Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my pet peeves is the bar on the top that shows charging/discharging and dots when the regenerative braking is reduced is dark gray with a light gray background making it virtually impossible to see. Who thought of that? Granted it’s not a critical display, but if you’re going to put it up, at least make it visible.
Absolutely. This grey-font-on-light-background thingie began about a decade ago as a fashionable motif in web design. Apple uses it far too much on their support website, many others do the same. For me it’s pretty much unreadable. TMC does it as well; notice post signatures, time of posting, and the hotspots Like, Quote, and Reply. Apparently this is used so less important things (as defined solely by the developer, clearly not the users) are unobtrusive. Again for me, be obtrusive. If it’s there and I can see it, make it so I can read it too.

I think you bring up a good point but may need to consider the laws across 50 states regarding the requirements by each respective DMV to have a driver’s license. Certain vision requirements, etc. need to be satisfied first of course, but there is likely some options they could add from an accessibility standpoint that wouldn’t cross those lines.

Right, definitely not a critical display, I think the regen line is only there more as an FYI… turns green when actually regenerating the battery but gray when you’re accelerating/not regenerating so it’s less distracting to the driver.
There’s more than just 50 states that have Tesla you know lol. Difference is most other countries have a countrywide set of regulations not 50 different sets. That seems a bit archaic to most other places in the world. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That’s actually pretty good efficiency for towing. I’m probably getting something like that just driving in the winter. I used to have the trip odometer card up so I could easily see my Wh/mi but I can’t do that anymore.

Overall, I’ve seen steady, incremental improvements with FSD. The UI sucks, but V11 continued the FSD and TACC improvements, so at least we got something with it. :/
This was in high 30 to low 40 F as well.

THat's downright balmy! It's up to 16º F here now but was -5 (-20ºC) when I got up this morning. Regenerative braking is non-existent at that temperature and the heat pump struggles as well.
There’s a reason there are more songs about California than any other place in the world. #paradise (and not the city that burned down 😂 a few summers back)

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc

How could anyone at Tesla let this turd UI float to its loyal buyer’s cars ?

While my MY was in the repair shop, they updated the software and now the screen has changed. The trip and odometer is no longer on the bottom left of the screen and apparently the only way to access it is by pressing a few buttons to bring up a separate screen. Not good! Also, when I used to tap the map screen, i could bring up the nearest superchargers, but it seems that feature is gone too. Has anyone figured out a work around or is there a way to configure the screen? Thanks
its why I wont even take my car in for anything less than a major no-drive situation.

there are some things I'd want to get done, but I'm holding off. forever, essentially. my warranty ends in less than 2 years and once I get close to that (or maybe before, market dependant) the current tesla will get sold and that will be that. no more for me, thanks. had enough.

there's no way I can ensure my car wont be 'upgraded' if I take it in. major problem that tesla has zero interest in addressing.

showstopper. definition of a showstopper. I have avoided 2 major updates and my car does pretty well. took it out today and as I always do, enabled AP while on my highway trip and it didn't phantom brake once. cars (even some teslas, lol) darted out in front of me. nothing harsh, just gentle braking.

there are some highway curves that you cant' take faster than, say, 72; near the san jose airport, there's a twisty highway (twisty for our highway standards) and I always have to remove AP when taking the tightest curves. other than that, I have not had a bad braking situation for months, if not over a year, now.

this is one reason why I'm adamant about keeping the sw that I have. radar WORKS, dammit. at least in the bay area where there are a lot of teslas mapping the roads over and over. even overpass shadows dont cause braking. I'd give AP a B+ grade on the highway. that's really good; I bet the current vision cars would get a C- from me if I was feeling generous. and the current UI is a D-. not an F but really close to it.

its funny that due to the shutdowns down the last 2 years, I've had less than 10k miles on my 2019 m3. would be funny to sell it before it even gets to the 12k mile mark (that I used to consider the min I'd drive a year). still have the original tires on it. sad that it sat unused for most of the last 2 years (sigh) but we all had to go thru that, more or less.

just hoping nothing major occurs for the remainder of my ownership. really really dont want them to 'upgrade' me and I know its their policy to.

Its freakin insane that anyone that doesn't want this crap update has to literally become a fugitive. Avoiding Tesla SC's and Wifi networks. I had a SC guy tell me that if a Tesla car stays on their premises for more than a few minutes it will auto update because you are within the "GEO-FENCE", the Mothership.

.....Logan's Run.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
When I go to Controls/Service to see tire pressure, there are no tire pressure readings. Just a _ next to each tire. Any ideas on how to get pressures to show up? It’s like the TPMS system isn’t activated. It’s been this way since I got car three weeks ago.
Most tire pressure sensors turn off automatically and require the wheels to be in motion for a bit before they turn on again. Are you checking right as you get in the car? try checking when you get to your destination.

Of course, you're supposed to check the pressure when the tires are cold - another reason the card was so handy for the tire pressures.

When I go to Controls/Service to see tire pressure, there are no tire pressure readings. Just a _ next to each tire. Any ideas on how to get pressures to show up? It’s like the TPMS system isn’t activated. It’s been this way since I got car three weeks ago.
The sensors appear to have motion controlled switches. A tire rotation or two (i.e. just drive a short distance) will switch them on. If they aren't showing a service call is in order. At least that's how my 2022 works.

Should be required reading. I tried to get into the head of the writer but my bias toward previous version just let me down. This was a great article that had the ability to look at the latest update in a clear and unbiased way. Excellent!

Reactions: OxBrew
Should be required reading. I tried to get into the head of the writer but my bias toward previous version just let me down. This was a great article that had the ability to look at the latest update in a clear and unbiased way. Excellent!
I would disagree somewhat, though - With V10, most of the controls were readily visible. The only 'confusing' part was the cards. I readily admit that they were hidden, but they were the only thing that was hidden, weren't required for driving and once you learned they were there were easy to remember, easy to use and convenient. (the author also stated incorrectly that the wiper settings were in the cards - that may have been the case earlier, but they had changed it since then.=

With V11, they made the interface 'clean,' meaning they took everything off the main screen and buried it in a submenu. For common items (like what everyone is complaining about here,) that is absolutely not easier to learn.

I do fully agree - Tesla sacrificed usability with V11.

Regardless, Tesla should have a 'using the touch screen interface' video. Everyone who downloaded V11 got totally blindsided by it, including a coworker. Her car downloaded V11 overnight then she came out to her car at 5:45 the next morning to go to work and couldn't find the wipers or the defroster when she needed them on the highway. you can say "it's her obligation to learn it before she drives," but no one expects their car to be radically different when they get in to drive to work in the morning.