Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Address Not Validated by USPS Database

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I've been down this road before ..
I live on a street called 27.5
Crazy -- I know. And not terribly creative, but I blame Dewey and I digress ...

Periodically I run into problems with businesses that cannot validate my address with whatever database they are using. The usual problem is the S/W choking on the period.
Sometimes 27 1/2 works
Other times it is 27 5/10
Or just 27 5

Now I am stuck with Tesla, apparently using a USPS database of unknown version.
Nothing I thought of works, and my attempts to ferret out the seekret address using usps tools has failed.
I thought about asking the postal carrier, but they have gotten used to parsing the address correctly (humans are *so* much more tolerant than s/w.)

Google, of course, has no problem with "27.5" so I cannot just find my home on the map and see what it called.

Any advice ?

Park your car at home, fire up the Tesla app on your smartphone and scroll to the bottom of the main screen. The iPhone version of the software gives the street address that the car thinks it's parked at. Copy that verbatim and you should have an address that the Model 3 can verify.

That, or call Roadside Assistance and make them figure it out. :)

What happens if you enter it here? ZIP Code™ Lookup | USPS

If it does not validate there, contact the USPS to find out what your address is.

I had a problem with an address. 164-1 Grand Central Parkway in Jamaica NY. Finally I entered 164-01 and USPS corrected it to 16401. Of course, the mail carrier had no problem delivering mail sent to 164-1 which is probably the way it was for years before USPS decided to "fix" it.

Reactions: SageBrush
Solved.

I suggested
27 5 to the Tesla ordering system
and it came back with a suggestion to use 27.5 instead !

Now why it didn't accept 27.5 in the first place is beyond me.
It may be the combination of the decimal number and Road designation. My home is <house number> Road 27.5
So not only does it have a decimal number, the 'Road' comes before the number. I may have been writing Rd. instead of 'Road' which added to the problems.

Having to guess the exact way the database entered the address is dopey. I wish they would just integrate a map for these atypical addresses, or let me put in unambiguous identifying information and a nearby street and then be given choices.

As an aside, a Road near me is designated 23.75
I sent a photo of the street sign to my Harry Potter loving daughter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Solved.

I suggested
27 5 to the Tesla ordering system
and it came back with a suggestion to use 27.5 instead !

Now why it didn't accept 27.5 in the first place is beyond me.
It may be the combination of the decimal number and Road designation. My home is <house number> Road 27.5
So not only does it have a decimal number, the 'Road' comes before the number. I may have been writing Rd. instead of 'Road' which added to the problems.

Having to guess the exact way the database entered the address is dopey. I wish they would just integrate a map for these atypical addresses, or let me put in unambiguous identifying information and a nearby street and then be given choices.

As an aside, a Road near me is designated 23.75
I sent a photo of the street sign to my Harry Potter loving daughter.

Wow, never knew addresses like that existed.

My guess: regex or some such along the chain makes it go crazy cause the '.' character isn't escaped as data but interpreted and depends how they formed the rest whether it can act as a good wildcard. With the space it allows the query to actually get executed regardless and apply fuzzy matching for suggestions. Easy to fix but probably never will be unless addresses like yours become common.

Regular expression - Wikipedia
Approximate string matching - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush