Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's fun banter back and forth about everyone's personal preferences. Just came across this (below) and there's a great point here...

"Just as it's wrong to remove seat heaters from the launcher, it's also wrong to keep them there permanently for everyone. For example, if you live in a year-round warm climate, why would you want seat heaters taking up two spots in the launcher?

The answer is to not only let users add seat heaters back to the launcher, but to add a variety of functions. It could be opening the glove box or initiating a voice command button for passenger use."

Probably the most reasonable solution all around. I would imagine most of you would agree...

All very true …… there again you don’t see any other manufacturer ripping buttons out of the dash willy nilly do you. They just have different options for different places🤔

It's fun banter back and forth about everyone's personal preferences. Just came across this (below) and there's a great point here...

"Just as it's wrong to remove seat heaters from the launcher, it's also wrong to keep them there permanently for everyone. For example, if you live in a year-round warm climate, why would you want seat heaters taking up two spots in the launcher?

The answer is to not only let users add seat heaters back to the launcher, but to add a variety of functions. It could be opening the glove box or initiating a voice command button for passenger use."

Probably the most reasonable solution all around. I would imagine most of you would agree...

Conceptually, I agree, but that's not what they did. They took out seat heater buttons and replaced them with... blank space.

Tesla could have avoided this whole mess by just finishing the damn customizable launcher before ever releasing it. One has to think it was rushed to release half-finished in order to get the light show out for Christmas :rolleyes:. The result: making cold-weather controls harder to get to at Christmas/wintertime was also a very timely slap in the face.

My MYP has been at a body shop since 12/3/21 and is finally ready for me to pick it up today. Looking at my phone app, I just noticed that it says version 2021.44.30. I wonder if the body shop got it updated or it updated itself while in service mode. I'm pretty sure as of yesterday it was still on 2021.36.8.

Anyway, I've been dying to try out V11, so it saves me the time to get it downloaded and installed, assuming it's really updated. I've been following this thread for a while now so I'm excited to see for myself how I feel about this update.

As @Xdama pointed out, what did you do with every other car you’ve owned? Have the service center remove the seat heater and defrost buttons?Here’s the critical flaw in that thinking - having the seat heaters and defroster on the bottom row before cost you nothing, unless just the sight of the seat heater icon was so offensive you had to avert your eyes, but removing it costs something for everyone else.

What everyone is pissed about is that some idiot engineer from Facebook took over the UI team at Tesla and decided that having blank space on the screen was more important than having controls that the majority of drivers used. Had they simply had an option to hide them then people would have been fine, but that’s not what they did. Unfortunately, I don’t have high hopes for Tesla really fixing this. Increasing the number of ‘apps’ that you can put in the app bar is probably the best we can hope for.

What’s baffling is that there is virtually nothing that’s better in V11. Every other upgrade I’ve downloaded has had incremental improvements. Once in a while there were a few things I didn’t like, but they were relatively minor. V10 was excellent and could have been made better with a few minor changes but instead we got V11. We went from a Tesla to a Fiat.

Anyway, I've been dying to try out V11
You’re not missing anything (Unless you think a light show or more games is what your car needs.)

Last edited:
While my MY was in the repair shop, they updated the software and now the screen has changed. The trip and odometer is no longer on the bottom left of the screen and apparently the only way to access it is by pressing a few buttons to bring up a separate screen. Not good! Also, when I used to tap the map screen, i could bring up the nearest superchargers, but it seems that feature is gone too. Has anyone figured out a work around or is there a way to configure the screen? Thanks

Reactions: whisperingshad
While my MY was in the repair shop, they updated the software and now the screen has changed. The trip and odometer is no longer on the bottom left of the screen and apparently the only way to access it is by pressing a few buttons to bring up a separate screen. Not good! Also, when I used to tap the map screen, i could bring up the nearest superchargers, but it seems that feature is gone too. Has anyone figured out a work around or is there a way to configure the screen? Thanks
Regarding the SCs, its in the search now. Click on the Navigate button and the option to show the SCs should be there. I was also super frustrated until I figured it out. #growingpains.

Reactions: Gadget63

Existing threads on TMC on this topic (of the software update). Not all inclusive:

You’re not missing anything (Unless you think a light show or more games is what your car needs.)
My car was indeed updated to V11 when I picked it up from the body shop. It was about an hour drive back with traffic, so I got to use the new interface a little bit. I will say while I think V11 definitely have some rough edges (most of which I knew about), my first impression is positive. Of course, I've been "training" myself on V11 operations for the past couple of weeks by reading threads like this and watching Youtube videos discussing V11, and I've been away from my car long enough that I don't remember everything from V10 anymore, so perhaps these things would make my transition to V11 smoother. I will of course live with it for a few days and probably post more thoughts here. But yeah, so far I'm definitely good with V11 after about an hour of seat time. (I haven't gotten around to the light show yet, of which I'm also quite excited to check out)

Existing threads on TMC on this topic (of the software update). Not all inclusive:

Thank you!

