Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holster mounting options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like this holster, its peaceful, doesn't drag occupants from their vehicle and culturally enriches them with a nice charred exterior, the optional accessory sprays COVID-19 in a fine mist, because as you know COVID is only transmitted at political rallies, but not riots or protests, based on the MSM. ;)

Last edited:
I like this holster
That certainly is a good way to help me check my White Privilege (it’s not what you’re thinking: my Tesla is white and is a privilege to drive!) but I’m thinking something more, shall we say, “traditional”.

Joking aside, I’m keen to have a safe solution to store and secure my firearm but provide quick access when (hopefully not) needed.

My guess is something mounted to the driver’s side, outside of the central consul is probably what I’m looking for.

Don’t like the idea of the glove box or storing it in the center consul as I think it’s critical to have quick, unfettered access to it should things take a sudden turn for the worse.

Good luck, your best bet is to avoid those areas, I recommend reading this, available on Amazon for $8. Optionally check out this thread on the Model 3 forums, which offered some secure solutions

51J6dWICm6L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My guess is something mounted to the driver’s side, outside of the central consul is probably what I’m looking for.

Don’t like the idea of the glove box or storing it in the center consul as I think it’s critical to have quick, unfettered access to it should things take a sudden turn for the worse.

Had a 600 mile drive to Pittsburgh and back over the past day, got out of the car at my first stop and had lost a screw in my Alien Gear holster. UGH! So ended up having to just stuff it in the center console for the ride and do some really bad printing stuffing it in my front pants pocket for 2 days. Would have been nice to have something to mount in the vehicle for the drive.

Kept seeing these pop up on Facebook:

VULCAN QuickDraw

But not sure I like the idea of a strong magnet potentially magnetizing internal components. And especially don't like having the trigger exposed 100%.

This uses the Alien Gear Holsters ShapeShift system to put a detachable holster in to the center console area of a Tesla Model S. I did this in a December 2017 Model S. There may be some slight modifications you will need to perform on your vehicle. This should only be performed under the full understanding that I am not giving directions on how to install this kit in your vehicle and that I am only showcasing how I did it. Always ensure that any and all firearms are unloaded if you decide to try something like this. I assume no liability for any damages or harm you may do to yourself, vehicles, or others.

The Alien Gear Holsters ShapeShift system can be purchased from ShapeShift Modular Holster System by Alien Gear Holsters It includes several carry methods as well as the holster mount that I used to mount in my Model S.

Below you will find the steps I took to install this holster system in to my Model S.

V_20200913_114623_ES0.mp4_snapshot_00.02.214.jpg

You will need a 7/32 drill bit. If you are going to do this by hand like I did, be sure the bit is nice and sharp. I used a Hercules Titanium bit set from Harbor Freight Tools. Works great.
1.jpg

You will also want some M4 washers. I had a set from a TV wall mount that work perfectly.
2.jpg

This image shows the holster mount with a weld nut in one of the corners.
3.jpg

Flip over the holster mount with weld nut in it and verify the M4 washer you have fits around the weld nut perfectly.
4.jpg

To help make sure you get the proper clearance before drilling, put an M4 washer on the 7/32 drill bit as it will help you align in the corner of the first drilling spot.
5.jpg

To make sure you are aligned properly, you will want to put the drill bit and washer in the upper left corner of the area shown in the picture. Be sure the washer sits flush against the outside wall of the compartment bin in the location shown and then you can start drilling. I spun the bit a few times to mark the spot with the washer in place, then removed the washer to finish the drilling. I recommend a rag to catch the plastic shavings.
6.jpg

All the way though for the first hole. This hole is important as it will be the alignment hole for the rest of the mount.
7.jpg

To make sure the hole is clean, I went back through it spinning the bit in place from inside the compartment bin side to be sure the hole was nice and smooth. I recommend moving the cloth/rag to inside the compartment bin to catch plastic pieces before starting.
8.jpg

You should have a nice clean hole.
9.jpg

(Continue in next post)

Ensure the holster mount weld nut fits properly through the hole. It should be a perfect fit.
10.jpg

Put the weld nut in the corresponding corner as shown in this picture. This image is from the back side of holster mount.
11.jpg

Place the holster mount with the weld nut in to the first hole drilled. This is how the weld nut appears in the first hole from the outside of the compartment wall. You may notice how the weld nut protrudes just a tiny bit past the exterior wall of the compartment bin. This is why you will need the washers to make it flush, which will be shown later.
12.jpg

