Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy Hot Handles, Batman!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a radiation heating issue. The air temperature is not a significant factor (unless it's cold enough or windy enough to offset). I'm in CT and have had it happen twice. Both times parked outside for about 2 hours with the sun at an angle that maximized the heat transfer. Handles facing the sun were very hot. Air temp was less than 90F both times.

or hold down the keyfob to roll down the windows and reach inside to open the door. Learned this trick today since my external drivers door handle stopped working.
Yup, I did this @ Buelton, CA, supercharger when my driver handle decided to misbehave.

Do it more than 3 times and you really wish they had an "all windows up" fob or 17" button.

I'd be worried that the tape adhesive would get too hot and I'd end up with a sticky mess all over the handle.

I raised this same concern about MarkR's felt solution. But he said it worked without any issues. I couldn't find the exact same tape at HD, looks like they only stock a similar product by another manufacturer, but its' likely identical.

I read up on gaffer's tape, never used any before, but it seems that it is meant for, and thus suited for, high temp situations. Would love to get any feedback on if it doesn't melt in the hell of the PHX summer. But now that we're past it, probably wont know til next year!

Has there been any other solution? My car is only a few months old and was parked in the sun on a 70-75 degree day, but the sun was shining right on the handles. "Burned" my son's hand when he tried to open. I thought he was just being stupid but went to open his door and it was quite hot.

I would love to see a carbon fiber handle upgrade. It would be lighter (the metal handles are decently heavy), and would not have the heat issues of the current handles.

I've mentioned both the hot handle issue and the idea for a carbon fiber handle to Tesla. Our local ranger thinks its a great idea, but hasn't heard anything about it being worked on at the factory.

I would love to see a carbon fiber handle upgrade. It would be lighter (the metal handles are decently heavy), and would not have the heat issues of the current handles.

I've mentioned both the hot handle issue and the idea for a carbon fiber handle to Tesla. Our local ranger thinks its a great idea, but hasn't heard anything about it being worked on at the factory.

Would certainly be one way to encourage people to buy the P85/+ packages if it were bundled in.

I'd love CF handles or at least some titanium ones. Either way I need a solutions to these super hot handles that happen so often in Las Vegas. I thought about some 3M wrap, but I like the chrome look of the handles, lower mirrors, and window trim. IMO it sets off the dark grey wheels for me and provides a little contrast. If everything was just black / grey it would just look too similar and the beauty would get lost.