Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove at night for the first time and am not experiencing any glare or issues from the blinkers with blind spot camera. Seems pretty clear to me.

725BD37B-DA75-425A-9209-BF927A58E8B6.jpeg

No problem with street lights it is little bit a annoying when it’s completely dark.

I went back out to a new part of the neighborhood under construction. It is pitch dark out there and no street lamps installed yet but I still found the blind spot camera usable without any interference from the blinkers. In case it was still not dark enough, I tested within my garage with the lights out and the blind spot camera is quite clear. I am not discounting what you and others have reported, but I can’t seem to reproduce the problem yet. Perhaps I should be happy about that.

29D35877-550F-450E-9BA7-7C2434703121.jpeg
2649C539-F5B7-4E16-A51F-5C905F935E75.jpeg

I went back out to a new part of the neighborhood under construction. It is pitch dark out there and no street lamps installed yet but I still found the blind spot camera usable without any interference from the blinkers. In case it was still not dark enough, I tested within my garage with the lights out and the blind spot camera is quite clear. I am not discounting what you and others have reported, but I can’t seem to reproduce the problem yet. Perhaps I should be happy about that.

View attachment 753292View attachment 753293
I know it is usable. Some people love to claim all kind of funny stuff. Oh well.

I confirmed you can swipe up anywhere from the bottom bar and have access to full controls. You can do this without looking at the screen. Hopefully that settles this BS debate about the defrosters. 🙄😂

It’s a solid update. With tweaks, I’ll be perfection.
Just tried it. Nice. I am definitely liking v11 more and more. Aside from all the UI stuff, it seems AP/TACC is working better too. I wonder what they tweaked? Following distance is better controlled whereas it used to come in too fast to stopped cars.

Perhaps Tesla should make the software upgrades like those from computer companies. On my MAC OS I can and do elect to not upgrade right away; I have the option. I sometimes wait 6mo to a year so I can avoid the initial bugs, waiting until they are fixed. That way the car stays the way it was when you evaluated it's features and bought it.
Someone on here suggested just shut off your Wi Fi but I'm not sure that works. I have a detached garage that had no reception so I had to run a cable out to it. I unplugged the cable but still had a software upgrade. Not sure how that happened.
You wired a cable to your car or to the garage? You probably just had an update notice, you still need wifi to download and install it. You will always get notified of updates via the built in connectivity (yellow download arrow in top menu bar). When you click on this it will say connect to wifi to download.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jimt29 and Big Earl
I confirmed you can swipe up anywhere from the bottom bar and have access to full controls. You can do this without looking at the screen. Hopefully that settles this BS debate about the defrosters. 🙄😂
No, we know that.
- You can no longer see defrost or front seat heater status at a glance.
- You can no longer toggle rear defrost or front seat heaters via the screen without turning on HVAC first, and then turning it off again if you didn't need it on. (Note this has always been the case for rear seat heaters, which was also kinda lame, but far less frequently accessed, so folks didn't care as much. Not to mention the much bigger problem with rear seat heaters is that rear occupants can't change it without asking someone up front...)

Pointless & dangerous imo. Why look at a centralised display when you’re changing lane, you should be looking in wing mirrors or over your shoulder.
Wouldn’t that make it even more safe? You still the have side mirrors and rear view mirror. Plus you have cameras that can see around your vehicle and lane UI that will notify you if you are making a lane change error. Most cars just have mirrors and maybe sensors.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t that make it even more safe? You still the have side mirrors and rear view mirror. Plus you have cameras that can see around your vehicle and lane UI that will notify you if you are making a lane change error. Most cars just have mirrors and maybe sensors.
How is not looking where you’re going safe? That’s why so many ppl fall over or walk into things while looking at their phones when walking lol. There again I’m an ex soldier I was taught to look at what you were targeting not the opposite direction🤷🏼‍♂️. Plus if it’s so much safer why does every other vehicle manufacturer led by Volvo (arguably the leaders in vehicle safety) put warnings in the wing mirrors?

Atten: Tman317
As I stated, I'm not sure that is true. I unplugged my WiFi cable going to my detached garage but still got an upgrade. When I check for Wi Fi with a phone app with the cable disconnected I get a notice indicating no WIFI is detected. So unsure how it got upgraded.
It probably downloaded via the cell connection. From what I remember only maps needed wifi not updates.

How is not looking where you’re going safe? That’s why so many ppl fall over or walk into things while looking at their phones when walking lol. There again I’m an ex soldier I was taught to look at what you were targeting not the opposite direction🤷🏼‍♂️. Plus if it’s so much safer why does every other vehicle manufacturer led by Volvo (arguably the leaders in vehicle safety) put warnings in the wing mirrors?
If looking at the screen is unsafe for you don’t look at it when changing lanes. The correct way to use it is to check the screen to see if the lane is clear first then you change lane Without looking at the screen. “you should be looking in wing mirrors or over your shoulder” This correct and with or without all of Teslas advanced safety you can always just use the mirrors only If that what works for you.

Last edited:
If looking at the screen is unsafe for you don’t look at it when changing lanes. The correct way to use it is to check the screen to see if the lane is clear first then you change lane Without looking at the screen. “you should be looking in wing mirrors or over your shoulder” This correct and with or without all of Teslas advanced safety you can always just use the mirrors only If that what works for you.
I always use my mirrors & look over my shoulder. Hence 30+yrs of accident free motoring. The (imo) dangerous camera function is turned off in my car having tried it!
As I said as an ex (UK) soldier we were taught, point aim and shoot ….. not spray n pray as in the movies. Any soldier on my ranges who didn’t follow the above plus keep his weapon pointed down the range at all times would’ve had his weapon taken off him and then been disciplined. As I also said, no other vehicle manufacturers use a centralised display for lane change warnings, there’s a reason for that (again IMO)😁