Reactions: Gadget63
A new question about something I hate in the new UI - wonder if anyone has a shortcut: I frequently want to change the view of my Nav screen from close view (the way I usually use it) to viewing the full route for a bit, and then back again.

Before, the options button (from N, to current direction, to full route) was available in the upper R of the screen. Now it seems it's in the upper L, but it is (like so many other things) buried in a second tap........I have to tap the screen to display that little icon, and then tap it again to cycle through what I want. Annoying and dangerous, because I can't hit that little icon without looking over at the screen.....I have to tap the map, then look over and locate the little icon quickly before it disappears, and then tap it twice (with my trembling fingers, in a moving car) without accidentally hitting the Navigate bar. Then, after I've viewed the whole route, I have to tap the screen again to bring up the icon which I have to look at quickly before it disappears, and then tap it again to bring up the closer view. And hope I don't hit the Navigate bar again to bring up the options to enter a new destination, because then I'd have to tap a part of the screen without it to make those go away, and then try it all again.

Does anyone know of a better or faster way to alternate between the different viewing options of the Nav screen?
You can drag down below the cancel button to show the entire route. It's not necessarily a better option as half the time you'll miss and cancel your route... But it's there.

. (I haven't gotten around to the light show yet, of which I'm also quite excited to check out)
I wouldn’t get too excited. You’ll watch it once, show to others a couple of times then forget about it lol. Pretty pointless tbf.
Mine operated different each of the 3-4 times I used it too. Sometimes opening windows sometimes not, made me think the code aint that robust.

The ”cards“ were such a snazzy, well conceived little feature. Aside from tire pressure and all the trip computers,
seat belts warnings showed the location of unbelted passengers and even allowed you to convert a warning to a child car-seat setting. Never overlapping anything else.
I loved that for my dog! Who is just heavy enough to set off the warning. The card would pop up, I’d tough his seat and make it a car seat. Done.
During a phone call, you had a card that showed all the pertinent info, and an option to bring up a touchstone pad. Text messages were the same. Cards were convenient, well place, never in the way.
I could have a ’since last charge‘ card up, the consumption screen screen and of course my battery % all at the same time and monitor/ calculate overall range stats without flipping around and digging.
With V11 I’d have to dig back and forth between full screens and sacrifice something.

Why invent ‘cards‘ and then steal them from us. Bring Back Cards! They were awesome.
I think I had as many as 5 cards on the slider at one time. It was cool.

Last edited:
Is this the dweeb that wrecked the best EV UI ever developed?
If so, looks like he only spent 6 months at Tesla and has already moved on. So who gets the blame ..?

Attachments

• 390C5941-4046-45DB-8A77-B523149BE137.png
    390C5941-4046-45DB-8A77-B523149BE137.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 73
  • D239319F-E7BE-4B84-AE6B-C3DB09891DAB.png
    D239319F-E7BE-4B84-AE6B-C3DB09891DAB.png
    457.9 KB · Views: 55
I loved that for my dog! Who is just heavy enough to set off the warning. The card would pop up, I’d tough his seat and make it a car seat. Done.
Even having the seat folded down with a suitcase there was enough to trigger the "no seat belt" warning -- I had to set all 3 back seat triggers to "child car seat" to disable them. And I've left them set that way for the last 5 months or so, regardless of how much cargo I have in the back.

Please never let me download or use a web browser that guy ever develops. 😆
If he was only there < 1 year, it's hard to believe he alone is responsible for the current UI debacle. Perhaps he never had any real control over the final product. At any large company like this there are lots of entrenched interests and power bases that work against a newcomer. Perhaps he left due to frustration with the direction of the UI and the inability to change it due to politics or other internal issues. We'll never really know, all we know is that the current UI is not good. Tesla mgmt is to blame for not insisting on better testing, getting broader outside feedback, and putting too many chefs in the design kitchen - the overall design lacks a cohesive theme or strong style guide.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
I wouldn’t get too excited. You’ll watch it once, show to others a couple of times then forget about it lol. Pretty pointless tbf.
Mine operated different each of the 3-4 times I used it too. Sometimes opening windows sometimes not, made me think the code aint that robust.
Haha, I knew the light show was going to be a short novelty thing, which is OK. It was fun to check it out last night. I also made 3 custom light shows while I was impatiently waiting for my car to get out of the body shop, so I was eager to see if my "creations" were any good. (they were ok, I think)