Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy moly! NonP AWD is fast!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my AWD NonP this weekend and put it through its paces and man oh man, it’s much quicker than I thought. Feels MUCH faster than the RWD and to my butt dyno, feels about the same as the Performance I test drove a month or two ago!

For a while after pickup I was paranoid that they accidentally “uncorked” my AWD to perform like the P. If that’s the case, I hope they don’t “fix” it.

I’m one happy AWD NonP camper :) Best $4K I’ve ever spent!

Picked up my AWD NonP this weekend and put it through its paces and man oh man, it’s much quicker than I thought. Feels MUCH faster than the RWD and to my butt dyno, feels about the same as the Performance I test drove a month or two ago!

For a while after pickup I was paranoid that they accidentally “uncorked” my AWD to perform like the P. If that’s the case, I hope they don’t “fix” it.

Do you have underlined dual motor in the Tesla information screen? They have made mistakes by giving AWD to P owners so the other way is not impossible?

You should take it to the track to see what it does.

With my P3D+ it feels slower on the initial few feet than my 70D did, but after that it's basically insanity. It's so fast it's hard to enjoy because I'm almost immediately letting go of the throttle because I'm flying past 10 over the speed, and my rule is to keep it under that mark.

I can't wait to take it to the track/dragstrip/etc to test it out more throughly.

A-yup. ℬête Noire’s AWD preliminary mini-review

Within that is a cautionary tale.

Today I went back to the spot where my rear broke free a bit and I believe I have figured out what happened. Though not full stomp, I had really hit it and since this is a newish constructed highway the stop sign coming out of the neighbourhood is well back from the shoulder and the shoulder is rather ample in size itself so there's a good distance to middle of the highway. I believe that, even though I was already more parallel to the highway than perpendicular at that point in my curve, as my right rear crossed the crown in the middle I was traveling fast enough that, along with the wetness on the concrete (rather than asphalt), it got enough lift that it wasn't quite able to fully hold the lateral force on the backside downslope from the crown.

So something to watch for, you can accelerate so fast that you'll be able to get small bumps like that where you hadn't noticed them or thought of them being.

P.S. The major highways here are all concrete and a lot, like this one, don't have asphalt topping. Concrete has a very high friction coefficient when dry but it flips to worse than asphalt when went wet. To mitigate this when pouring they score groves into the concrete across from one side of the road to the other, helping you stop when you're going down the lanes. However this doesn't help nearly as much when your tires are trying to go sideways with the groves rather than against them, so also a contributing factor I expect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
My wife told her brother that I bought a Tesla.... his comments;

"Yeah, you tell your hubbie to be careful driving that thing, them cars 'er fast.... we had a doctor here pulling out of the parking garage and trying to show off to a few of the nurses and he launched the car into a concrete wall and totalled it".

My brother in law is in Texas, where everything is bigger, even the crashes.

I've drove all 3 versions of the model 3 and to me the RWD and AWD felt nearly exactly the same, and I was trying hard to notice a difference. But the Performance AWD was a completely different story, it felt so much quicker to me.
I’ve driven all 3 versions as well (rented RWD for a day and drove around 250 miles on it, put around 120 miles on my AWD this weekend and test drove the Performance with maybe 7-10 miles total driving). RWD experience pushed me to AWD since it felt sluggish in the acceleration - the lower end 0-30 felt slow. I don’t notice any lag or sluggishness with the AWD at all. I was expecting to be disappointed given the mixed reports on TMC (some say feels like RWD and others say it’s way faster). Lucky for me mine felt like the latter. Now I do wonder if there is some variation in the AWD output where some examples are slower than others.

If I didn’t know I had the standard dual motor, I could easily have been convinced they gave me a P.

Sluggish??? Maybe in Tesla land... That's like saying my F-15 is sluggish compared to your F-22.
I think it depends on your comparison point. I’m already familiar with the quiet linear acceleration of EVs since I own two others and have driven EVs for the last 7 years. However, those coming from an ICE would see that acceleration experience as novelty and say it feels faster than their ICE experience.

Reactions: ℬête Noire