Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

holiday update and xbox controller via bluetooth not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I just got the holiday update installed and in the release notes it says bluetooth game controllers are now supported. However, I tried 2 different XBOX game contollers, including the latest XBOX Elite Series 2 controllers and the bluetooth does not seem to work. I can see the car recognizes the Xbox Elite 2 controller as it shows up in the bluetooth discovery process in the UI, but the blinking Xbox light never stops blinking to indicate a connection to the car. Anyone get an Xbox controller to work? My Model S LR is a November 2022 build.

thanks!

Reactions: jiehan
Hello All,

I just got the holiday update installed and in the release notes it says bluetooth game controllers are now supported. However, I tried 2 different XBOX game contollers, including the latest XBOX Elite Series 2 controllers and the bluetooth does not seem to work. I can see the car recognizes the Xbox Elite 2 controller as it shows up in the bluetooth discovery process in the UI, but the blinking Xbox light never stops blinking to indicate a connection to the car. Anyone get an Xbox controller to work? My Model S LR is a November 2022 build.

thanks!

Release notes say PS 4 or 5 are the preferred Bluetooth controllers. Then says, see the manual, nothing there but dead links.

On my May build 22 LR, downloaded Witcher, but have yet to play. Sure would like a BT controller, but have yet to find someone who has got it working...

So, I got Witcher to play over a wired x box.

Got a new Sony ps 5 compatible controller, but can't get it to connect over BT. Works fine when wired into the glovebox port .

Blue BT light only flashes for about 5 seconds.

Any Ideas what could be wrong?

I got the 8Bitdo Sn30 controller and it pairs correctly and works. I also ordered the 8Bitdo USB adapter that supports Xbox controllers, so I will see if my Xbox Elite controller will work with it.
Looking to get 2 compact Bluetooth Controllers for my 21 Plaid MS now that they are finally supposed to be supported.
Would you recommend this one?
Using the Jowua controller now. Wireless via dongles. No Bluetooth.

Is this the one you got to pair?

8Bitdo SN30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Controller with Joysticks Rumble Vibration USB-C Cable Gamepad Compatible with Switch,Windows, Mac OS, Android, Steam (Gray Edition) https://a.co/d/1CTKkHx

Anyone trying to pair a PS5 controller, make sure to follow these instructions.

To pair, you must start with the controller off (no lights at all). Then you press and hold the left "share" button (the little white button to the left of the touch pad with the 3 lines coming out of the top) and then press the PS button until the light bar blinks.

Then it is in pairing.

See here.

Reactions: aerodyne
Looking to get 2 compact Bluetooth Controllers for my 21 Plaid MS now that they are finally supposed to be supported.
Would you recommend this one?
Using the Jowua controller now. Wireless via dongles. No Bluetooth.

Is this the one you got to pair?

8Bitdo SN30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Controller with Joysticks Rumble Vibration USB-C Cable Gamepad Compatible with Switch,Windows, Mac OS, Android, Steam (Gray Edition) https://a.co/d/1CTKkHx
Yes, thats the one. However, I ended up returning it because it felt cheap just like the Jowua one. I'm getting PS5 controllers instead. For now, I'm using my XBOX Elite Series 2 connected via USB.

Reactions: Daniellane
Just played DOOM Eternal and Street Fighter V on my MS LR loading from my 512GB M.2 drive and no crashing or weird video artifacts, the games just work and are responsive. The loading times seem a bit long, but overall I'm impressed.

1671854042649.png

Same here. Looks like I need to buy some PS5 controllers.

I looked into the 8bitdo adapter, but the adapter can only connect to one controller so I would need one for every controller. The 8bitdo controllers was another option, but for the price, I decided to seriously consider the PS5 controllers.

Since PS5 controllers are on sale at all the major retailers for $50, I picked up a pair and they paired with the car immediately with no issues and just worked.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I have a 2023 Model Y and the cars sees the controller (PS5 dual sense) as a Bluetooth “Wireless Controller”, but it just spins and says “Adding Device” and fails (that is goes back to the Bluetooth screen without having added the controller).

What am I missing?

I have a 2023 Model Y and the cars sees the controller (PS5 dual sense) as a Bluetooth “Wireless Controller”, but it just spins and says “Adding Device” and fails (that is goes back to the Bluetooth screen without having added the controller).

What am I missing?

A new model S or X....😁

Per the release notes on 2022.44.3 and .5, these are the only cars that support wireless game controllers.

I looked into the 8bitdo adapter, but the adapter can only connect to one controller so I would need one for every controller. The 8bitdo controllers was another option, but for the price, I decided to seriously consider the PS5 controllers.

Since PS5 controllers are on sale at all the major retailers for $50, I picked up a pair and they paired with the car immediately with no issues and just worked.

The recent Tesla vid shows the same controller I bought (Sony Dual Sense wireless) being used by software engineers while playing Steam games.

However, I could not get the L/H button (Z) to work on Steam games. Coincidentally, the vid did not show it being used by the Tesla engineers....or maybe it does not work for them either...

The recent Tesla vid shows the same controller I bought (Sony Dual Sense wireless) being used by software engineers while playing Steam games.

However, I could not get the L/H button (Z) to work on Steam games. Coincidentally, the vid did not show it being used by the Tesla engineers....or maybe it does not work for them either...

Which left hand button? I think the left hand shoulder button and trigger works for me. Clicking the stick is something maybe I haven't had to use yet.

Which left hand button? I think the left hand shoulder button and trigger works for me. Clicking the stick is something maybe I haven't had to use yet.
The 4 way switch on the left.

Update...I was able to get it to work, and fix some other problems, by using the option to use V11 for "older PC's"

Really don't think that the holiday update is up to speed on Steam games.

Not hopeful it will be fixed anytime soon.

Also, confirmed I have to reboot after the game to prevent massive vampire drain.