Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holly crap is this true?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this reply with a “Whatever”; as in I’m suprised this is a “feature” - this is a crappy design to protect valuables. I mean why not just let the battery disconnect with a separate entrance, or via just these number one and two pulls directly to the battery (which if not in an issue - still stall your car), or have a 2nd door/lock/cover to an area in the frunk that is still secure. I’d guess 50-75% of thieves don’t care about an alarm going off if they snatch and run in 10 seconds.

Thanks for sharing - makes me rethink now to keep my valuables on me versus the frunk.

Last edited:
I started this reply with a “Whatever”; as in I’m suprised this is a “feature” - this is a crappy design to protect valuables. I mean why not just let the battery disconnect with a separate entrance, or via just these number one and two pulls directly to the battery (which if not in an issue - still stall your car), or have a 2nd door/lock/cover to an area in the frunk that is still secure. I’d guess 50-75% of thieves don’t care about an alarm going off if they snatch and run in 10 seconds.

Thanks for sharing - makes me rethink now to keep my valuables on me versus the frunk.

The frunk is really no different that a trunk (perps can simply use a crow bar to pop those open and we've seen it happen a few months ago). Yes, keep your valuables with you. Believe me being a recent victim of a car break in (with dashcam going) and seeing someone else's dashcam footage of when their car got hit along with dozens of others in a busy parking lot at night with lighting and people walking by all the time, anything you put in your car is fair game to these people. Whether it's glass broken or trunks popped, it happens amazingly fast. Totally gave me a new perspective on this crime.

The frunk is really no different that a trunk (perps can simply use a crow bar to pop those open and we've seen it happen a few months ago). Yes, keep your valuables with you. Believe me being a recent victim of a car break in (with dashcam going) and seeing someone else's dashcam footage of when their car got hit along with dozens of others in a busy parking lot at night with lighting and people walking by all the time, anything you put in your car is fair game to these people. Whether it's glass broken or trunks popped, it happens amazingly fast. Totally gave me a new perspective on this crime.
The problem is defining what a "valuable" is. Other times it's deciding what is more risky, leaving your wallet or phone in the car or taking it with you to the beach and burying it under the blankets when you go for a swim. Bottom line, you can be robbed, your car can be robbed, your house can be robbed - nothing in this world is 100% safe. I know it's hard to swallow to some people, but life is a crapshoot, you need to enjoy every day and not live in stress of what bad things can happen. You can get hit by lightening while walking outside in perfectly sunny weather (~20 people per year die of lightening strikes in the US every year, ~2 of them in sunny weather) - not a reason to wear a tin foil hat with a lightening rod every time you go out, or to never go outside. On average 100 people die in car accidents EVERY DAY in the United States alone, not a reason to not drive a car either.

Still leaves the Frunk more secure that anywhere in the trunk or cabin, until we either getting bulletproof glass or do away with rocks - and with the advantage that most folks won't know to look there or the trick to get in, the alarm will definitely go off, and if something does get stolen they didn't damage your car doing it.

The Model 3 approach of requiring an external 12V source and only functioning if the car's 12V is dead is superior, though.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I've opened mine twice....only to show it to people who asked to see it. I've never used it.
I used to use my original, larger frunk for work stuff (backpack and some gear). Then the frunk shrunk, so became less useful. To be honest, I probably would still use it when I travel with just a backpack (nice place for backpack not to fly around with some spirited driving), but the frunk closing got more flimsy with newer models. While I could comfortably close the frunk using one hand in my 2013 MS, it seems I need 2 hands for the 2015 and the 2017 the hood is so flimsy I worry every time I close it even with 2 hands. That and sometimes the keyfob is no longer detected when I am in front of the car, so the car locks itself, then if I am too gentle closing the hood it pops back up and the alarm goes off - VERY unpleasant experience when the car starts honking at you.

For those looking to store valuables in the car, the frunk actually offers a great opportunity to build-in an actual safe! Bolt it down to the car's frame with some fancy security bolts and it will be as safe as storage in a car can get, while not getting in a way of emergency responders :)

I use the microfrunk every day while in town.

It’s not so useful during longer trips, but the original frunk and microwave sure were. I still have the microwave luggage. It’s great.

The Model X microfrunk is decent - can at least get a modest set of golf clubs and bag therein. And probably shoes, jacket and a proper bumbershoot too.

If you want more secure storage, consider a bolted safe in the trunkwell, among other places. There are a few threads concerning this topic both here and at the mothership.

This is not Tesla fault, this is due to regulations on the frunk. So far as the regulations go, there might as well be an ICE under there as there is no differentiation in the regulations between electric and ICE powered cars. Thus, every manufacturer MUST adhere to the regulations on the hood and that is to make it easy to open by first responders should the need arise.

Jeff

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The reason why this exists is also because of the 12V battery.

In a standard car, if the 12V battery dies, you use the physical key to unlock the door and then use the mechanical hood release to pop the hood so you can jump the car.

Without a mechanical unlock from outside of the car - there is no access if the 12V battery dies. No opening the doors, no opening the charge port, etc as it's all electronic from outside.

So if your 12V battery dies, you'll need a way of mechanically accessing the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla