Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hollow-Core Doors: Another Association? National Association of Home Builders

In National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), did Tesla create ANOTHER enemy (like NADA)?

• Yes -- expect NAHB (formally or otherwise) to be resistant to Tesla

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No -- NAHB welcomes Tesla and proposes alignment in environmental residential design

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally understand that individuals -- with expert taste and capital to apply to this taste -- will hire great architects to incorporate such Tesla advances into an individual project, but...

... what about the "...80% of the new homes built in the United States..."?

Residential Building (Single and Multi-Family) Market.

With all due respect - and apologies - to mass-building developers out there...

Growing up in Northern Virginia, I've come to have a negative perception of residential developers (Toll Brothers, etc.) ---- believing that they are in it for a quick buck --- building crappy houses with hollow frame doors and use of other crappy materials that will last about 10 years before needing replacement.

http://www.nahb.org/en/about-nahb.aspx

"The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) helps its members build communities. Each year, NAHB’s members construct about 80% of the new homes built in the United States, both single-family and multifamily.
A federation of more than 700 state and local associations, NAHB represents more than 140,000 members. About one-third are home builders and remodelers. The rest work in closely related specialties such as sales and marketing, housing finance, and manufacturing and supplying building materials.
NAHB is member-driven, with more than 2,200 members serving on the association’s board of directors, which elects the Senior Officers and helps set the association’s agenda.
Since it was founded in the early 1940s, NAHB has served as the voice of America’s housing industry. We work to ensure that housing is a national priority and that all Americans have access to safe, decent and affordable housing, whether they choose to buy a home or rent.
Achieving that goal is increasingly difficult in today’s contentious and unsettled political and financial environment, one in which the concept of homeownership as a national priority is very much under attack. We champion laws and regulations designed to reverse this dangerous course that will drive down the value of the nation’s housing stock, drive up the cost of rental housing, and threaten the economic recovery."

Do we know yet if the solar roof can only be installed by Tesla or if they'll also allow properly trained/certified contractors to do so? If it's the latter, wouldn't Tesla be more of a supplier than a competitor for home builders and roofers? They will definitely be a competitor for solar panel installers, but SolarCity is already doing that.

There is a popular roofing company in the SF Bay Area called Petersen Dean Roofing that now has a sizeable solar business. This is a natural match and they even give discounts for combined roofing and solar jobs. The Tesla solar roof product line is a good match for them. I hope that Tesla will work with companies like that to grow their business.

Do we know yet if the solar roof can only be installed by Tesla or if they'll also allow properly trained/certified contractors to do so? If it's the latter, wouldn't Tesla be more of a supplier than a competitor for home builders and roofers? They will definitely be a competitor for solar panel installers, but SolarCity is already doing that.

What is tricky is that solid roofing has a substantial sheet metal component. So solarcity is getting into this business too? I recently partially replaced the copper flashing on my concrete tile roof at the cost of $14K. My roof would have the same flashing if I used Tesla's new product.

I have a hard time imaging a national company like solarcity profitably managing this kind of business. Currently they try to do two solar installs per crew per day. But taking full responsibility for the roof on more expensive complex houses is a much bigger project that often requires coordination with other trades.

There is clearly demand for the TE roofs. But the installs are often complicated and custom.

Reactions: jimmyjohn
What is tricky is that solid roofing has a substantial sheet metal component. So solarcity is getting into this business too? I recently partially replaced the copper flashing on my concrete tile roof at the cost of $14K. My roof would have the same flashing if I used Tesla's new product.

I have a hard time imaging a national company like solarcity profitably managing this kind of business. Currently they try to do two solar installs per crew per day. But taking full responsibility for the roof on more expensive complex houses is a much bigger project that often requires coordination with other trades.

There is clearly demand for the TE roofs. But the installs are often complicated and custom.
I would imagine they would work to train roofing contractors to be certified installers. You're right, roofing is a whole industry unto itself and Tesla has no expertise there. Plus, frankly, I wouldn't trust my home's roof to Tesla for a complete install.

• Informative
Reactions: jimmyjohn
I have a hard time imaging a national company like solarcity profitably managing this kind of business.
I have a flat gravel roof and Solar City wouldn't go near it. The company that did my install had to come back twice to fix and diagnose a leak. After the second visit their investigation revealed a leak that my HOA will have to deal with.
It is all about risk management in the roofing business. In California one can add high Workers Compensation rates to the risk management equation.

I totally understand that individuals -- with expert taste and capital to apply to this taste -- will hire great architects to incorporate such Tesla advances into an individual project, but...

Growing up in Northern Virginia, I've come to have a negative perception of residential developers (Toll Brothers, etc.) ---- believing that they are in it for a quick buck --- building crappy houses with hollow frame doors and use of other crappy materials that will last about 10 years before needing replacement.

"The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) helps its members build communities. Each year, NAHB’s members construct about 80% of the new homes built in the United States, both single-family and multifamily.
A federation of more than 700 state and local associations, NAHB represents more than 140,000 members. About one-third are home builders and remodelers. The rest work in closely related specialties such as sales and marketing, housing finance, and manufacturing and supplying building materials.
NAHB is member-driven, with more than 2,200 members serving on the association’s board of directors, which elects the Senior Officers and helps set the association’s agenda.
Since it was founded in the early 1940s, NAHB has served as the voice of America’s housing industry. We work to ensure that housing is a national priority and that all Americans have access to safe, decent and affordable housing, whether they choose to buy a home or rent.
Achieving that goal is increasingly difficult in today’s contentious and unsettled political and financial environment, one in which the concept of homeownership as a national priority is very much under attack. We champion laws and regulations designed to reverse this dangerous course that will drive down the value of the nation’s housing stock, drive up the cost of rental housing, and threaten the economic recovery."

I know about a roofing company roof lines east inc, a lightweight roofing toronto, who work along with commercial builders claim to specialize in roofing construction and repair works (Commercial Roofing - Replacement, Repair, Coating Oakville |) . Not sure if they would be doing the solar roofing . Their recent projects might give you some ideas in this regard. Though they work for builders they might give you some idea about the best roofing solutions. Try your luck

I live in Northern VA too, I agree, most of the construction starting in about 1985 is complete garbage, I have owned three homes here; Centex, Toll Brothers and NV... all of them used poor quality building material - in my Toll Brothers home - every door frame they installed was not square - so bad that on several you could see light coming through the cracks at the top. Hollow Core doors everywhere, poorly installed insulation, cheap windows and basic lowest SEER rating HVAC in a home over $1M.... total BS. I tried recently to negotiate with K Hovnanian to "allow" me to upgrade the envelope specs: Geothermal Heat (no - even though the already had a well digging rig on site for the water), Spray Foam Insulation (nope), Increase specs of the basic furnace, (nope), go with better windows (nope), LED lights -(nope) Insulated garage doors (nope).. on and on... round and round. Take our crappy product that we haven't built yet, or go elsewhere - tried same with NV - got the run around and walked. This motivated me to make our current home better than anything they build - I did a whole house envelope redo - now my little 3 cubic foot high efficiency wood stove heats my 6000 SQFT home (top of line, windows, doors, spray foam insulation, solar panels, insulated garage and garage doors, LED in every light controlled with a Zigbee controller for auto on off), High efficiency furnace 98 AFUE and 22 SEER AC... high efficiency hot water heater, etc.

They are more interested in their stockholders than their products -- voted with my feet - F'um.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk