Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy crap Tidal makes the audio system come ALIVE.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had no problems streaming with either wifi or LTE.

And no wonder there is trouble replicating a playlist, you are doing it manually. There are programs that copy them over. I'll say though that I never created a playlist in Tidal, but I just tried and it is like any other. You first have to find the song, and I'm not having trouble with that. What I don't like is you need to select it and only then can you add it to a playlist. But tabs? What tabs? I'm on a Mac and maybe that version is different? Or are you using a browser version? There are lots of ways to skin the cat here.

I still don't get the need to shuffle though. I guess that's just me.

And just for the record, I gave up Tidal a while ago and have only gone back because I found the car's streaming audio to basically suck from an audio standpoint. It is just low-res crap. I've been complaining about it since before I bought the car and if there were an alternative car I'd have considered it. But we all mostly agree that there is nothing even close yet. Either range or acceleration or charging stations or other features. They all lacked one or more. Even though I have Tidal now at home too I haven't used it. I stick to Qobuz.

Has anyone figured out yet what the bitrate is when you're streaming (undownloaded and not on WiFi) Tidal in the car? I'd guess it's AAC format because that's what they use for their "normal" and "high" quality settings on other platforms... I was never sure how folks figured out what Spotify's bitrate was locked at over Tesla LTE (is there a way to see your Tesla LTE data consumption)?

I ask purely out of "stats for nerds" general interest in the subject/hobby, I've had Tidal (and Qobuz) for years now because of their sound quality and excellent 3rd party integration (Roon and USB Audio Player Pro, for example), and have no plan to cancel based on the answer... just of general interest. It doesn't sound like a higher-bitrate flavor of lossy, to my ears, like their 320 kbps AAC "high" quality setting, but it does sound better than Spotify's 96 kbps OGG I think..... but our cars aren't exactly high end audio machines and I don't notice the differences in quality nearly as much in it as I do on my better gear....

Reactions: neo1738
Good question, and no, to my knowledge no one has figured out the bitrate of any LTE streaming service on Tesla. Btw, there have been several reports that Spotify has increased from its original 96kbps bitrate. It does seem to sound pretty darn good now, but it is all speculation afaik.

When I stream Tidal over LTE I notice that the stream frequently stops to buffer. In fact, the playback is interrupted so much it is unlistenable where I live. My guess based on this is that Tidal is trying (unsuccessfully) to pull a higher bitrate than Spotify through the LTE link.

Reactions: JBT66
When I stream Tidal over LTE I notice that the stream frequently stops to buffer. In fact, the playback is interrupted so much it is unlistenable where I live. My guess based on this is that Tidal is trying (unsuccessfully) to pull a higher bitrate than Spotify through the LTE link.
Just a quick follow-up on the stuttering, and this may not help some folks, but I experienced this myself for the first time yesterday... On roads and in places where it has previously worked well (no stutters or dropouts).

First thing I did was switch to Tidal's downloaded files and they worked without stutter. Then I flipped over to Spotify (during that same drive) and Spotify worked without stutter. I returned back to Tidal streaming 2-3 times during that drive and the stutter and dropouts never went away. So whatever i was experiencing, it was unique to streaming Tidal over LTE...

When I reached my destination I rebooted the car. The next time I drove it, Tidal streamed without dropouts or stutter...

TIFWIW and YMMV

Strange new data point, took a drive and decided to listen to my Apple Music via Bluetooth versus Tidal like I have been and strangely every song played has the “Hifi” logo next to it, is it actually Hifi or is this a bug.. tbh I can’t tell the difference..

At first I thought it was because I was listening to a song that I’ve listened to on Tidal so it’s in my cache; but then I chose random song I’ve never listened to on either platforms and still Hifi..

Can anyone confirm?

Strange new data point, took a drive and decided to listen to my Apple Music via Bluetooth versus Tidal like I have been and strangely every song played has the “Hifi” logo next to it, is it actually Hifi or is this a bug.. tbh I can’t tell the difference..

At first I thought it was because I was listening to a song that I’ve listened to on Tidal so it’s in my cache; but then I chose random song I’ve never listened to on either platforms and still Hifi..

