Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holster mounting options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guns are so last century, basically an ICE with a bullet as a piston. While the nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin on a modern double base powder are plant based and not petroleum based, the gun is basically a multi-cylinder ICE. A lithium battery powered Taser would seem to be more appropriate for a Tesla. While not a 100% BEP, Battery Electric Propellent, it is a hybrid, a tiny gunpowder charge does propel the very light barb and wire with the lithium battery supplying the knock down force.

I'm not sure why you would want your handgun in open view like that, I don't think it will do you any favors if you get pulled over. Innocent people have been shot by police after a gun was visible in the car and the driver was reaching for his license and registration. I own two handguns and keep one in my car, but carrying in this manner is just not a good idea.

Those considering making this modification should also check their state laws. In many states you cannot carry a handgun in a vehicle openly like this, it must be stored in a locked container at all times.

Seems my post has attracted a few dislikes, what exactly people don't like about my post I would love to know. I'm sorry to say but the statistics show a staggering number of children who die or get injured by guns even with education and parental oversight, I'm not blaming anybody on this forum (most sound very reasonable and careful) but accidents happen and far too often, some numbers show one child death every other day in the US.

A gun like a car or knife is dangerous tool, but unlike the other two it is extremely easy for kids to cause a lot of harm with rather little effort (most of these accidents happen with 3-5yr olds), having that kind of danger just loosely hanging around either in the car or house is always a risk (heck even adults accidentally shoot themselves sometimes) which is why having it stored securely in the car is paramount, stuff happens in the real world, better to be over prepared than under.

I also wonder about getting pulled over by the cops, having it so out in the open and close to the driver might spook some cops (everyone is on edge these days), having it out of sight and telling the officer you carry might be a better option. In my home state of Connecticut I believe the law requires that you store the gun and ammo separately in the car, you might even be required to have the ammo locked away. Want to go hunting or to the range? great! Neither of those require you to have a fully loaded weapon sitting next to you, all the enjoyment with almost none of the risk.

I'm not sure why you would want your handgun in open view like that, I don't think it will do you any favors if you get pulled over.
I cannot not speak for every state but in FLA carrying a weapon open like that, even if you have a CONCEALED carry license, is illegal and will at the minimum will earn you a citation if not a few minutes of kissing pavement if you meet up with the wrong cop. As for the locked container thing that is only applicable if you are traveling in states that do not honor your right to carry.

Seems my post has attracted a few dislikes, what exactly people don't like about my post I would love to know. I'm sorry to say but the statistics show a staggering number of children who die or get injured by guns even with education and parental oversight, I'm not blaming anybody on this forum (most sound very reasonable and careful) but accidents happen and far too often, some numbers show one child death every other day in the US.

you facts and data are wrong, that is what earned you the dislikes

In our state (Virginia), the state police know you are carrying before they walk up to your vehicle. Once they run your tag, it comes back and tells them you have a concealed carry. Most officers ask you if you carrying when they walk up to the car - not always, but this has happened to me twice. Usually they ask where your gun is and thats the end of it.

Also, some pointers on when you get pulled over - turn on the interior light and keep you hands on the steering wheel - don't make quick movements without instruction from the officer and maintain eye contact with the officer to insure you are communicating effectively. Reaching under your seat without permission or reaching into the glove box without permission could make the officer very edgy. over communicate and follow his exact instructions.

Not to derail the thread, but in the spirit of EVs, perhaps those of us that want to carry should carry Tasers? :)

Please derail. Can't help reading the thread and thinking someone wants attention or provoke a discussion on US 2nd Amendment rights. I am a black male, veteran, from and live in VA, married to a native born Italian so assume that I have a complicated feeling about handguns. Regardless I hate that the fact that if you disagree with wanting people to have access to something built solely to kill makes me a California, tree hugger, or liberal. Buying a Tesla EV makes us all tree hugging liberals. Most of the civilized world errs on the side of caution and doesn't permit it's citizens to buy or own sidearms. Nevertheless, I am a registered fire arm owner who shots weapons for fun. I don't pretend like my life is on danger or I worry about someone coming into my house. I don't. I am competitive and care about how accurate I am. However, I have been pulled over at gunpoint twice and once with a barrel near my face for being black in a nice car. So that not a liberal experience that's an American one. Anyhow just seemed as if this thread wasn't trying to be about holsters and when people actually talked about holsters it wasn't what was intended.

Lee_B
First thanks for your service! Be glad no one has ever broken into your home... unfortunately like you, things that we never expected happened and someone did break into our home. As you already know once an event like this happens, it is an experience you never forget, similar to the experience you had with the police and it changes how you react to everything.

This is not different than the phone mounting options thread - just a different tool.

I am sorry you are offended, that is not my intent.

I 3M taped a magnetic gun mount (similar to this: Amazon.com : Magnetic Gun Mount & Holster For Vehicle And Home - HQ Rubber Coated 35 Lbs Rated - Firearm Accessory. Concealed Holder For Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, Revolver, Truck, Car, Wall, Vault, Desk... : Sports & Outdoors) inside the dash cubby hole under the Touchscreen. Works great! Easily accessible and out of sight of passengers or anyone peaking through the windows.

Now that is very creative! - I am going to follow you lead!!! Damn Amazon is just too easy 1-click ordering - I got three of them. this would be a good iPad holder too if it really can hold 35 lbs.. just need to double stick tape something magnetic on the back of the iPad

Those are all little guns. How about a holster for something like a bazooka. I'm from California and I can't believe you all settle for little handguns for protection when a bazooka is available.

Amen brother, I for one would like to own a Panzer tank and SR-71 Blackbird, sadly those nasty folks at those three letter agencies wouldn't look too kindly upon it. (sarcasm for those that can't tell)

I really think we need to start considering owning firearms as more of a privilege (since most of the world isn't as lax), that would solve most of these issues of "don't tell me I can't have one". I fully support the right for people to own guns, but I think we need to take the approach that Germany does with drivers licenses, you can have one, but you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can handle a car at 200mph, further if you screw around or don't follow the law you get your license revoked forever, period, no "re-training" classes. It is a high bar that keeps out the riff raff and means that certain sections of the Autobahn can have no "official" speed limit, that only works when people take things VERY seriously.

In many states you cannot carry a handgun in a vehicle openly like this, it must be stored in a locked container at all times.
Actually, not true as long as you have a concealed carry permit recognized by the state. In fact there is one state, it slips my mind at the moment, that requires a weapon to be in plain sight in a vehicle even if you have a concealed permit.

The only time it has to be in a locked container is if your concealed carry permit is not recognized by the state you are passing through. Then you are transporting the weapon under federal law and it must be locked and unloaded. I just drove from Pennsylvania to Texas this past week and the only state I had to lock up the gun was Maryland. All other states recognized my carry permit.

Additionally, in the event of a police stop, I always immediately inform the officer that I have a permit and am carrying a concealed weapon (even though with the exception of Louisiana and Ohio that is not required). Prevents any misunderstandings. Anytime I have been stopped, I have found most officers appreciate this and act professionally. One guy told me, "I won't show you mine if you don't show me yours."