Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy crap, repairs are insanely expensive, beware!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In UT?

I can't imagine them being that popular in UT to have 8 Tesla's in the shop.

I haven't been in the shop but that's the claim. He said many from Denver and other surrounding areas. Just passing on the report. They are quite popular in UT though. I was surprised to hear so many piling up at one shop. I guess if a control arm takes 2 months to complete, others must take much longer. That could be a years worth if work for the shop. Yikes.

@mattr2 looking at your posted pics. I wonder if you are entitled to the old parts after replacement? May depend on your insurance policy.

The only thing i see in the pics that is not reusable/resell for slavage owner use is the lower arm and the brake hose. Might be a way to recoup some of the out of pocket cost.

I did hear a little grinding sound and could imaging a gear wheel perhaps having issues. When the wheel itself came loose, the suspension went berserk. I can't confirm for sure, but those parts were on the list (of course.)

Here are some screen shots.

I actually can't call the shop dishonest if they are following the recommendations of the manufacturer. It appears to me that they have to follow the service bulletin or face liability. I'm not sure.

Has anyone else out there had this type of repair?

IMG_0205.PNG IMG_0206.PNG IMG_0207.PNG

Insurers now have 4 years of experience with the Model S. Repair costs like this are already baked into everyone's insurance rate. That said, suspension on the front wheels is a tricky point for a heavy car. So you tend to see quite a bit of cases like OP. I believe there is a anti-Tesla guy online who collects them and reports every single one to safety authorities since he believes there is a fundamental issue with the S/X frond wheel suspension. Anyway, not very surprising more like cars with this failure are under repair in the same shop, especially if it is the only shop in a 500 mile radius that is certified. Tesla better get cracking in certifying more before Model 3 rolls out in serious numbers or the wait is going to be really, really painful.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
In order to replace all the parts on that list, a lot more work is required. Work like removing bumpers, dropping batteries, removing A/C compressors. It's crazy.

It's not really replacing the entire front end, just the parts and labor list is so large it seems that way. Maybe a tear down and re-build is a better way to explain it.

I'd be happy to post the official repair estimate so all can see.
The document you posted says that the steering gear must be replaced if any of the parts on the list are damaged in a collision. It does not say all the parts on the list is required to be replaced. I think you are reading it wrong.

I agree, my initial post is a little fishy and I got carried away. Looking at the parts lit there are references to a radiator, but not replacing the radiator itself.

I would edit my original post, but the forum won't allow. It's not my intent to deceive or exaggerate, just to bring awareness. If a mod will allow me to edit the post, I will slightly adjust the original wording.

My point was, it should have been a minor repair, now it's a major repair that's taking several months. Parts were ordered two days after the incident. Not all parts have been received.

In addition, this is the first estimate. The final was a little different. A few hundo more. It's buried in my email but is close enough.

Last edited:
@mattr2 looking at your posted pics. I wonder if you are entitled to the old parts after replacement? May depend on your insurance policy.

The only thing i see in the pics that is not reusable/resell for slavage owner use is the lower arm and the brake hose. Might be a way to recoup some of the out of pocket cost.

I actually thought about that, not sure what I would do with those parts or how useful they could be in the future.

If that's no joke or exaggeration, then there's a safety recall coming. It's not normal cars to break control arms or ball joints simply from cornering fast.

One source of data doesn't necessarily create a trend. This is one guy telling me a problem that he sees in his shop but I agree, if that is the case there is a problem.

There is also a problem if a small incident like this can be such an extensive repair. Like I said, I'm actually more concerned of unnecessary work being done on perfectly fine parts resulting in future issues. Problems like less than perfect reassembly.

Reactions: sorka
Here are some screen shots.

I actually can't call the shop dishonest if they are following the recommendations of the manufacturer. It appears to me that they have to follow the service bulletin or face liability. I'm not sure.

Has anyone else out there had this type of repair?

View attachment 215871 View attachment 215872 View attachment 215873
I will say ditto on the other suggestion if you can get back the parts they replaced, as I don't see them reimbursing you for a core charge. The thing that stuck out to me is they replaced your wheel for $800 (also stuff like wheel hub, brake disc caliper, etc). Looking at your picture, it seems your wheel has a scuff, but I'm not sure if you were aware and wanted that wheel replaced (nor if it may have been bent, which would warrant a replacement). And regardless, a scuffed wheel (assuming it was not bent) may still be worth some money on ebay or you can use it as a spare.

Of course, if you are not the type to sell on ebay nor want to deal with selling parts, then perhaps you can let it go (although that wheel is something simple that may be useful).

Last edited:
I will say ditto on the other suggestion if you can get back the parts they replaced, as I don't see them reimbursing you for a core charge. The thing that stuck out to me is they replaced your wheel for $800 (also stuff like wheel hub, brake disc caliper, etc). Looking at your picture, it seems your wheel has a scuff, but I'm not sure if you were aware and wanted that wheel replaced (nor if it may have been bent, which would warrant a replacement). And regardless, a scuffed wheel may still be worth some money on ebay or you can use it as a spare.

Of course, if you are not the type to sell on ebay nor want to deal with selling parts, then perhaps you can let it go (although that wheel is something simple that may be useful).

Funny you bring up the brake caliper. That's one of the parts still on order. I can't possibly see how the caliper is bad. I brought this up and he said it was damaged. Not sure how that could have happened.

I may just go visit the shop. Makes me wonder what else is holding it up. These shops are sooooo busy, it's tough to get the attention and questions answered. May be best to just show up.

I appreciate all the feedback.

if tesla keep this up the company will be dead within 5 years nobody will buy a $100.000 car which you can not buy spares for plain stupid..
and as far as build quality goes they are still rubbish no better than a cheap korean car..

Repair of my 2016 S70 has been an awful experience, as I had recounted in a recent post. In about ten days, it will be SIX MONTHS since my accident, and I still do not have it back. Parts take months to obtain from Tesla. Repair shop has a backlog of 18 Teslas. Unacceptable problem. So sorry that I bought a Tesla, a company that I had fallen in love with. No longer.

I read the Tesla bulletin and now have absolutely no idea why OP's car is having that laundry list of stuff replaced.

If it was my car I would pay to have it towed to a Tesla shop, and I would forward the story and repair estimate to Tesla. They should decide whether to revoke the authorized service from that shop.

Reactions: Joe F
I read the Tesla bulletin and now have absolutely no idea why OP's car is having that laundry list of stuff replaced.

If it was my car I would pay to have it towed to a Tesla shop, and I would forward the story and repair estimate to Tesla. They should decide whether to revoke the authorized service from that shop.

I tried.

The Tesla dealership will not look at it. The dealership only works on warranty repairs, not collision repairs. Tesla will only refer me to this shop and this shop only.

It's a problem when basic repairs which involve parts that are most likely designed to break in order to protect the vehicle from other damage are not available for aftermarket repairs. It's also a problem when manufacturer policy requires a laundry list of other parts to be replaced by default less warranty issues arise.

Reminds me of excessive medical care.

I'm taking bids on how long before I get my car back? Based on other experiences, I'm thinking 3 more months.

Ohh, one more thing. Tow agencies have no idea how to tow these vehicles. They are so heavy and have almost no tow infrastructure to assist the $15/hr noob who does this part time. How about a bulletin from Tesla on that?