, Neither is E-Mach, the list goes on and on. That's is the sole reason we have OTA's to give us updates, and changes items, make things better. What is good for one isn't good enough "perfect" for another. So much to like about this update...

1. Waypoints which people were saying for last few years was the most craziest, stupidest thing ever to be imagined that Tesla didn't have.
2. Customizable tray, the concept and the ability to do this is a great idea and loving it.
3. Editing Waypoint's at first they only had just Waypoints (Model S/X) but they made it editable, major points in there favor.
4. It appears that AP has made some great improvements. Less phantom braking (in my car)
5. Expanded driving visualization (drag the window to make the map smaller (if you want to)
6. Blind spot camera view. Owners screamed and screamed, may not be perfect, but I had nothing at all 2 months ago!
7. Subwoofer control, you can now edit your subwoofer.
8. A reorganization of the controls in the menus. Needed to be done, v9, v10 added a lot and some seemed to be random, and this moved items together in a logical order (maybe)

That's just some. Why people don't come on and say they love it? because then they get slammed for how dare they say that. Its like todays culture.. you don't believe what others then you get ridiculed, slammed and told you don't know what your talking about.

Sure v11 needs some rethinking and reworking. But I actually like it. I have no issue with the heated seats, and I live in Ohio, where its cold. Doesn't hurt my feelings to swipe up and click the heated seat. Others it does, I am fine with that, to each and his own. But the sky is not falling, the world is not ending. No other car can change this much, just like that... for the good or the bad.....

Last edited:
6. Blind spot camera view. Owners screamed and screamed, may not be perfect, but I had nothing at all 2 months ago!

The blind spot camera view is something I really wanted and I really like it. It eliminates anxiety when changing lanes.

I remember people speculating it couldn't be done because of the flashing, co-located blinkers. Well, they did it and it works great.

Did I miss the thread about how great the holiday update is? Oh wait, there isn't one because people who are happy with it aren't going to take the time to come on here and post about it. People only complain here to complain or ask questions. You dont see people on here every day saying, "i had a great drive to work today, my car had the right icons in the right place and it was so easy to shift from P to D and then signal my turn and then park and shift back to P." People come here to vent and complain so they is already data skewed to one side and even moreso, you are saying everybody who owns a Tesla posts online. Very unlikely.
No, you didn’t miss it, because it doesn’t exist. It’s well known that there tends to be a negative bias, not just on forums but in many other areas. People are far more likely to complain about something bad than praise something good.

Countering that is the fact that for most releases there’s at least one thread here on TMC discussing the release and it’s not at all uncommon to see many people talking about the improvements made. Tesla is also somewhat like Apple in that there tend to be a fair number of ‘fanboys’ who would still defend the company even if the cars started to spontaneously combust.

Even taking these facts into account, I have not seen any previous software release (or anything else from Tesla, for that matter,) that has generated such overwhelming negative reactions. There are a couple of people trying to defend it and a handful of people saying “well, after I get used to it it’s no so bad,” but very few people saying “I love this update! It’s the best thing ever!”

I’ve also only seen one person (trying) to argue that it’s easier to use. The fact that the general responses amount to “the screen doesn’t have to be easy because you can use voice commands” or “the commands aren’t buried that deep, you can still get to them without much difficulty” is actually quite telling and just goes to show what’s wrong with this releases.

Last edited:
The blind spot camera view is something I really wanted and I really like it. It eliminates anxiety when changing lanes.

I remember people speculating it couldn't be done because of the flashing, co-located blinkers. Well, they did it and it works great.
You must have a very different experience. Mine is so awful at night from the blinker washing out the picture that I turned it off. Turn signal at night = flashing purple box on the screen, extremely distracting. I keep seeing this from a ton of people, though also some that say they don't seem to have the issue. There is obviously still work here to be done.

I find it mostly useless - the blinkers essentially blind the cameras at night. Some people like you seem to like the blind spot system, so at least it’s helpful to some. There are some flaws that Tesla can fix (position on the screen,) but others that are intrinsic to the hardware limitations, so there’s nothing Tesla can do without changing and adding hardware.

I would point out that if you have your mirrors adjusted properly you shouldn’t have a blind spot. This means that the driver’s side mirror is angled much further out than people typically set it. The way I adjust it is when I’m at a stoplight in a line of cars, I look in the rear view mirror and locate the last car to my left that I can see. I then angle the rear view mirror outwards so that car is just visible at the inside edge of the mirror. The other method I’ve read about is to put your head close to the window and angle the mirror so you can just see the side of your car.

Either way the mirror will now completely cover the blindspot and any car that is not visible in the mirror will be readily visible in your peripheral vision when you turn your head to look in the mirror.

You must have a very different experience. Mine is so awful at night from the blinker washing out the picture that I turned it off. Turn signal at night = flashing purple box on the screen, extremely distracting. I keep seeing this from a ton of people, though also some that say they don't seem to have the issue. There is obviously still work here to be done.
I suspect there are hardware differences in people’s blinker/camera assemblies. Mine is like yours but others’ seem not to have problems.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'll be different. I actually like v11 overall myself.... I am fine with that, to each and his own. But the sky is not falling, the world is not ending. No other car can change this much, just like that... for the good or the bad.....
Well, there are two of us. The more I use it the more I like it. It is an improvement. I completely enjoy this car.