Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy Hot Handles, Batman!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not an owner yet so pardon if this is a dumb question, but:

I thought the Model S had a capability to monitor the interior temperature of the car while it's parked and to run a fan or something if the temperature climbs past a designated point? I know the old/failed Aptera car was going to have such a feature (plus PV's built into the roof so no battery power was lost). Someone had told me the Tesla could do something similar, albeit with some loss to battery.

Hehe, his name is *brianstorms* but maybe you're right and he's really creative. :smile:

( It's just ze leetle joke in response to years of emails addressed to "Brain," or "Hi Brain," . . . and once even a VISA card that spelled my name "BRAIN" right on the card. So I figured I'd really mess with people's heads and use the moniker "brianstorms" for my blog and online sites... )

There are three possibilities:

1. Tesla changed the handle material (ala Bearman's heat capacity/thermal conductivity)
2. StephRob dsm363 ElSupreme and co. are wimps.
3. jomo25 and MarkR are replicants. And Harrison Ford is too old for Blade Running.

I'm think there may be a difference in later VINs, but its hard to say for sure. I might need to buy me an IR thermometer and do some sampling for comparison.

The loaner car I have is VIN 10286. I actually burned my right hand on it the other day after being parked in the sun at work all day. At 5:30pm it had very direct sun on the handle which must have made it very, very hot. My hand was red there for 30+ minutes.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Ok, to make this post somewhat germane to the thread subject: Is everybody convinced that Blazing Handle Syndrome is due to external heat source? Is there any chance the mechanisms inside the door (mechanical actuators, etc...) are malfunctioning and imparting heat to them?

I _DOUBT_ this is the case, it just seems odd that some people seem to be reporting some handles very hot when hte day isn't that warm, and vice-versa...

I'm sure it isn't just ambient temp related as others have said. Angle of sun exposure, wind likely make a big difference. That said, I have tried to note the differences in a variety of circumstances, and have yet to find a situation where it was skin burning. I find that it is always cooler than any of the areas/materials around the handle (door, paint, windows even).

OK, 109 here in PHX yesterday. Yes, its June. Had the car out for 2 hours in early afternoon sun. OK, this would be the first time where I felt the handles were uncomfortably hot. Still not so much that I couldn't open the door without burning my fingers. But if I would have let my fingers "linger" on the handle, i'd have had some problems.

Has anyone tried sticking a lining to the inside of the handle yet? A high temp silicone tape had got to be better than opening your Tesla with an oven mitt. Wow, grabbing the handle today after it had been in direct sunlight for three hours was a real eye opener.

Has anyone tried sticking a lining to the inside of the handle yet? A high temp silicone tape had got to be better than opening your Tesla with an oven mitt. Wow, grabbing the handle today after it had been in direct sunlight for three hours was a real eye opener.
I have used a self-adhesive "felt blanket" from Home Depot with great success. No more burnt fingers and no need to warn passengers about the hot handles. You do need to cut the felt blanket to fit the inside of the door handles.

Shepherd-4-1-2-in-x-6-in-Feltgard-Heavy-Duty-Self-Adhesive-Felt-Blankets

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a self-adhesive "felt blanket" from Home Depot with great success. No more burnt fingers and no need to warn passengers about the hot handles. You do need to cut the felt blanket to fit the inside of the door handles.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-4-1-2-in-x-6-in-Feltgard-Heavy-Duty-Self-Adhesive-Felt-Blankets-2-Pack-9950/100200412/

Hi Mark, so the glue hasn't come loose/isn't melting? If not, that's awesome. it was my primary concern with your solution. Today was the first time I really has a "that is MF HOT!" moment. Drivers side was sitting in the direct sun for 4 hours. Too hot for even a replicant like me.

Also, the link doesnt seem to work for me. it goes just to the main HD page.

Hi Mark, so the glue hasn't come loose/isn't melting? Also, the link doesnt seem to work for me. it goes just to the main HD page.
The self-adhesive glue has not melted. If the link doesn't work, go to Home Depot and search for "self-adhesive felt blanket". It worked nicely on my first MS and will be one of the first things that I'll add to the new one due to arrive shortly.