Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday update? what can we expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way. Starlink latency will never be acceptable for real autonomous driving. Terrestrial 5G will always be cheaper and better. Not to mention line of sight issues and other complications. Not gonna happen.
Please detail your assertion that connectivity is required for autonomous driving, and that the latency of starlink would be too great to support this. Current Tesla cars do not require ANY connectivity to perform FSD functions. Although this is not full autonomy, I see no connectivity requirement for increasing FSD autonomy, let alone a low latency connection. If connectivity were required, FSD would stop driving when the car is in remote areas having no cellphone connection.

If you are deploying a robotaxi, you will need connectivity to manage the ride hailing aspects of the service, but even that would not need to be low latency and could, in theory, be satisfied using starlink.

Current Tesla cars do not require ANY connectivity to perform FSD functions.
I mean, current Tesla cars also don't do anything that could really be called autonomous driving either.

The idea of low latency vehicle-to-vehicle communications being necessary for true large-scale autonomous driving is not exactly a new concept. "Internet of Vehicles" type concepts, IMO, are really going to be mandatory to fully realize the promise of high-density autonomous vehicles. Too much can (and will) go wrong when you have hundreds or thousands of individual nodes making decisions without communication and context.

Reactions: Boza
I mean, current Tesla cars also don't do anything that could really be called autonomous driving either.

The idea of low latency vehicle-to-vehicle communications being necessary for true large-scale autonomous driving is not exactly a new concept. "Internet of Vehicles" type concepts, IMO, are really going to be mandatory to fully realize the promise of high-density autonomous vehicles. Too much can (and will) go wrong when you have hundreds or thousands of individual nodes making decisions without communication and context.

Vehicle-to-vehicle communications for high density driving (wagon trains) would be best implemented by direct communications. Networks such as starlink, or terrestrial cellular networks would not be reliable enough for safety. But, the idea of AVs somehow packing into higher densities that current traffic is something that is not on any current horizon. Nonetheless, such a use case is not required for an AV to function.

Reactions: DJ Palmis
I'd really like to be able to make the visualization smaller. I didn't mind it a few years ago (V9 I think?) but it's half of the screen now and, honestly, it's completely useless. Let me have a bigger map, bigger interface for everything else. It would be nice if it was a customizable area for things I might want to access frequently like windshield wipers or lights etc. But, honestly, I'd just be happy if it was smaller.

I wish Elon could realize how off putting the music integration in these vehicles is. It’s going to ensure that this car will be my one and only Tesla. Six months in and I’m already extremely tired of having to pre-select music on my phone every time I get into the car. I’m astonished that Bluetooth integration is so poor. We have family subscription to Apple Music and I don’t feel I should be forced to subscribe to Tidal (Spotify sounds terrible via streaming) just to be able to access a music library in a 2022 model car. Enough of this nonsense already.
Do what I do. Rip your albums to mp3 or flacc, put is on a USB drive then listen to whatever you want

Reactions: PianoAl
How about making the previously playing input selection persist when you start the car? How about respecting track gain? How about allowing a search on the USB drive? How About bigger-than-miniscule album art thumbnails? How about remembering whether you're in shuffle mode or not? How about.... etc. etc. ad nauseum...

Do what I do. Rip your albums to mp3 or flacc, put is on a USB drive then listen to whatever you want
That's only good if you are person that listens to a static music library. I'm always adding new music to my playlists. My home computer is a Mac and it's too much work to have to do the conversions from Apple Music and then organize the file structure to work in the car on a constant basis every time I want to add music to the USB drive. We shouldn't have to go through these kind of troubles in 2022.

That's only good if you are person that listens to a static music library. I'm always adding new music to my playlists. My home computer is a Mac and it's too much work to have to do the conversions from Apple Music and then organize the file structure to work in the car on a constant basis every time I want to add music to the USB drive. We shouldn't have to go through these kind of troubles in 2022.
So am I. One ripper product I use dBpoweramp creates a directory with the album name and it puts each song under that directory. I copy that directory to the USB drives. I'm pretty sure Mac creates folders (equivalent to directory)