Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday update - no boombox for me :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your service center actually confirm they would order? I just tried to setup an appointment for this and they responded this morning and said that it is not available for my car at this time.
Yes, my service center ordered and installed the speaker a few weeks ago. No issues and the boombox feature was available after the holiday update. I have an early vin so I assume everyone can retrofit the speaker.

Yes, my service center ordered and installed the speaker a few weeks ago. No issues and the boombox feature was available after the holiday update. I have an early vin so I assume everyone can retrofit the speaker.

I made an appointment with my service center for my late July 2020 Model Y, and they cancelled it on me with no explanation - got a notification from the app saying my service appointment has been canceled. No message, text, email, nothing. Bizarre.

From Forbes, Oct 21:
Elon Musk Foresees Self-Driving Being Released to Public by End of 2020
The Tesla CEO says that closed beta launched last night will be ready for all compatible Teslas by year's end.

That's where my expectation came from.

Okay I can understand that. That said I wouldn’t trust Forbes for stuff like this; and I grant that I’ve followed the FSD beta testers and Elon’s tweets, so it was pretty obvious by November that the beta - while progressing very quickly - was not yet ready for wide release. Second, I’ve also seen that FSD and the MCU UI are two different code-bases. They might rely on each other a bit, but the two are completely separate code-bases.

In Agile project management, you learn that you can be 80% confident of your next 1-2 sprints (2 week units of work) - though ideally a good high functioning team is confident at 90-100% for the next sprint. And as time goes on, that confidence level goes down because you learn and iterate from every sprint.

The same thing applies to Elon. He’s pretty decent at super-short term predictions, but after that take it with a grain of salt. I do have confidence he will get it done…but he’s like a new software manager in terms of estimations.

I do grant that as a software engineer and manager its obvious to me, but not to just anyone. So my tone isn’t meant to be snarky, but more hopefully helpful.

Okay I can understand that. That said I wouldn’t trust Forbes for stuff like this; and I grant that I’ve followed the FSD beta testers and Elon’s tweets, so it was pretty obvious by November that the beta - while progressing very quickly - was not yet ready for wide release. Second, I’ve also seen that FSD and the MCU UI are two different code-bases. They might rely on each other a bit, but the two are completely separate code-bases.

In Agile project management, you learn that you can be 80% confident of your next 1-2 sprints (2 week units of work) - though ideally a good high functioning team is confident at 90-100% for the next sprint. And as time goes on, that confidence level goes down because you learn and iterate from every sprint.

The same thing applies to Elon. He’s pretty decent at super-short term predictions, but after that take it with a grain of salt. I do have confidence he will get it done…but he’s like a new software manager in terms of estimations.

I do grant that as a software engineer and manager its obvious to me, but not to just anyone. So my tone isn’t meant to be snarky, but more hopefully helpful.
Without snark: your definition and expectations of software project management practice within Tesla is, empirically, highly optimistic based on public info.

Tesla sw engineering discipline has been improving over the years, eg. bug bounties, contributions back to open source as per GPL agreement, build revision numerology that makes sense, branches vs forks, etc.

There’s still a ways to go, and I challenge you to find any burn down charts for a major feature from Tesla. :)

Without snark: your definition and expectations of software project management practice within Tesla is, empirically, highly optimistic based on public info.

Tesla sw engineering discipline has been improving over the years, eg. bug bounties, contributions back to open source as per GPL agreement, build revision numerology that makes sense, branches vs forks, etc.

There’s still a ways to go, and I challenge you to find any burn down charts for a major feature from Tesla. :)

No snark taken. I have no idea what their practice is within Tesla; but I know enough to set what I think are more realistic expectations where a very private (yet publicly visible) beta is not going to go widespread to the public in just 2 months.

We just had a scary encounter a few days ago, we were creeping along in a SAM's parking lot and came upon a family of 4 (2 adults and two kids guessing the kids were under, holding hands with the father) and as I approached them from beyond something told me I had better slow down, I did and just as the nose of our MY was a few feet from them the father and both kids cut directly in front of us, I slammed on the brakes and stopped short. Of course, they were surprised to see a car just feet from them.

So say what you will, but this is a REAL "safety issue" with silent EV's and I want the feature to work in my car. Gonna try setting up an appointment via the app and see what happens.

We just had a scary encounter a few days ago, we were creeping along in a SAM's parking lot and came upon a family of 4 (2 adults and two kids guessing the kids were under, holding hands with the father) and as I approached them from beyond something told me I had better slow down, I did and just as the nose of our MY was a few feet from them the father and both kids cut directly in front of us, I slammed on the brakes and stopped short. Of course, they were surprised to see a car just feet from them.

So say what you will, but this is a REAL "safety issue" with silent EV's and I want the feature to work in my car. Gonna try setting up an appointment via the app and see what happens.
I thought that was strictly for when you are backing up, not when you are going forward. Does it work in both directions if you are going below a certain speed? That would be pretty damn annoying to have that ghost sound everytime you are in traffic.