Align the mount so it is basically flush/level with the side wall height compared to the other side you already drilled. You are going to basically be eyeballing this hole. You may end up slightly having to adjust the hole after the initial drill of this hole if the washer doesn’t line up to the weld nut afterwards. I had to adjust the hole ever so slightly afterwards. Use the drill bit to cut a little to mark the position of the hole, then remove the holster mount and finish drilling the hole.
13.jpg

You should now have 2 nice clean holes.
14.jpg

Place a second weld nut in to the other top hole of the holster mount.
15.jpg

Insert the mount with weld nuts in to the two holes you have made.
16.jpg

Take a washer and put it on one of the button head screws and push the allen wrench from the kit in to the button head screw. You are going to carefully screw the button head screw with washer in to the first hole weld nut from the outside of the compartment bin. You don’t need to make it tight yet, just snug to be sure everything is aligning properly. Then do the same thing with another button head screw and washer in to the second hole weld nut. If something is not aligned quite right, take the screws out and adjust the second hole as needed. Then put the screws and washers back in again. Once it is all aligned right, tighten them down.
17.jpg

Now drill the bottom two holes. You can do this with the mount in place as it is already tightened down in place.
18.jpg

Place the bottom two weld nuts through from inside the compartment through the holster mount holes. They should go all the way through cleanly and protrude slightly on the outside wall.
19.jpg

(continued on next post)

Put washers on two more button head screws and tighten them down in to the bottom two weld nuts. I’m not sure if you will run in to the same issue I did, but for some reason the bottom weld nut towards the front of the car actually protruded just a tiny bit more than the other weld nuts and therefore I had to add a second washer to that screw to get it to tighten down. I used a M4 lock washer as I had one available from that same TV wall mount kit as you can see in the picture.
20.jpg

Here is a video I made after the installation was completed. (And yes, the handgun was completely unloaded and nothing in the mag.):

Follow up video showing the sliding door of the center compartment can close without obstruction when holster is removed and only holster mount remains:

I dunno, although very convenient and considerably more comfortable, there is something about having my weapon outside my bodily control that bothers me.

However when buckled up in the car seat, it is a whole lot easier to draw your handgun from the center console which is only a couple inches away than trying to pull from under the seatbelt and shirt (if you conceal carry). And using the Alien Gear ShapeShift system allows me to take the holster from the center console and attach it to my hip before I get out of the car. And since the firearm is not being removed from the holster and the trigger is completely shielded by the holster, you don't run the risk of a negligent discharge.

Reactions: krsgio
Put washers on two more button head screws and tighten them down in to the bottom two weld nuts. I’m not sure if you will run in to the same issue I did, but for some reason the bottom weld nut towards the front of the car actually protruded just a tiny bit more than the other weld nuts and therefore I had to add a second washer to that screw to get it to tighten down. I used a M4 lock washer as I had one available from that same TV wall mount kit as you can see in the picture.
View attachment 587958

Here is a video I made after the installation was completed. (And yes, the handgun was completely unloaded and nothing in the mag.):

Follow up video showing the sliding door of the center compartment can close without obstruction when holster is removed and only holster mount remains:

Nice M&P Shield, same one I have for CC.

Recommend using JackNuts to make this install easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryououki
Nice M&P Shield, same one I have for CC.

Recommend using JackNuts to make this install easier.

Thanks. I really like the M&P Shield line. I alternate between the M&P Shield, Ruger SR9c, and FN Five-seveN as my carry pieces. I am disappointed that Alien Gear Holsters still does not have a ShapeShift holster for the FN Five-seveN though.

Those jack nuts are pretty neat. After watching the videos though, I think the mushrooming part on the jack nut rivets will occupy too much space for this install. For the top 2 holes, especially the one closer to front of car, there is very little extra clearance. But if they have a rivet nut used that didn't mushroom too much, that would be a good alternative. I was just using the parts that came in the Alien Gear Holsters kit and didn't really think about alternative mounting methods. Great info though and another tool I will have to look in to adding to my collection. I have a pop rivet set, but could see how these jack nut rivets could come in handy for some projects. Thanks again.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I rotate my Shield with a Walther PPS and a host of others, all IWB. These are midsize weapons that, like smaller Kahr and Sigs, become really big when you sit down. I have several Alien Gear holsters and several others, and none of them are really comfortable IWB. I have some kidex clamshells for these as well and cannot seem to find the balance of comfort and concealment. I mostly pocket carry something smaller, albeit a suboptimal carry method. Your setup looks good, though.

Reactions: Ryououki