Can anyone confirm?
Disregard; probably just a bug; disconnected Bluetooth and re connected and Hifi disappeared even when playing songs I’ve listened to on Tidal

False Alarm…. Carry on

I assume Apple Music is smart enough to know not to download in HiFi if it has to reduce its bitrate to use BT output. Maybe it just took a little while for it to realize it was going out over BT? This is why I wish Tesla had an Aux input (digital or analog) so we could stream HiFi.

I use Tidal in my Tesla and my Volvo. The interface with Volvo Google is a bit different than for Tesla but both are outstanding for my use. I listen almost exclusively to Classical, primarily Baroque. With Tidal it is always simple to access any specific recording I prefer and the sound quality is superb. Even for the non-classical I listen to when my brother-in-law is with me it is superb.

Either online or from storage I have expereinced no lags or other issues. The quality changes, of course, depending on how fanatical I am about the sources.
FWIW, Vivaldi, Mozart and a handful of Organ, Lute and harpsichord recordings I use are excellent. I'm shocked at how delicate harpsichord pieces carry every single nuance, and the Organ resonance feels as if I am in the location with the instrument.

Thu far I understand that it is not lossless, but it is certainly excellent to my aging ears.
FWIW, I have been a lifelong fanatic so at times my sound system was worth more than my car, and I've been a bit obsessive/excessive about them too.

So how is Tidal working for you all nowadays? I pick up my car next week and will log into my account I use at home all the time and find out myself I guess also. also have a SSD for my music library, but unless the interface has changed, thinking Tidal will be a whole lot easier to deal with. Unless the voice command thing has gotten better.

So how is Tidal working for you all nowadays? I pick up my car next week and will log into my account I use at home all the time and find out myself I guess also. also have a SSD for my music library, but unless the interface has changed, thinking Tidal will be a whole lot easier to deal with. Unless the voice command thing has gotten better.
Just make sure you use your phone as a hotspot. Using LTE does not stream Hi-Fi (CD quality) music. It definitely sounds much better at the Hi-Fi setting.

Now if it allowed Master quality, that would be something. But at least use your phone as a hotspot for Hi-Fi quality.

You can also create "shuffled" versions of your playlist using Soundiiz.com (or similar site.) You have to sign up for a pay plan (temporarily) to shuffle a large playlist, but it is easy to duplicate a playlist, rename as Playlistname - Shuffle 1, and shuffle it. I created 3 shuffle versions for each of my favorite playlists. Not perfect, but it works until they actually add Shuffle feature to Tidal.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Just make sure you use your phone as a hotspot. Using LTE does not stream Hi-Fi (CD quality) music. It definitely sounds much better at the Hi-Fi setting.

Now if it allowed Master quality, that would be something. But at least use your phone as a hotspot for Hi-Fi quality.

You can also create "shuffled" versions of your playlist using Soundiiz.com (or similar site.) You have to sign up for a pay plan (temporarily) to shuffle a large playlist, but it is easy to duplicate a playlist, rename as Playlistname - Shuffle 1, and shuffle it. I created 3 shuffle versions for each of my favorite playlists. Not perfect, but it works until they actually add Shuffle feature to Tidal.
OT for this thread, but I have a bunch of Spotify playlists (lesser SQ, yes, but some good lists I don't have access to on Tidal for casual or background). Do you happen to know if the Spotify app allows you to call those up?

I use Tidal in both my cars Tesla Model S in US and Volvo XC40 EV in Brazil. Tidal keeps each coordinated! I have loaded a number of playlists, and recently discovered that using the native Tidal for the same music invariably has better sound. Obviously, using the best possible connection is crucial. A 5G cellular connection has been the best for me, but Native LTE in the Tesla has been quite decent. When I'm feeling intolerant I use my cellular hotspot, but only for 5G

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
You can also just download your music to the car while on WiFi. This will get you Hi-Fi-quality audio that doesn't rely on your internet connection at all. One of the best features of the Tidal app, in my opinion!
I will certainly do some of that. Living out in Idaho, cell coverage is quite spotty at times depending on where I am driving. And in through Eastern Oregon too, down across Nevada, etc. And I will have my Samsung t7 loaded up as well with lossless stuff. Should be set.

But if you stream over your phone, what are the streaming costs if you play a lot of music??

And what’s the compare generally between 320mb mp4 vs tidal hifi?

As inferior as the usb player is, feels a lot easier (and cheaper)?